AT&T plans "tens of billions" in cost cuts, more layoffs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by espaeth, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Mar 4, 2020 #1 of 84
    espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    dreadlk and Dishdude714 like this.
  2. Mar 4, 2020 #2 of 84
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    With the exception of cord cutting , why aren't the telcos growing .

How can the telcos re gain the marketshare (in broadband and video) over cable cos ?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Mar 4, 2020 #3 of 84
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I couldn’t help but notice that they don’t want to call the cuts, cuts. Instead calling it ‘rationalization’! Typical management speak.

4. Mar 4, 2020 #4 of 84
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Some serious buyers remorse setting in. Unfortunately what I have seen of AT&T TV is not going to help...

5. Mar 5, 2020 #5 of 84
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Not possible....I’ve seen many, many posts on here that satellite is a healthy, viable business. This cannot be true.

6. Mar 5, 2020 #6 of 84
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    AT&T's cuts are referring to the entire company ...not just DIRECTV.

dreadlk and Rich like this.
  7. Mar 5, 2020 #7 of 84
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    When you make two huge acquisitions over the course of a few years you end up with a lot of duplicate systems for stuff like billing, accounting, HR and so forth. So one of the things you can expect with these cuts will be those of us remaining on Directv's billing system will be cut over to AT&T's system we hear such good things about! And similar elimination of duplication on the Warner side.

As a commercial customer, I'd hate to lose the good CSRs we get, while from the sound of their voices I think they've offshored mine they still remain very good so obviously are getting good training (probably promoting the best of the residential CSRs) so hopefully they don't cut too much there - considering what I pay I would be annoyed if I had to the deal with some of the clueless CSRs I've seen people post about here!

Directv's systems for commercial systems as far as online access and billing have always been TERRIBLE. Not only can I not pay my bill over the internet, I can't even VIEW my bill over the internet! Can't view my list of active receivers, the only functionality the web site offers me is changing my phone number (seriously!) So any change from Directv's to AT&T's systems cannot possibly make things worse for me unless they start sending me someone else's bills :)

Dishdude714 likes this.
  8. Mar 5, 2020 #8 of 84
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Things could get worse. They can print your DIRECTV bill in Spanish and reading it can be considered as viewing a PPV! :rolleyes:

Dishdude714 likes this.
  9. Mar 5, 2020 #9 of 84
    wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Telcos like your local telephone company or a diversified company like T?

T’s problems are relatively saturated markets in areas like cell service, TV delivery... and these markets have downward pricing pressures from the likes of T-Mobile and cord cutting.

Oh, and their response to cord cutting is to start up a duplicate of their overpriced service losing customers. And, from what I see on these boards, rollout of that service has some kinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Usual corporate BS. Don't want to admit they are in a state of panic and it's just getting worse. The article linked to in the OP makes it pretty clear ATT has given up on D*. No matter how much they deny it.

Rich

AZ. and Dishdude714 like this.
  11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, that's what stood out to me in that article this morning. Finally admitted the purchase was a blunder of epic proportions.

Rich

Dishdude714, Steveknj and mjwagner like this.
  12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, nothing to "lol" about. How stupid does streaming sound now?

Rich

dreadlk likes this.
  13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Unless ATT screws up the new service royally it might be a very good alternative to cable or sat. I'd expect a new service of this sort to have problems at first, I don't think we should jump on them because everything doesn't work correctly right off the bat.

We'll see in the next few months just how well the new service works, I hope they don't screw this up too badly. I've tried other cable replacement services and wasn't thrilled with any of them. ATTTV might be the best one out there but it will take some time to see if that's true. I'm gonna dump D* one of these days and I never want to take a step down. I thought every cable replacement service I tried was a step down from D* in PQ and ease of use. I look forward to trying out ATTTV. Not a fan of ATT, not after what they did to our good old D*, but...

Rich

dreadlk and Steveknj like this.
  14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yep, on one hand the ‘analysts’ (which is just another spelling of ‘guesser’) seem to think that at worst, ATT is a hold from what I read. Then you have the statements from ATT corporate like this one. Cutbacks all over the corporation including more job losses. In Wall Street speak that is known as ‘efficiency’.

Oddly ATT doesn’t really have an answer to the streaming world yet. Watch TV, Now and this latest one just really miss the mark with most viewers. If my choices were cable, sat or only ATTs streaming offerings, I’d stay with cable, others would pick satellite and a small smattering would pick ATTs streaming.

Fortunately for me, my remote works well, my Tivo is getting all my locals. The combo of Sling Blue, Hulu basic and CBS:AA fill in the blanks. All for about $40 less per month than my cable ‘deal’ and way less than any offering from satellite.

If I was in an area that couldn’t get the locals via antenna I would get YouTubeTV as it covers most bases pretty well at a fair price. Rich, you wouldn’t like YTTV since they dropped Yes! :)

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If I was a D* subscriber now and happy with what they offered, I’d stick with them. Yeah, it costs a bit more especially if you have lots of their hardware, but it brings more to the table. NFLST, all the RSNs you can stand and a great picture.

ATTs latest streaming offer just isn’t a good deal at all IMO. Even if their little box worked a whole lot better than it is reported to, it just is missing too many things.

As to how well it will work going forward? Well, the box has been out in the wild for quite some time and Watch TV and Now have been out there too, so what do you really think is going to change?

ericknolls likes this.
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That was the only reason I tried YTTV. YES. Without it, I would have no use for YTTV.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have no idea what's gonna change. I was unhappy when we finally got the AP app on the ATVs but that got fixed. I think we have to give them some time to get straightened out. If D* expired tomorrow I don't know what I'd do. For sports.

Rich

18. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    You’d probably go with ATTs streamer as it has most of what D* has and the PQ is reported as being good though I haven’t seen anyone that actually compared PQ between the two. It does save a few bucks over D*’s pricing as long as you can live with the 3 stream limit.

For sports fans streaming still has huge holes but you know that will change going forward.

Here’s a little math. If you sign up for ATTs new service at the Entertainment level for $50/month 1st year and cancelled at the end of the 1st year and paid the ETF your total out of pocket would be about $65/month. At that time you could see if something else came along that would fit the bill better and not be killed in cost in the meantime. Similar math for the other levels. Annual cost of each level + $180 ETF.

242424 and Rich like this.
  19. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Dishdude714 and Steveknj like this.
  20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hoping, praying the sky doesn't fall...

Rich