AT&T TV - recording sports

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by dstout, Jul 26, 2020.

1. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I don't see a way to add extra time to sports recordings. Is it there and I am missing it?

2. Aug 1, 2020 #2 of 55
    espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    No option to extend recordings. Your best (and only?) option is to select the next program in the guide and record that as well.

3. Aug 1, 2020 #3 of 55
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    AT&T TV really needs to do some simple tweaks to improve their cloud DVR. How hard is it to offer an option to extend the timer? Or have a single screen that shows all the recordings you have set in case you want to delete or edit any of them? Those are base-level features of typical cable/satellite DVRs.

4. Aug 1, 2020 #4 of 55
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The second I agree they need to get on. The first no streaming service orders that

5. Aug 1, 2020 #5 of 55
    NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Maybe no streaming service offers that but AT&T TV is competing with traditional cable TV services like Xfinity TV with X1. So they need to offer something like timer extensions. (And, as far as streaming cable TV services go, YouTube TV automatically monitors events and adjusts DVR recording times to avoid cut-offs, e.g. when a game goes into overtime. Other cloud DVRs should be doing the same thing.)

dstout likes this.
  6. Aug 1, 2020 #6 of 55
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    YTTV may do it. However the reviews are horrendous

7. Aug 1, 2020 #7 of 55
    NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Huh. I've only read good things about that feature, although I can't say I've read *that* many posts about it.

dstout likes this.
  8. Aug 1, 2020 #8 of 55
    espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    The only real complaint I've seen is that it doesn't work like a standard "single queue" DVR; you can only mark items from your library as watched, not remove episodes after watching them. When it was first launched they were replacing some recordings with forced-commercial VOD versions, but that's no longer the case on any channel.

IMO, YTTV is hands down the best DVR offered by any streaming service available today. The knocks against the service would be the increasing cost, and picture quality seems to have taken a bit of a hit lately.

dstout likes this.
  9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Wasn’t referring to DVR as a whole

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Everything I see is that it is very very inconsistent

Rich likes this.
  11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I tried it a few months ago. PQ wasn't all that good then. Might be the best cloud DVR out there but I thought it paled by comparison to our D* DVRs.

Rich

12. NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    When you say YTTV's cloud DVR "pales by comparison" to DTV's DVR, I assume you mean for trick play controls. And unless your streaming device is doing a cache of the live stream (thereby obviating the need to interact with the server), trick play on a live broadcast is always going to be better with a traditional DVR. (On my Apple TV 4K, I use the Channels app to watch live OTA TV and it caches the live stream, making trick play controls just as responsive and exact as on a TiVo.)

On the other hand, let me know when any local DVR, such as a Genie, has unlimited tuners and unlimited storage space, like YTTV's cloud DVR...

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yes, I was talking about trickplay. During ball games. I know the cloud DVRs have unlimited this and that. I have no interest in capacity anymore. But I can tell you that when all I used was D* for watching TV I had a setup with 27 tuners and 25TBs of capacity. I gave that up a few years ago. Not "unlimited" but close enough for me.

Rich

14. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    I think it depends on the channel. For channels that broadcast in 720P native (ESPN, FOX Sports, Sinclair/FOX Sports regionals, etc) there has never been a big difference in quality from the DIRECTV NOW days through services like Playstation Vue, Hulu Live, FuboTV, or YoutubeTV. With DIRECTV satellite using dynamic compression, most nights any of the streaming services offer noticeably better quality.

Where things get murky is the 1080i channels because of the processing to get interlaced video into full frames for streaming. So the NBC networks (NBC, NBCSN, Golf, Olympic channel, etc), CBS networks, and regional sports networks like Altitude, SNY, and YES broadcasting in 1080i require additional provider processing to get a streamable feed. That involves everything from low end approaches like blending the odd/even fields together and cutting the framerate to 30fps (ala Sling) to various motion-adaptive de-interlacing algorithms. Whatever voodoo BAMTech built for MLB.tv and NHL.tv is the absolute best at live sports de-interlacing, followed by the solution that ATT uses, then everyone else is downhill from there.

There are many things I don't miss from the D* days: partial recordings due to weather, having to hope and pray that recordings I scheduled via the app actually made it to my receiver, and hoping I padded recordings enough to not miss overtime.

The best part about the YTTV DVR is the only reason to not record something is to reduce the size of your library. There's no reason to not record entire leagues just on the off-chance you might want to watch one of the games on delay.

As of today, ATT TV is the hands down winner in video quality for 1080i sports channels. They're also the only live streaming service that's doing 5.1 audio. The biggest weakness of the service is the limited-functionality DVR and the extra delay in the streaming feeds; ATT TV is 25-30 seconds behing YTTV, which was 20-25 seconds behind D* satellite when I was comparing them side-by-side. On the plus side, at least ATT implemented series recording for sports leagues - with FuboTV you have to go through and manually select every single game you want to record.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wasn't comparing the PQ of D* to anything. I don't watch anything but news and sports on D*. I've been heavy into streaming for a few years now. I just read my post and I can see I could have done a better job of writing it. I was comparing the picture on YTTV to what I get on my ATVs when viewing the same content. I know that's not a fair comparison, just like comparing D*'s PQ to what I get streaming. Sorry for the confusion.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The reason that ATTTV interests me is the PQ. I thought it was 1080p, like the ATVs. I have no issues with my D* DVRs, nothing to complain about. We rarely are bothered by rain-fade and the video and audio problems I suffered through for years have been dealt with by using SSDs rather than HDDs. My DVRs are as stable as my ATVs. Concerns about how full my DVRs are have gone away, all I record are ball games and some news. I don't have a library of archived shows on my DVRs because I watch the ball games and delete them, same with news. Live TV? Never watch it.

Rich

17. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    720P channels are just that. 1080I channels come in at 1080P

Rich likes this.
  18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Directv is currently moving the recording manager on the Genie DVR to a different screen. Some of the UI elements between ATTTV and Directv follow each other. So it makes we wonder if additional recording options are coming to ATT TV. On the PQ side YTTV’s problem is there bit rate isn’t high enough

19. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    I think Rich is referring to the box? The ATV will upscale everything to 1080p or 4k (depending on your ATV hardware version, and output resolution configuration). The ATT TV Osprey box will upscale everything to match the output resolution - although annoyingly for 4K it locks everything to HDR, so depending on your TV it will either look okay-ish to blown-out depending on how your display handles SDR content mapped into HDR color space.

I've been pulling the raw feeds using developer tools to try and narrow this down, and it's weird. ATT TV's H264 profile has a higher indicated peak bitrate than YTTV, but for all the streams I've looked at YTTV had a higher observed/actual average bitrate. So for a channel like NBCSN, ATT TV has an indicated peak bitrate of 9.56mbps, but ends up having an average bitrate around 5.4mpbs. YTTV has an indicated peak bitrate of 8mbps, but average bitrate has been around 7.3mbps.

What's interesting is ATT TV is 25-30 seconds behind YTTV, which is already ~30 seconds behind OTA feeds if I compare them side-by-side. If I had to guess, it's the extra time they give to video processing (from de-interlacing to compression) making the difference and not bitrate. Despite the bitrate being almost 2mbps lower, the ATT TV picture is the clear winner on quality.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 720p Fox puts out for ballgames really sucks. Been that way forever.

Rich