AT&T starts showing pause ads with motion and sound on DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GordonGekko, Dec 10, 2019.

1. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    AT&T starts showing pause ads with motion and sound on DirecTV

I ask that anyone who cares, please tweet/Facebook/email/phone in your complaints, this guy should be fired:

However, Brian Lesser, the CEO of AT&T's Xandr advertising division, contends the telecom still sees the new ads as "non-interruptive." Lesser went on to claim that research suggests people "would rather see immersive advertising than a freeze-frame of a screensaver of something else."

Pausing Your Show? New AT&T Ads Will Start to Roll (EXCLUSIVE)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If I absolutely had to choose I would go with the "immersive" advertising. I think he has a point. And he can sub to that app and "immerse" himself in those commercials as much as he wants. I'd rather stream. Yeah, you could probably make the assertion that a whole bunch of executives at ATT should be fired if they had anything to do with this.

Rich

gio12 likes this.
  3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    This started months ago

4. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    AT&T: You get an ad! You get an ad! Everyone here today gets an ad! :D

5. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Static ads. Full motion and sound is news to me.

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Does it really matter? Tivo started ads before your recordings.. You want to ***** there is your issue. Why the F would i care what plays while something is paused.

7. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I've seen the freeze frame ads but not the ads with motion and sound yet.

8. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Have yet to see one.

Sometimes we'll pause what we are watching to take a phone call - as much to mute the sound as to not lose our place in the show. So now pausing will not mute the sound?

dreadlk likes this.
  9. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    So now I'll pause and switch to HDMI3 where the Apple TV is connected with the silent moving images. :D

10. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Is there a way to combine functions with the Harmony remote, pause, switch to hdmi3(Apple TV), hit pause or a different button, play, switches back to hdmi1 (Directv)?

To the person who does not care, that's great if you don't care, this is for the people that do care.

Rich likes this.
  11. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    In glorious Dolby 4k!

Yes - you can do that in the Harmony app. I would consider using a separate unused button than the pause one in case you want to pause for only a second or two.

12. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I don't have a Harmony remote but I can tell Alexa to PAUSE, switch to HDMI3....then switch back to HDMI1 and then PLAY when ready to resume. The problem with that is I have to hit a button on the Apple TV remote to bring it to life. It would be nice if it came on automatically when I switch to HDMI3. I'll have to try Google on my TV and see if I can make it do all of this via voice controls.

13. LTYRS

LTYRS Member

Sep 23, 2019
    So I will no longer pause, just exit and when ready hit previous.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    The problem is, often I pause due to a phone call or having a conversation with someone. Having immersive ads mean that I now have to pause and mute as well. Adding this to the many changes AT&T has made not for the best might be the last straw. Only reason I'm sticking with this rather than going back to cable is because my son wants his own DVR so he can control his own list of recordings. I could actually save money be moving fully to Altice (where I already have internet) I could get internet/the biggest TV package (with all the premiums) and phone for $50-$70 less total than I'm paying now using DirecTV for TV, Vonage for phone and Altice for internet.

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    A few months ago I started to see this ad's. The ones of videos were always pausing/stuttering on my C61K's making them useless. I use Twitter to express my displeasure with having DIRECTV take over my TV negating my pausing of programming so I could do things like answer a phone call and not have the TV playing in the background. Since then all I see are the usual DIRECTV ad's when the screensaver comes on.

16. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    Just turn your tv off when you pause, problem solved.

I usually only pause if I i have to leave the room, so even if I left the tv on, the ad wouldn't seen by anyone.

17. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    With my setup, the sound comes from my AVR, and I also use my AVR to switch inputs. Because I use a Harmony to control it all (only remote in the room), if I turn off the AVR I would lose my place in the show I paused. I may program the AVR to mute itself when I press 'pause' for the DVR if this gets annoying for me.

I have yet to see one of these ads with sound, btw.

18. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Does anyone know how they will be delivered, internet or satellite ? I disconnected from the internet when they started the PPV ads last year. Still enjoying the Deathstar logo.

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Probably internet so you may be safe

20. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just press the mute button.