1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T To Impose Caps, Overages

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Broadband Reports was the first to learn, and has confirmed with AT&T, that the company will be implementing a new 150GB monthly usage cap for all DSL customers and a new 250 GB cap on all U-Verse users starting on May 2. From March 18 to March 31, AT&T users are going to be receiving notices informing them of the change in the company's terms of service.

More here: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Exclusive-ATT-To-Impose-Caps-Overages-113149

2. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    This is really tough for me (I think) I use DirecTv on demand and nextflix streaming only. AT&T or Timewarner are my only options for internet. But I will be th efirst to admit I might be worrying over nothing, I do not know how many movies that actually is...... I also use a crackle account on my google T.V.

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Yeah. 250GB is a lot of data. I'm not even sure I use that much in a month but it could really add up especially if you watch a lot of HD movies. I have Time Warner and I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop.

4. chachster

chachster Legend

Aug 25, 2004
    I'm hoping it is a non-issue for me. I just converted from ATT DSL/POTS, DirecTV to the U-Verse triple play TV/Internet/Phone. Four days later I see the post at Broadbandreports.com. If I still had DirecTV and did the On-Demand (on-download as I used to call it) that would make me think twice before going to the on-demand section.

I guess it's a waiting game to see how this all settles out. Will they implement and rescind? How will they prove their meter is accurate? I have no easy way of telling my actual usage as I'm all ethernet connected to the iNID and my totals are TV/VOIP/Internet together.

I'm not sure if there is a U-Verse business class I could switch my internet to and even if there is would the price be worth it or just pay the $10, $20 overage. I used to enjoy not thinking about using it. I don't consider myself a heavy user as I don't do Netflix, but I do download itunes stuff, telecommute once in a while, play xbox 360, ps3...

5. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    still waiting for them to put up the "tools".. I have absolutly no idea how much I use..

6. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    Me Too, but last month has been a slow month, watched no movies, been remodeling so my G/F and her kids can move in.....

(on a side note, maybe she will join here since she will be banned from DBTalk as my IP address is blocked there, LOL)

7. chachster

chachster Legend

Aug 25, 2004

http://www.myusage.att.com/

It may or may not work yet. Since I just switched I just see it tell me that my service was disconnected.

8. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    I checked it.. it worked thanks for the link!!!! I wonder how 2 kids playing games 24/7 on weekends and G/F doing stuff will impact it? Can't wait to see....

9. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    Is this on business accounts too? We have AT&T here and I email alot of AutoCad files, it is pretty easy to hit 150gb in a month here?

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Thanks for the link. Doesn't work for me yet (says the tool is under construction). It'll be interesting to see what pops up for me since we have no cable we use Hulu and Netflix quite a bit to supplement our OTA antenna.

While I hate the fact of a bandwidth cap my understanding that even high quality Netflix movies are only 1-4 gig each so that's a LOT of movies. So I don't think even with our "heavy" usage it won't add up to half the cap. But I'll see once the tool is available.

11. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Thanks for the link. Doesn't work for me yet though...

12. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    I was able to login but it said it was under construction. Were you shown usage info?

13. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    250 gb per month. 8.3 gb per day should be enough for me even streaming of Netflix by the kids. I am not happy about the cap. Got to pay to play they say.

14. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    There is a bar that goes from 0 to 150GB and so far I've only used 6....

15. ramblin wreck

ramblin wreck New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    We have gone strictly OTA and netflix now. We stream tv shows every night with very few movies so far. None in HD at this point. March 1st to present 17GB of usage reported by the ATT tool.

16. inkahauts1367066121

inkahauts1367066121 New Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Link has no numbers for me yet, but I like that you can see current, previous, and historical. Looks like it will show all this year's usage...

17. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Comcast has been doing the same thing for awhile. Even with the kids out of school so much for snow/ice and holiday vacations, the most we've used over the last three months has been 131 gb in December.

18. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Found out you can see how much bandwidth you have used by looking at your 2wire router/modem stats. It will be everything from the last time it was restarted. Note that it also includes TV and phone so if you have those then it may not be an accurate picture for just Internet and you'll have to wait for the monitoring page to work for you.

Anyway, in the past 28 days I have used just over 76 gigs of Internet only on my Uverse connection. Note that I am completely "cable free" and have just OTA, Netflix, Hulu and other online resources. So I think we're just fine that even in a heavy usage month we'll be well under the cap limit.

19. chachster

chachster Legend

Aug 25, 2004

That' good. Since I have all three I really have no idea of my usage. I keep checking the myusage, but that keeps saying not ready yet. I'm hoping I am under.

20. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    More @ DSLReports.com