AT&T to Deliver an Array of Enhancements with NBCUniversal’s Coverage of the 2016 Rio Olympics, Aug.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by James Long, Jul 30, 2016.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    AT&T to Deliver an Array of Enhancements with NBCUniversal’s Coverage of the 2016 Rio Olympics, Aug. 5-21

DIRECTV and U-verse Customers Will Have Access to Olympic Mix Channels and Interactive App; DIRECTV to Deliver NBC’s 4K Coverage of Key Events

AT&T*, in agreement with NBCUniversal, will offer a wide array of enhancements with its delivery of NBCUniversal’s coverage of the Games of the XXXI Olympiad from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

DIRECTV and U-verse customers can get multi-screen Mix channels, interactive services with in-depth event results and medal counts. DIRECTV customers with compatible 4K Ultra HD equipment and the DIRECTV ULTIMATE Package or higher will have access to the first 4K Ultra HD (UHD) coverage of select Olympic events, including Opening and Closing Ceremonies.** DIRECTV customers can tune into an 8-screens-in-1 Mix Channel when the Games start Friday, Aug. 5, through Sunday, Aug. 21.

The Mix Channel networks will include:

NBC
    NBCSN
    Golf Channel
    Bravo
    CNBC
    MSNBC
    USA Network
    NBC Universo

Watch the networks simultaneously, on one screen. AT&T U-verse TV customers can view a 4-screens-in-1 mix on the U-verse Multiview channel.

Multiview channels are:

NBCSN
    Bravo
    USA Network
    Local NBC affiliate

While viewing the Mix channels, DIRECTV and U-verse customers will also have access to more features. Mix offers on-screen interactive apps for simultaneous viewing of NBCUniversal’s events by date and sport; real-time medal counts, plus video clips and extras.

NBC’s 4K UHD coverage on DIRECTV will include footage from the Opening and Closing Ceremonies (on a two-and-a-half hour delay), along with swimming, track and field, basketball and judo, all on a one-day delay, as well as Rio scenics. View one event from the previous day’s competition daily from Aug. 6, the day after the Opening Ceremony, through Aug. 22, the day after the Games end.

“Our customers can easily keep track of their favorite events by watching the Mix channel. They’ll get real time results, medal counts and NBC video highlights at the touch of a remote button,” said Dan York, chief content officer for AT&T. “And see one of the world’s most spectacular cities through our delivery of 4K Ultra HD. It will give DIRECTV customers a breathtaking visual.”

AT&T DIRECTV and U-verse video subscribers will also have multi-platform access to NBCUniversal’s unprecedented 6,755 hours of Olympic programming.

NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports app will once again feature live streaming coverage of Olympic competition, plus event rewinds and extensive video highlights. Customers can also use DIRECTV and U-verse apps to stream live Olympic content that is airing on NBCUniversal’s broadcast and cable channels.

http://about.att.com/story/att_to_deliver_nbcuniversal_coverage_olympics.html

1 person likes this.
  2. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    And yet, this announcement doesn't appear on the dbstalk news page along with all the dish network press releases

4 people like this.
  3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, the news page should be relabelled "Dish news" because that's all it includes...

3 people like this.
  4. BusterAvis

BusterAvis Legend

Jul 13, 2012
    Looks like DirecTV officially aren't going to add the two additional Olympic channels for soccer and basketball.
    Everyone else (Comcast, Charter/Time Warner, Dish Network) has already announced they will carry them.

1 person likes this.
  5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I doubt that. I expect they will be on.

I wonder if the opening ceremonies will end up on demand and therefore available to anyone that has 4K on HR 44 etc.

6. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    It's interesting that you point that out. I recently came back into the Directv fold (late March) and started visiting this site again and have been astounded by how little Directv information and news it carries now. What in the hell happened to this place?

7. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Just my opinion, but I think it has a lot to do,with the cutting edge fight

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    We're getting off topic here, but I think it was explained better in the DISH thread by KyL416 (

If you look at any of the web sites that host press releases, every AT&T release contains the word "DIRECTV". If strictly an AT&T release, then in the closing paragraphs when it discusses AT&T, they all mention that DIRECTV is owned by AT&T.

I use the PR Newswire site and when I search for DIRECTV, I find pages of releases, but only a few relate to DIRECTV.

So the News updates for DIRECTV can't be automatically done like they are for DISH.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DIRECTV's website has a link to "Press Releases" ...
    http://www.directvpresscenter.com/

Yep, no press releases there ... but there is a banner link:
    http://about.att.com/category/all_news.html

"Entertainment" press releases are a few clicks in:
    http://about.att.com/allpostpage.html?page=1&category=Entertainment&months=All&searchkey=null&x=0&y=0

AT&T has decided not to have an RSS feed for these releases. They have some RSS feeds, but nothing specific to DIRECTV or even "Entertainment". Our "news feed" relies on RSS.

That being said, does anyone want to discuss DIRECTV's Olympic coverage? :rolleyes:

10. BusterAvis

BusterAvis Legend

Jul 13, 2012
    The clock is turning toward Monday, golf coverage is over on DirecTV, but still no sign of the Olympic soccer & basketball channels, in any press release, or on the guide.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-watch-rio-2016-olympic-games

"SPECIALTY CHANNELS

NBC Olympics will provide NBCUniversal distribution partners with two Olympic specialty channels – one each for basketball and soccer. The specialty channels will focus 779 hours of content solely on each of their respective sports nearly every day of the Games. The soccer channel begins programming on Wednesday, August 3, two days prior to the Opening Ceremony, with women’s soccer coverage. The basketball channel begins its coverage on Saturday, August 6."

The soccer channel launches Wednesday, the basketball channel launches Saturday.

12. Eben

Eben Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    Any word what numbers DirecTV will use for the specialty channels?
    Edit: Looks to be 706 and 707.

13. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They're now in the guide
    205-1 OLYSC
    205-2 OLYBK

1 person likes this.
  14. BusterAvis

BusterAvis Legend

Jul 13, 2012
    Yeah, I saw that too.
    Strange channel selection for them.
    Hopefully they are in HD and not just standard definition.
    Usually the -1 channels (such as channel 646-1 or what not) are in HD.

15. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They are only in HD, there is no SD version in the guide. Since they're part time, they're currently pointed to the same Ka Offline standby slate like all the other part time HD channels do when not in use

16. BusterAvis

BusterAvis Legend

Jul 13, 2012
    Yeah, I see where my TV is saying that these two channels are in 1920 x 1080i resolution.
    Looks like both channels are going to be broadcast in 1080i and not 720p.

17. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    It would be nice if they would mirror all of the Olympic channels to one area in the guide, say 701-710.

18. Eben

Eben Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    Thanks, I saw USO for 706 707 and mistook that fot the olys. They are indeed 205-1 and -2.

19. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    The subchannels/alternate -1, -2, etc channels on the RSNs are available in SD and HD. Some of the SD RSN alternates contain programming that the HD doesn't.

Since 205 is a channel that is only HD, i would assume that the -1 and -2 would be, too, but I haven't found any indication on the events that they are HD. I bet they are, though.

20. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    They effectively will be all together, if you start looking on 205. All* of the channels will be availble right there. The guide data is kinda broad for the Olympics so it isn't the most necessary.

*The list includes the channels that will be in the mix. There is no mention of Telemundo, but I see Olympic events scheduled there on the guide.