AT&T strikes again!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gio12, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:52 AM.

1. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    So a few weeks ago I called about moving my service. After several calls and tweets about paying a $199 to move, I was happy with my credits.

So this past Saturday rolls around.I have a 124 window for DIRECTV and Comcast for internet scheduled. Comcast again shows up at 1pm, very nice installer and done in 1 hour. Like last year, on time and great service.

Well 4:30 rolls around and not a word form AT&T. I called and get we are sorry e did not show up. WE can reschedule. I sat home form work for this! So install is a week later and nothing form DIRECTV for the time missed. HATE this new AT&T! Left them for internet 2 years ago and been so happy. Have them for cell service since 1990 and SICK of issues in the last 4 years. It might be time to leave them for everything. So now using a free trial of DIRECTV NOW in the mean time and its sucks! Guide in weird order and just odd to use. HULU and PS VUE seems better and looks like where I am going to try soon. No more boxes, installs, holes in walls, etc.

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    If you don’t think this happened before ATT. You were living under a rock

3. Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    Massachusetts

You looked into Xfinity Mobile? That's my first move next month when the Galaxy 10 arrives. I know people who are Apple users have had trouble with them with Wifi calling, but have heard few if any problems on the Android side. If you haven't looked at them do it. They piggyback on Verizon's network.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yep, the only news in that post was that Comcast showed up when they were scheduled. You either got very lucky, or they have changed a lot recently!

compnurd likes this.
  5. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Yes, they have! 3 installs in the last 2.5 years. Always on time, fast, courteous and amazing customer service all around. They have turned it around.
    Been with D* since 2000 and have watched excel and then flop badly under AT&T. CS among the dumbest and horrible. Been with AT&T since the Bellsouth days and in the last 3 years, have watched them fo firm flawless to absolute garbage. From Cellular, Internet to DIRECTV!!!

Done. This November, moving to Verizon for cellular or T-Mobile.
    TV either now or Jan to Comcast or a streaming service. AT&T will be out of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    No, not yet and I have iPhones. Will try their TV soon. Friends in the area say its whole new game the last 3 years. Great PQ and DVR now. on demand great too.

So no 4K. Who cares. Not much on D* anyways and I pay for an extra box to have 2) 4K tvs running.

7. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Never had issues in the past. 2 installs smoothly and many service calls.
    All I asked for was communication. DIRECTV/AT&T could care less!!!
    Takes 2 min to text, cant make it.
    CS in this day and age sucks and NO WORK ETHIC anymore.

8. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Update: After Saturday's screw up, DIRECTV/AT&T schedule me for this past Tuesday. Well, I could not do that so called AND rescheduled via ext twice. Sunday and Monday I get texts telling me about Tuesday appointment. I assumed a mistake. 12:05 a DIRECTV/AT&T "Authorized contracter" shows up. So I figured why not.
    He comes in and I show him where I want the TV outlet, etc. He says we have a problem. My Comcast internet is on the cable he needs (WTF?) I explained Comcast showed up on Saturday and ran a new line for internet. He then explains I have to pay for new cabling. I said yes, part of $199 move. He says no but will call is supervisor. Then says "I need to run home down the street to get my drill. It will take 15 min."

He comes back 75 min later. Proceeds to install dish too low on my concrete wall near my water pump.! F* it, it's mounted. Now he runs cabling to the spot. Being lazy and not securing the wire against house. Used zip ties to piggy back on Comcast great work. No comes the fun part. He start to drill for 5 min and says he cannot go through the wall. I see he is using a regular drill bit and try not to question him. I explained it just cinder block and AT&T put a hole 3" away last year. I turn away and he tries another spot!!!! Again he gets half way and get get through. Now I am upset and tell him its his drill bit. Nope he says rebar or metal in the way as the tip got red. Just as I was about to say, cancel the install and send some to repair and paint my freshly painted walls, he tells me he is running to Home Depot to try another bit. 1 /12 hours later returns after I assume lunch and a siesta to try again. 3 more bits and he is stuck. he is about to quit when guess what? he pulls out a Bosch masonry bit and goes through the wall like butter.

Now he runs cabling. No wall plate, no grommet in the hole. (i have plaster walls so looks like crap now. Then using screwed in cable clips in wall to secure cable like crap! One falls out leaving another hole I must now patch.

I called and complained to DIRECTV/AT&T again (first time about charge and they have his badge number.) and basically nothing was done. Was told MGNT form the loyalty dept would call and I am still waiting for someone.

When my contact is up next January, I am done with DIRECTV/AT&T. I will go to Comcast for TV or a streaming service. AT&T lost me for internet almost 2 years ago and I was with them since 1990. Going to lose me for Sat now after 18 yrs. This November, leaving AT&T Wirless since 1988 for Verison or T-Mobile for years off issues and now horrible cell reception at new house. Towers not fixed since Irma last year.

Been and very happy AT&T customer since 1998 for many services, 2-3 years ago, service when south and I stuck wit them (sister worked for AT&T for 15 yrs.) but the time has come.
    iTs been painful to watch and I am just done. This install was the final straw!

9. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Anyone who is going to complain about the quality of cabling runs should do their own or hire a third party. Directv has always done the bare minimum to get the cable where it needs to go. They aren't going to install wall plates, fish cables etc.

compnurd likes this.
  10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Really? Both Dish and Mediacom installs at my new house used wall plates without me asking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rich likes this.
  11. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Excuse me? Had DIRECTV wire several houses and never been this bad. Always had that little white grommet at minus installed. Always been a clean install and cables secured properly and neatly.

12. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Yep, Called professionalism. Comcast did the same thing.

Rich likes this.
  13. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Are the standards that low?

14. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    Welcome to the 21st century, it's like that everywhere, the people that don't know that they don't know are running the show.

15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Did they do a proper wall plate - with a wall box and coupler - or did they just poke a hole in the wall and nail a wall plate in the drywall over a straight cable running through from outside? Because that's what Mediacom did at my parents house.

I guess you could argue that's better than what gio12 got, but only by 75 cents and 30 seconds of effort.

16. unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    They failed TWICE to do a move/install for me last November/December. Never showed up and never contacted me. While spending hours on the phone sorting it out I was told that they are "transitioning systems" and that is supposedly part of the problem. It seemed to me that they were touching no less than 3 different "systems". The agent was working with at least 2 other "departments" at the same time I was on the phone with them. Total f'ing chaos. I wasn't about to try a 3rd time (and another 2 week wait) so I hired my own guy to install the dish and connect to my wiring. ATT credited me the $199. Its a miracle I still have service and my account actually shows my new address.

I'm down to 1 receiver now and in my new house its in the basement where the utilities come in - using an HDMI extender to get to my TV. I don't want those idiots in my house. I don't want them running a single wire. The dish is on a pole so they can't screw that up (hopefully). I hope I never see another DirecTV/ATT installer again.

The service I have now is hanging by a thread. Fiber internet and TV is only a couple of miles from my house. When it gets here DirecTV is toast.

gio12 likes this.
  17. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Mediacom outside was just a hole that was sealed up. Inside a wall plate with coupler. Nice neat job. Dish just did as you describe, but Mediacom corrected it using a dual wall plate with coupler setup with labels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There is a ton of old horror stories of Directv contractors doing work like this. Ton

19. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    But does AT&T still allow for third party installs and activations?

20. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Yes, mine was. Last install was a AT&T person. Pretty nice job with wiring. Left an extra hole as he messed up. Rental house so...