1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T raising their early termination fee

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Chris Blount, May 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    According to the Wall Street Journal, AT&T will nearly double the early termination fee going from $175 to $325. Would only apply to new contracts and starts June 1.

It was only a matter of time since Verizon did it a while back. I think this is another clue that AT&T is losing (not loosing) their iPhone exclusive.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That sucks. And to be clear, that is on smartphones, and covers contract renewals as well as new subscribers. On other phones, they are lowering it by $25. Any word on how much it will go down per month?

3. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Well, this virtually guarantees that I will leave AT&T when my contract is up. And I suspect I will not be alone.

4. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Why? If you stay a loyal customer, the amount of the cancellation fee is moot. Not like you'd ever be charged it, right?

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I guess I really don't get the hubbub about early termination fees.

You know going in that if you don't last the agreed upon term, you are subject to a fee... but if you do abide by the terms, then you never pay the fee.

Also, they aren't raising it on existing contracts (which would be sneaky and illegal)... but rather on new contracts after June 1st.

Seems like a non-issue unless you were planning on breaking the contract... and if you plan on breaking the contract, why sign at all?

6. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Good points Stewart.

This doesn't concern me at all.. not only because it doesn't apply to me.. but also because I'm not going anywhere. Voice & data at the same time has become a huge part of my usage, and I'm not giving that up. It's too bad Verizon people don't know what they're missing. You'd use it a whole lot more than you think if you had it.

You do have to admit though... this is very interesting timing. You have to wonder if Verizon is about to get ahold of the iPhone.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't have a problem with it at the front of the contract, but I don't think you should still have a $100 etf at the 23rd month. If the etf goes down by $10 a month, you end up at $95.

Course at one point, you paid the same etf at month 2 and 23.

8. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Translation: It's gonna cost more to jump to Droid :lol:

9. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Verizon and Sprint already had the higher ETF on smartphons, ATT is bring up the back of the pack again. Think the tier 3 and 4 level providers are the only ones that still do not have the higher ETF

10. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    No big deal. I've been with them for 8 years and have never known what the ETF was or cared. I need a phone and ATT works well for me so the odds of me cancelling early are slim to none.

Apparently the higher ETFs are only for the IPhone and they actually lowered the ETF for standard phones.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I've been with them since it was Bellsouth wireless... then re-branded to Cingular... and then re-absorbed by the "new" AT&T.

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    The same people that complain about ETF's would go nuts if they had no ETF's, but had to pay $500-800 for a smartphone. Which you can do.

I bought my daughter a Pantech Impact for her birthday. Cost with 2-year renewal: $25. Cost with no contract extension: $250. So even with a $175 ETF, it would still be cheaper than the full cost of the phone.

13. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I just hope they bring some decent Android phones into the mix here soon.....I keep trying to look at the iPhone, but the Google Mail support sucks, and that is a larger priority than the phone I use.

14. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    You mean gmail? I have it on my phone with no issues. Now the mail viewer sucks, but that is supposedly getting an overhall with 4.0.

15. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I use google apps, but yes essentially gmail.

I have messed around with it on my iPod Touch. IMAP works ok, and allows you to use labels by using folders, but no push. Google Sync works ok, and allows push, but there is no way to trash items (trash archives), and label support is only folders again. There also is the webapp which displays really nicely, but no push and it is slow at times.

No threading, no proper label support, no proper push support unless you want to lose the trash, all make it a kludge. It really is not the iPhone's fault or Google's fault. The iPhone works great as a normal email client, and Google has a different approach that does not interpolate to IMAP well (the labels system). I know its love or hate with the way Google does mail, but I quite like it after using it for many years and just using their webmail client all the time. The main use for a new phone for me is email/calendar so it is important it works properly with Google. At this point android seems like the only one that does.

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    It's for any smartphone, not just the iPhone.

17. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm bailing for the EVO. Out before the increase. My iPhone has just become so boring and the new model doesn't seem to be bringing much more innovation. Sprint has a 30 day FULL refund policy so I will still have time to hear what Apple has to offer but I expect nothing more than what has leaked.

I really think the main reason for the increase it to slow down the big resale market for the iPhone on eBay and Craigslist when they first get released. AT&T is losing a lot of revenue from that.

Besides, like charging for airline baggage, once one company gets away with it the others aren't far behind.

18. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    My only problem with the ETF is that I use my phone alot. Two years is too long for the same phone. I do get the break at 18 months, but even that seems too long.

19. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I've never understood why people are up in arms about ETF/ECF's. Not for the reasons mentioned above but really the only reason I would cancel most services is if they really did something that I considered to be over the line or if I needed to save money. Most of the time I could suspend the service and pay the same amount of the bill and have the ECF paid off within a month or two. Cell is a little different now because with 3 smart phones you're around a grand, but all that really does is make me not buy smart phones for my kids and takes the $20 data plan they would gain away. It's really just going to force family's to evaluate the phones they get for their kids. Adults won't skimp but now I won't buy new smart phones for the kids when they're up for an upgrade. This means I will essentially save $60 a month. I have Verizon so this is nothing new as they did it before but I did send them a letter letting them know they're going to lose over $1,000 dollars in 2 years because they chose to give a penalty that I probably won't even have to worry about. I think our cell phone industry is going to be in a rude awakening in a few years when tablet pc's become more popular and data plans are out there. It's only a matter of time before google voice or skype can get to be mainstream. They're already announcing text messaging only plans and you don't buy a smart phone to text only.

20. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    This isn't a 'use your phone too much' charge. Using and upgrading your phone before your 2 year discount has nothing to do with an ETF... as long as you stay in the ATT system.

Now, if within 18 months you're switching to Verizon - then Sprint - then back to ATT...yeah, this'll suck big time for you.

Other than that this has no bearing on phone upgrades. It is a TERMINATION fee for their services, not a raised fee on upgrading your phone...