At the polls, or absentee?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Oct 15, 2006.

How will you be voting this November?

1. At the polls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Absentee/By mail

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  3. I don't plan on voting

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Subject line says it all. Will you be voting at the polls at election day, or vote by mail by absentee?

From Pasadena Star-News :

Absentee voting raises turnout, but carries risks
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Why can't we vote online yet?

3. bear paws

bear paws Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    NE Ct.

NICK!!!!!???

4. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I voted " at the polls" even though we've been getting letters from the elections officials recommending we vote by absentee ballot due to the long lines they think will occur.

Remember the democrat's creed - vote early, vote often, vote democrat! :D

5. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    And don't forget to vote for your dead uncle.

6. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    I'll be at my polling place from 6pm to 8pm, so I guess I'll vote there. ;)

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I vote at the polls, although Indiana has an "absentee in person" program that allows people to vote in advance of the election on a walk in basis. There is also the traditional mail in and home visitation absentee ballots used fro shut ins and others who cannot get to the polls. I voted absentee in one election while I was in college (out of state). It is worth the extra two miles I have to drive on election day (round trip) to vote.

8. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    We have the same program here. I need to change my polling place because I moved although the ballot is identical. So instead of driving 15 miles to my old polling place, I'll probably vote next week here in town to avoid the commute.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    In Indiana, as long as one has not moved outside of the county they can still vote on election day at the correct polling place for their new address. The preferred path is that people change their address before the deadline for voter registration (30 days before the election) but as long as one lives in the same Indiana county they can vote in their own precinct.

And while we are on the subject, Indiana has a voter ID law in place this year where EVERY voter must present a state or federal issued photo ID. The ID can be expired (as long as it was not expired two years ago at the last general election) but without a valid ID your vote becomes "provisional" and DOES NOT COUNT unless you present yourself by the end of the week with your photo ID to the election officials. (IIRC there are exceptions to the photo for people with religious objections to photography.)

10. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I'm a permanent absentee voter. It's a lot easier, cheaper (no fuel used) and less time-consuming than visiting a polling place. The paper record is a big plus, too.

11. Selenna

Selenna Fair Lady of the forums DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 18, 2004
    I've always voted at the polls... somehow it makes me feel more a part of the process then (I think) voting absentee would. I also like to see how many other people are exercising their right to vote (though I must admit I also always wonder how many of them have put any real thought into their choices).

12. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I started voting by mail last year. Nice to just sit down with the voters' pamphlet and my ballot and make my selections over a cup of coffee sitting in front of the fire. I do miss that sense of community you get when you go to the local polling place and chat with your neighbors. But I still see them at the local Safeway.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.