1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T U-Verse came knocking

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jtbell, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2010 #1 of 29
    jtbell

jtbell AllStar

Nov 24, 2008
    Last night, in around 20 degree temps, the doorbell rang, and thinking it was Fed-Ex with something I ordered, I foolishly answered the door.

It was a pair of young people selling U-Verse door to door. They were trying to get me to commit to changing from D* on the spot. They were very persistent, often to the times of stretching the truth ("the D12 is for digital music not HD").

I was able to use some of the information I have read here as a basis for saying "no"-- aside from the fact that I would never enter into an agreement like that without seeing all the terms in writing, and without seeing the actual TV signal I would be getting.

Anyway, thanks to all of the very well informed people here posting their experiences, both good and bad. It was very helpful.

2. Jan 5, 2010 #2 of 29
    jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Today, I got an email that UVerse is fianlly available on my street. I want to switch from Comcast for HSI, but keep DirecTV as my video provider. Only problem for me is a $150 installation fee. Thats not in the cards right now, maybe in a few months...

3. Jan 5, 2010 #3 of 29
    PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    ATT installed uverse for free and sent me 200$ rebates. after I got the check ( in 60 days) I droped the TV and kept the internet and voice. The internet is great,

4. Jan 5, 2010 #4 of 29
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Man, I wish they'd knock on my door. They have at least 40 more HD channels than D*. I don't need ST or several streams, so it would be perfect for me. Plus their SD PQ is much, much better. And their HD is pretty close, from the side by side demo I saw at the AT&T store.

I know we might get a few more HD channels on the new bird in a few months, but considering D* has about 30 HD PPV channels too many at the moment and hasn't added squat in nearly a year, I'm not holding my breath.

5. Jan 5, 2010 #5 of 29
    rortenzi

rortenzi New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I was one of the first in Cleveland to get Uverse and it was awesome. There were no install fees. I could record 4 shows at once (2 HD and 2 standard def) and watch a recording at the same time. I could watch all of my channels in any room and any recordings in any room. There wasn't a standard receiver, and HD receiver - one box for other rooms in the house can get any channel and any recording from the provided DVR. In demand was great too. The User interface is the best out there, hands down.

I had to move and it's not offered in my area so I switched to Time Warner - BIG mistake. It was crap. Went to DirecTV and I'm pretty happy. Pretty close to Uverse as you can get.

If you can get Uverse and bundle it with their internet - get it. Totally worth it.

6. Jan 5, 2010 #6 of 29
    prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I did the same thing. Get the cheapest TV package that comes with the $200 rebate, you should get it 45-60 days. Then just cancel the TV package. No paying the install fee.

7. Jan 5, 2010 #7 of 29
    MyDogHasFleas

MyDogHasFleas AllStar

Jan 4, 2007
    The door-to-door U-verse sales people are bad news. They are contractors on commission and get paid when you sign up. They really don't care what they have to say to get you to sign. Also you almost always get a better deal if you just sign up online (makes sense -- AT&T's sales expense is a lot lower that way).

I strongly recommend NOT buying from them. Do your research online and decide.

There's actually little risk in ordering. You can refuse to sign off on the install if what they do is not to your liking, and you owe nothing. You can also cancel anytime, there's no contract, and you'll just owe for the days you used the service -- they'll even prorate.

Generally you can cancel the TV piece and keep the Internet and/or Voice, but I've seen stories of some people who have had trouble getting them to do that. It seems to work better if you have one of the higher speed services.

8. Jan 6, 2010 #8 of 29
    hyde76

hyde76 Legend

Nov 26, 2007
    I had AT&T install just the internet and voice but I would not let them touch the TV or my dish. They just dropped off the TV receiver and I cancelled the TV service after the tech left. I have AT&T for my cell phones so I still have three services and therfore receive a few Uverse discounts as a result.

9. Jan 6, 2010 #9 of 29
    spamstew

spamstew Legend

Feb 16, 2006
    Same here.. Drop the TV portion after the trial period.. I would have kept the TV portion but the 2 HD stream max was the deal breaker..

10. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    Really? What was being shown in the AT&T store? A static picture or something with motion in it?

11. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Twice a year Cablevision would come to my door like a vacuum salesman(Boy have I got a deal for you!). Well anyway I finally got a deal for Internet/phone I liked. The funny thing is if I got TV it was even cheaper! Well, one thing they didn't tell me is they charge $7 for 1 cable box. So instead of $69 month, it's $76. Oh and 25 cents/month for the remote(jeez!).

It's still cheaper for me phone wise, I keep my Sat TV and i put the box in the basement TV. My impressions after two weeks, well the box is terrible, press guide and the sound cuts out for a second, the EPG has little information and the SD pq, for lack of a better word, sucks.

But I got unlimited phone, free optimum Boost internet for a year(30MB down/ 5MB up), for $76 per month for two years. The TV.. useless. Especially with no HGTV, my wife would lose it!

12. lifelong

lifelong Legend

Sep 16, 2007
    I had uverse internet and voice installed last month with no installation or equipment charges. I kept my directv service untouched. If you attempt to order online the webiste will say there's an installation charge, but I simply called to order and they did not even raise the issue of such a charge. The internet service so far has been very stable and far superior to standard DSL.

13. jtbell

jtbell AllStar

Nov 24, 2008
    I do see myself eventually moving to u-verse for phone and internet. The main reason that I do not is that right now my internet is directly billed to my employer since I have to be on call, and in their infinite wisdom AT&T no longer offers that very convenient feature. That leaves me having to deal with an expense report.

14. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    U-verse was announced here over a year ago, and I was excited. Comcast would finally have some competition besides D* and E*. However, U-verse wasn't available in my area until LAST WEEK. Neighborhoods a few miles away had it 6-8 months ago.

I finally ordered it a few days ago, because the $400 reward was ending. Since I have landline, DSL, and D*, I could save about $50 a month. I'll probably keep D*, but I'll at least check out the TV service for a while before I drop it.

15. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I'm an HD snob, so I really, really wanted to make sure the HD was up to par before even considering Uverse. I spent an entire lunch hour in front of the demo trying every channel I could think of, including several sports channels with a lot of motion. They weren't perfect. Both were equally macro-blocky. Static stuff looked identical on both systems as well. On SD, it wasn't even close. There was a huge difference. Uverse was much better. It didn't have any of the softness, low color depth, or compression artifacts you see on D*.

I was really skeptical going in because everything I've read said Uverse HD sucked on every level. I know they have way less bandwidth than Sat, so my expectations were not very high. I was shocked when I couldn't tell any difference. I even recorded some stuff on both, paused it, and tried to compare pixel by pixel as best I could. Maybe the store was cheating with a really high bandwidth connection, I don't know. But what I saw looked fine. I could certainly live with it, given the huge number of additional HD channels Uverse has. SD is really important to me too. D* and cable SD suck in my area, and I can't get FIOS, so Uverse will be perfect.

16. RCY

RCY Godfather

Nov 16, 2005
    I'd never buy a commercial product from a door-to-door salesman, no matter how good the deal was. But I'd love to have Uverse to choose from. I'm the only one in the house who cares about HD vs. SD, so 2 HD streams is one more than I'd ever need.

I'm about 500 feet from a location that gets Uverse, but it's not available to me.

17. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    Seriously considering getting Uverse now that is available to my house. I have been looking for a few months and discovered that the service missed my specific address in their system when they added it to our area. My neighbors on both sides of me could order it online and I couldn't. Took about 3 phone calls and emails to their Direct support folks over at dslreports.com to get them to finally add my address so I could check pricing etc. on the service.

Their current promo of $425 in rebates back with ordering TV, Internet and Phone is rather enticing.

Have been playing the numbers game to see which way would be most beneficial to me. Currently getting $20 off per month for 12 months from DirecTV(no contract) and paying $18 per month for Elite DSL which would go up to $35.

One thing holding me back though is we have a monitored alarm system which may or may not work with the digital phone service.

Anyone know if the hardware that ATT provides includes battery backup for when power goes out?

18. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Interesting. At a local company run AT&T Wireless store (north Atlanta metro) they have 2 TVs running, one with a sign that says U-Verse and the other with a sign that says DirecTV. But funny thing is both TV set signals are being run off of U-Verse boxes.

19. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    :lol:

20. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    Reminds me of how walmart used to tweak the picture adjustments on some tvs to make them sell better.