AT&T is going to drive me to drink

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mikegold, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Jun 8, 2019 #1 of 20
    mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    Yesterday, I had no problem watching the Women’s World Cup on 4K channel 105. Today, tried to tune in to the Norway-Nigeria game and got an error 721. Channel 104 is just fine.

Called the crack technical support at Directv/ATT and they sent a “reprogram” signal and told me to reboot the server. No change.

Called again to speak with someone who also had no clue, she then transferred me to another “tech support” rep. Again, lots of waiting, ridiculous questions and, finally, no resolution.

Apparently, they can’t help me and had to “endorse” my case to the “legacy department.” No explanation of what the hell that means, no response to why they can’t just address the problem with their equipment and software without bouncing my issue around the globe.

PS Vue is looking better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jun 8, 2019 #2 of 20
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Did they have you reset the Genie and the Client or just 1 of the units ?

3. Jun 8, 2019 #3 of 20
    mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    Just the server. I probably should try resetting the mini as well.

4. Jun 8, 2019 #4 of 20
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There is another thread on this. There was an outage of the 4K feed. Nothing to do with directv. Other providers had the same issue

5. Jun 8, 2019 #5 of 20
    mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    This makes it worse. Why wouldn’t they know that instead of running me through troubleshooting steps?

Also, I’ve never seen a 721 for a feed issue.

AZ. likes this.
  6. Jun 8, 2019 #6 of 20
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Not every rep is going to know every issue right after it happens

7. Jun 8, 2019 #7 of 20
    mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    If it’s a system wide issue, the information should be relayed to all reps. It’s not complicated.

dreadlk likes this.
  8. Jun 8, 2019 #8 of 20
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    It is when you have something happening in real time and several thousand reps who all may not be checking there notifications at that moment in different locations across the world

Kinda of like not checking recent threads to see if something was posted related to what you were posting about

MysteryMan likes this.
  9. Jun 9, 2019 #9 of 20
    mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    Kind of like understanding how to search your system notifications when a customer is on the line with you, asking about a very specific issue, rather than cycling through generic “solutions.”

Not complicated.

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    CSR: Can't Seriously Rationalize.

Rich likes this.
  11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Sounds like you have it down. You should get a job there for when one of us call

12. mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    You seem salty. Sounds like you’re a Directv employee.

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Nope But as someone who has overseen a call center environment with thousands of employees with calls coming in every second from people who shouldn't be allowed technology i understand where the challenges can be

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    As someone who's both work in and managed a call center, what mikegold is suggesting is not a reach. If there's a SYSTEMWIDE outage, CSRs should be notified, if for nothing else, to speed up their call times. In fact, there should be a bumper during wait time for the customer TELLING them there's an outage. I've seen that done by my cable company. If a CSR doesn't even KNOW how to search that up, then they should be fired. This is THEIR JOB!! Instead, this bunch forces users to do unnecessary trouble shooting steps, that waste both the their time and more significantly the customers. We used to rag on the old CSRs in the pre AT&T days, but they were MUCH better than these people. It's why I rarely bother to call them if there's an issue. It's usually a waste of at least 30 minutes of my time.

mikegold likes this.
  15. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    Part of the problem lies up the food chain. If Broadcast Ops has identified a problem they should be passing the information explaining the size and scope of the issue. Unfortunately, management becomes part of the problem if they don't convey the information to the parties that interact with the customer base. In the past if there was an issue a message would appear on screen. I'm not sure in today's world if CSR's have access to verify an issue. The CSR is usually the last one to know of the problem.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When I see an Internet problem I call Optimum immediately. I usually get a recording about the outage. If I don't get it I have to think the problem is in my home. This should be implemented by ATT but that's not gonna happen. Far too logical. A company that lets their CSRs say anything without oversight is always gonna be difficult to deal with.

Rich

mikegold likes this.
  17. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Five or six years ago Directv's broadcast center had a huge bank of monitors that showed every single channel, and had people actually looking at them. People who work there now report that was replaced it by an automated system (apparently in the works before the AT&T acquisition, in case anyone wants to blame it on AT&T) which perhaps doesn't work as well for detecting certain types of issues.

If it is comparing "is what is received off our satellites the same as what we uplinked to them" that's great unless the problem was introduced before that - either from the originating network or somewhere between their reception from the network (mostly using C band) and what they uplink. I have no idea how it works of course, but it does seem as though problems like this are reported more frequently than in the past, so something appears to be slipping thru the cracks.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When we had the Acquiring Guide Data problem the other day D* had a message ready and waiting for anybody that called that detailed the issue. They can do it and they do it.

Rich

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Heck, DirecTV had someone come here and monitor stuff and "off the record" sometimes tell us what's coming downstream. Those days are long gone.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    AT&T's CSR are more interested in selling us a mobile plan than fixing our issue. That's what I've noticed the few times I've had to call. I find that annoying and offputting.

TANK, Rich and jimmie57 like this.