ATT drops NFL Network from U-Verse and DirecTV Now: Is this the beginning of the end of NFLST on D*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Athlon646464, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    From HERE (Not sure when this was posted - just saw it today.)

AT&T TV Promise | DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW, U-verse, WatchTV

To our U-verse TV and DIRECTV NOW customers

Our rights to provide the NFL Network in your TV lineup have expired. We’re sorry for any inconvenience.

The NFL Network and RED ZONE CHANNEL® remain available to all fans on DIRECTV.*

However, as we continue to manage content costs, we could not reach an agreement with the NFL to continue to carry their channels on U-verse TV and DIRECTV NOW.

*NFL Network included in CHOICE™ package and above. RED ZONE CHANNEL included with subscription to NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That said, maybe AT&T should change DIRECTV NOW's name to DIRECTV NOT NOW. :rolleyes:

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    But not DirecTV Satellite?

4. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Waiting for an new contract??

5. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    You would think, but it's odd they don't say that in their release statement.

6. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
  7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There probably isn't much of an incentive to negotiate that hard right now - few will notice NFL Network is gone in April. If it is still gone in September, then they'll notice!

8. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Had the AAF not of gone under perhaps missing the NFL Network would have been a bit more noticed than it is now.

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Here's another consideration - a couple years ago published figures showed providers were paying an average of $1.39 a month for NFL Network, it is probably more like $1.50 a month now. That's a lot for a channel that most people only care about 4-5 months a year.

How many Uverse TV and Directv Now customers are there? 6 or 7 million? Let's say 5 million of them get a package that includes NFL Network. If they let it expire now and pick it up in four months, that's a savings of $30 million...

10. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    In regards to the NFL Network this is one of the few things that DirecTV (satellite) has a separate carriage agreement for while U-Verse TV and DirecTV Now share the same carriage agreement. DirecTV (satellite) is mandated to carry NFL Network for the duration of their contract with the NFL as part of the exclusive rights for the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Unless the NFL triggers the supposed "opt-out" clause, DirecTV (satellite) has the rights to the NFL Network and NFL Sunday Ticket until the end of the 2022 season. This deal was negotiated prior to DirecTV being acquired by AT&T. If I'm not mistaken was a requirement on DirecTV's part otherwise AT&T could have called off the acquisition.

11. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    From a report on October 2, 2014:

DirecTV finally cements renewal of NFL Sunday Ticket contract | Digital Trends

12. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    at&t logic on everything they are doing lately, who needs the NFL they are just the number 1 rating TV product in the country.

13. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I wish they would offer a single team subscription at much cheaper discounted price than the full price of NFL Sunday Ticket. $300 for the NFL Sunday Ticket Entire Package with every game is starting to get a little steep for many fans. If I could just get the one team I wanted along with what my local channels carry every Sunday, that would be all the Football I’d need.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Who needs the NFL network when it isn't football season? It isn't a requirement during the season. (Is there a game exclusive to NFL Network than cannot be viewed or streamed?) Closer to September AT&T can make a deal for DIRECTV NOW and UVERSE - possibly including the NFL Sunday Ticket rights DIRECTV satellite has.

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Draft is coming up and that’s a big deal for big nfl fans. After that nothing for months. And as I recall draft is on multiple networks. I don’t expect it back for months... but I bet it does come back someday.

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Not only that, but the Thursday Night Football, Sunday Night Football, and Monday Night Football games are all nationwide games. SNF also has the option of having a game substitution of a pre-scheduled nighttime game with an earlier-scheduled daytime game. Plus, there are bye weeks. Take, as a random example, Week 9 (November 4, 2018):
    • Nationwide Night Games: 3 (6 Teams)
    • CBS Single (Early): 3 (6 Teams)
    • CBS Single (late): 2 (4 Teams)
    • Fox Early: 4 (8 Teams)
    • Fox Late: 1 (2 Teams)
    • Bye Week: 6 Teams
    Unless you were very unlucky, you have the option of viewing 5 out of 13 games that week on television. That's about 38.4% available in week 9, and one of those games is most likely you home team.

All I can reasonably say is that the NFL has diluted the value of the Sunday Night Football product by adding in Sunday Night and Thursday Night football. And, I don't think anyone is a fan of TNF.

jimmie57 likes this.
  17. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    TNF was the #2 ranked show in 18-49 for the 2018-19 tv season only behind SNF.
    Guess you have a different definition of anyone. :p

18. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I don't recall people saying "We ought to have football on Thursday nights." Take a look at some of the matchups last season:
    • Baltimore Ravens at Cincinnati Bengals
    • New York Jets at Cleveland Browns
    • Oakland Raiders at San Francisco 49ers
    • Denver Broncos at Arizona Cardinals

19. Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Players don't like it (short weeks, creates injuries) and many fans don't like it either, if they even remember it's on. What makes the NFL so great is it's once+ a week (Sunday day-Monday night 35 hour window) and it's the shortest season of the 4 major sports. It's appointment television. Thursday night is a nuisance and if it's the almighty, it shouldn't be beaten by some network comedy.

‘Thursday Night Football’ Ratings Crash From Last Week’s Season High & 2017 – Deadline