AT&T TV / AT&T TV Now - Pricing Thread (Premier pkg launched 7/29/20)

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by techguy88, Jul 29, 2020.

1. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    So AT&T's launch of the streaming version of Premier is finally here and is available on both AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now. The main channel lineups for both services haven't been updated yet but the Premier pkg is available to purchase during sign-up.
    • AT&T TV (Featured Package)
      • Price: $183.00/mo (regular price) / $129.99/mo (for the first 12 months)
      • Regional Sports Fee applies (up to $8.49/mo)
      • 24 month agreement req'd for new customers.
      • 1 AT&T TV device included
    • AT&T TV Now (Other Package)
      • Price: $183/mo (regular price) / No introductory pricing
      • No Regional Sports Fee
      • No agreement
      • Bring your own device
    Just like with all other packages Premier also includes 3 concurrent streams and the 500 Hours / 90 Days Cloud DVR. This new package includes all the channels in AT&T TV / TV Now Ultimate plus Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, HBO Max, Cinemax, Starz & Showtime. Movies Extra Pack, Epix & Spanish add-ons are not included.

The AT&T TV / AT&T TV Now version of Premier is $14 cheaper than DirecTV Premier which is $197/mo (this is comparing it to the All-Included version with a Genie HD-DVR receiver for 1 TV). I am thinking the reason the AT&T TV / AT&T TV Now version is cheaper than the DirecTV version is due to AT&T TV / AT&T TV Now lacking a "Sports Pack" that DirecTV has.
    • If you have a 3 room w/ Whole Home HD-DVR setup with DirecTV Premier then AT&T TV Now Premier would be $28-$37.99 cheaper since AT&T TV Now doesn't have an RSN fee.
    • Even if you go with AT&T TV Premier comparing the 2nd year (aka Regular) price to DTV Premier with the same setup you will still save around $28 - $30 because AT&T TV's RSN fee is slightly lower than DirecTV's RSN fee.
    • Interesting tidbit you can add both Movies Extra Pack & Epix to AT&T TV / TV Now Premier and the price would still be cheaper than DirecTV Premier with 1 Genie DVR. (AT&T TV / TV Now Premier w/ Movies Extra Pack & Epix is $194/mo; D* Premier w/ 1 Genie DVR without Movies Extra Pack & Epix is $197/mo.) o_O

b4pjoe likes this.
  2. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    So in the post above you show Premier on DirecTV as $197.00 per month and if I go to their website and view their packages it also shows the price as $197.00. I currently have Premier and I am being charged $174.99 for it. Does that mean there will be a $22.01 increase in the near future for Premier?

3. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Yikes, those price points seem out of touch with the current reality. But what do I know, I’m not a genius like the AT&T execs...o_O

techguy88 and gio12 like this.
  4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    LMAO!!! Then reality sets in and I realize I'm paying that much now. For sports I can't get.

Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A review of your bill would surely be useful here. Any discounts you're currently receiving should be itemized.

Between DIRECTV and AT&T there are several pricing schedules depending on when you subscribed so you can't necessarily compare your situation directly to the current offers.

6. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I am getting a $20 per month discount on Premier only. The bill lists Premier as $174.99 and with the $20 per month I'm actually paying $154.99. That discount rolls off on 8/27/20.

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What is the bottom line on your bill?

"All Included" plans are around $20+ more than older plans where you pay for receiver, whole home and DVR fees because those fees are rolled into the package pricing with "All Included".

Are you in the DIRECTV billing system or the AT&T billing system?

There are no fewer than four price schedules for Premiere service depending on when you signed up. Early plans have several different fees while later plan have fewer (in count) fees. There may even be some left who don't pay a receiver fee for their first receiver.

8. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Basically I am just talking about the price of the Premier plan but here it is.

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 3.28.24 PM.png

9. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Isn’t that the big problem with these maxi packages offered by AT&T? For that price, I can pay for internet, You Tube TV, HBO Max, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz. And that includes internet (pointing that out because it’s still an expense you have with the AT&T TV Premier package). So the AT&T TV packages actually costs over $250 per month when you add internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's little question that AT&T is asking for much higher than the going rate. The question will be which will change: the going rate or the AT&T's asking price. I think the cow is out of the barn on being able to demand commitments along with well above average pricing.

Your concerns about not including broadband in the price aren't lost on me. As 4k becomes more popular and broadband caps seem to be imposed on more users as time goes on, having to pay extra for unlimited service becomes a pretty big deal.

My comments were directed specifically towards why one person's bill might be substantially different from the current published price or what anyone else might be paying.

11. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I would have the internet service no matter what TV service I am using. Even with no TV service I'd still have internet.

mjwagner likes this.
  12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I will also pay for Internet regardless of TV choice ... but streaming pushes me closer to overage charges. So the choice becomes whether I want to pay more for Internet to get an unlimited plan or watch less streaming to stay under the cap. My normal Internet use is well below the cap ... work from home has increased my normal usage leaving less room for streaming before bandwidth becomes an issue.

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As I alluded to previously, there are some additional fee/charge line items that you're billed for that someone with an "All Included" package has included in their programming package price.

You're paying at least $23 ($10 for DVR service, $10 for HD service and $3 for Whole Home DVR service) that are included in the $197.99 Premier All Included programming package.

Clearly, the bottom line is the only number that counts.

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The difference is whether or not you need a higher speed tier and possibly a no-cap add-on if your usage demands it (something that could easily come into play households with two or more active streamers). I'm pretty sure I could live with a service that costs less than $30 if I weren't streaming videos.

15. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Depending on when you signed up depends on your pricing structure. Since AT&T has moved towards pushing Genie hardware (and not the Genie Lite) the All Included packages include the ARS fees and so many TVs as part of the price. Customers who are on the Itemized Pricing Structure will see Premier as $174.99/mo with all the ARS and TV fees listed separately.

For example I'm on the pricing model from 7/24/2014 so if I were to have Premier my bill would show (without my discounts from AT&T Wireless):
    • Premier $174.99
    • Advanced Receiver Service $15.00
    • Watch DIRECTV on 3 TVs $21.00
    • Regional Sports Fee $9.99
    The subtotal for that above would be $220.98/mo before taxes.

Here is a complete breakdown of all the DirecTV pricing models and how they compare to AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now (Premier is the example package for all):
    comparison.png

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    harsh likes this.
  16. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I have Spectrum internet 200/10. No data caps (YET). Same price as it was for 100/10. When 200/10 was available in my area it was a free upgrade. Currently it is $69.99 per month. I would have that same internet service whether I had TV service or streaming service. The only other option here is a local telco with 30/5 for $36.00 per month.

mjwagner likes this.
  17. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    @b4pjoe When comparing prices for AT&T TV / AT&T TV Now to DirecTV the easiest way is to use the All Included 1 TV pricing model since that is now the only pricing model AT&T is now selling for DirecTV. The 2020 prices for Entertainment - Ultimate & Optimo Mas on AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now are the 2019 prices for the DirecTV All Included 1 TV versions. AT&T TV's RSN Fee is also using the 2019 DTV pricing that's why AT&T TV's RSN fee goes up to $8.49 meanwhile D*'s RSN fee goes up to $9.99.

Essentially all AT&T did was combine the ARS fees and the 1st TV fee with the package price for the All Included versions after D* had so many advertising complaints because the most common complaint for DirecTV was they were advertising 1 price but the bill was at least $21 higher than advertised. Ever since 7/24/14 there was no possible way a new customer could get the advertised price since D* started charging $7/mo for the Primary TV.

For example when D* used to sell say... Select for $29.99/mo for 12 months and by the time the $15 ARS fee and the $7 Primary TV fee was added (since the lead offer was to get HD-DVR or Genie) the introductory price became $51.99/mo for 12 months. There was no way for any customer to get the $29.99/mo advertised introductory rate.

So AT&T created the All Included packages which combined the ARS fees with so many TVs. AT&T experimented with 3 different variations before they settled on making the All Included 1 TV variation permanent. Customers who have the All Included 1 TV variant pays almost the same as someone who has Premier ($174.99) + ARS ($15) + 1 TV ($7).

Now with the All Included 1 TV pricing model when AT&T advertises Select for $59.99/mo for 12 months the customer gets the $59.99 advertised price. The only time this varies is when they add additional receivers. (This covers AT&T's arse from legal repercussions if a customer complains AT&T can now say "Hey they wanted additional TVs and we told them they would be $7/mo/per additional receiver.")

When the yearly price increases come around all variations increase by the same amount. Like in 2020 Premier went up by $8/mo this increase was the same on the itemized versions of Premier and all variations of Premier (All Included).

So just because your paying $174.99/mo for Premier (before discounts) this does not mean your Premier package will increase by $22.01 in the near future. You just have the ability to remove DVR receivers for HD-only receivers and not pay the extra ARS-DVR ($10) and WH-DVR ($3) fees. (AT&T however will charge a one time fee of $99 per HD receiver if you downgrade from Genie.) All Included customers are not given this option as all the ARS/WH-DVR fees and the first TV is built into their package price.

That is the only difference between Itemized billing vs All Included billing.

18. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks for that explanation. Looking at the att.com website switching to AT&T TV Premier I could get it for $129.99/mo (for the first 12 months) with Regional Sports Fee of $8.49. I could reduce my bill from (before taxes) $238.37 to $138.48 (for first year). Which would be $191.49 in the second year. But I would l lose Sports Pack and the ability to get MLB EI and NFL ST. Tempting...I'd be saving $99.88 per month the first year and $46.88 per month the second year. Plus I'd get a $100 gift card. If only they could offer MLB EI and NFL ST I'd jump on it.

Edit...Is the MLB-TV app available on the AT&T TV box?

techguy88 likes this.
  19. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Your welcome. Yes MLB TV app is available on the AT&T TV device. In fact you can sign up directly with MLB, NBA and NHL and use their apps on the AT&T TV device. Here is a list I compiled when I had AT&T TV Now Max + Osprey.

It is a little outdated because this was before the launches of HBO Max & Peacock. HBO Max & Peacock work with the AT&T TV device. Something I didn't pay much attention to at the time if you have VRV Premium a lot of Shout Factory content is available on the VRV Selects channel through VRV Premium with no commercials.

Prime Video and Hulu's apps currently don't support the AT&T TV device but you can use the built-in Chromecast feature and cast content from those apps to the AT&T TV device (or side-load them.)

20. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    One other question. If a DirecTV user cancels his sat service are they eligible for the 12 month new pricing discount and the $100 gift card at AT&T TV?