1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T Logo On Satellite Dish In Place Of "D"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mrinker, Jul 27, 2016.

1. mrinker

mrinker New Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Colorado
    Had my Directv dish replaced and the first time I have seen this at all in our area. My new dish has the globe logo on it. Not used to seeing it this way but I guess we will see more and more show up around town. I attached 2 photos for everyone.

Attached Files:

2. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    Hope they DON'T do anymore Damage !
    Leave "DIRECTV" Logo Alone

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    AT&T bought DIRECTV. They can do whatever they want to do to the logo and everything else associated with DIRECTV.

Personally, I hope AT&T spends all their time changing logos, company letterhead, web sites and advertising and leaves alone all the really important stuff. Like programming, service, subscription fees, etc. Pipe dream, I know.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Nope, the Death Star reigns, DIRECTV is their show now, so get use to it. ...

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I've always custom-painted mine since my first dish (three-piece HD) back in 2002. Couldn't care less about the logo on any dish. Either painted it to closer match the house, or to look as nice (as possible) in the yard.

I even "camoed" one of them. Blended into the environment real nice and from a distance was harder to spot.

1 person likes this.
  6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Seen quite a few of them in my area over the past few weeks. Had a service call last week. Tech's truck now has the Death Star logo.

7. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I'd like to paint my dish also to make it less noticeable. Last time I had a service guy out to replace a defective receiver I had him change my old light grey dish for a darker grey one, but I'd like to go all the way to black. Any suggestipns re type of paint to use (or avoid) so as not to harm the dish's function?

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good thought! I'm kinda curious now that the subject has come up.

Rich

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This new dish has been around for about six months or even a little longer than that.

There was another variation to that dish that has the DirecTV logo instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Humm ...

Dish has little to no apparent tilt. Sub's longitude must be close to 101W.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

11. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I have seen very dark grey, black-looking Dish network dishes, so I don't think a dark color is going to hurt anything, other than making things hotter when the sun hits them.

Probably doesn't really matter the type of paint. Just make sure surfaces are clean. You could probably give them a light sanding, but I'm not sure that's necessary. I've always considered those greys a kind of "primer," anyway.

I just use a can of spraypaint with one of those cheap, pop-on applicator squeeze-handles. Yeah, you can get it "camo," too Actually comes in the can that way (no idea how it works, but it does). Works real slick. Probably a good idea to have a spare can and give it a couple or several light coats. Also be sure to carefully mask the "feed horns," or whatever those white plastic things on the LNB are called.

I've had no problem with the paint staying on all the sprayed parts, even the plastic LNB housing.

I've never tried housepaint, so I can't speak to that. However, I can't recommend messing with it at all if you have to go up on a ladder to do it. In the case of a roof or high wall mount, probably best to paint the pieces before the assembly/install.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    A hot dish doesn't hurt in the summer, since it is just a reflective surface. It may help in the winter, as snow would melt off more quickly - at least once any part of the black surface is exposed.

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Surprised these arent on ebay yet

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    just avoid glossy/reflective painting, to prevent heating up the LNBF by sun rays

15. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Straying even further off-topic, I'm assuming that applying Rust-Oleum NeverWet to the dish shouldn't be a problem. At least once or twice a winter I have to sweep off some heavy/wet snow that's sticking to the dish and blocking the signal. Thought this might remedy the problem.

16. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Excellent point! I should've mentioned this.

Well, just don't put it on before trying to paint the dish. I'd expect paint to not stick to a surface with this stuff on it. Afterwards, I wouldn't think it to be a problem unless it leaves the surface with the above-mentioned "glossy" appearance.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  18. DD GODFREY

DD GODFREY New Member

Friday
    I cannot agree more. Anyone thinking that the AT&T / DIRECTV merger will bring an upside is misinformed. Although in my current situation I think of it as a necessary evil. My other options are DISH TV and COMCAST. All three suck. I think I am going to cancel DIRECTV (a phone call I am looking forward to, I just love all the B.S. they try and offer me to save me. ) If I
    add HULU and continue using YOUTUBE all my bases will be covered.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Be prepared to follow thru with the cancel. Some CSRs have just said "OK" and started the cancellation process.