ATT price increase.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by icr2002, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Nov 9, 2019 #1 of 30
    icr2002

icr2002 Mentor

Feb 26, 2005
    I read this on a deals site tonight...
    Received an email this evening indicating that the AT&T TV Now Plus package will increase in price by $15/mo from $50/mo to $65/mo beginning Dec 1, 2019.

How high will the annual Direct Tv increase be in February. No wonder ORBY TV is taking off Im really thinking of going with it now that its more established. I dont do sports anyway. Plus its almost 60% cheaper per month and NO fees!!!! What are u all gonna do in February if Direct TV increases again???

2. Nov 9, 2019 #2 of 30
    tf92

tf92 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I will be gone, if I am still with them. I would of already been gone if not for my wife. My bill is $135 a month for 2 receivers one of which is still SD(wife will not upgrade bedroom receiver until it dies) and the choice package or whatever it is called. I would of been gone along time ago to youtube tv and saved the $80 a month if it was up to me.

3. Nov 9, 2019 #3 of 30
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I am going to stay where I am. Because everyone else is going to increase also

if you want cheaper tv leave. They have made it abundantly clear this is a premium service at a premium price. Don’t like it leave

MysteryMan and SledgeHammer like this.
  4. Nov 9, 2019 #4 of 30
    Patrick Joy

Patrick Joy New Member

Nov 9, 2019
    I ditched DTV one year ago for YouTube TV, Have not regretted it at all. The unlimited DVR is way ahead of DTV and I see more sports and movies. When you set a show to record you also get most or all of the season. Picture quality is outstanding with most programming being delivered in 1920-1080/60P and 1280-720/60P. I very rarely ever see motion artifacts. I was early adopter and lived through some growing pains. But service is now very stable and reliable. The service is delivered via Spectrum Hawaii using an Apple TV 4K. To LG OLED 65”. I am very happy so far and I consider it a premium service in all respects. The value is there....

B. Shoe, wilbur_the_goose and Rich like this.
  5. Nov 9, 2019 #5 of 30
    Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    you can't compare the satellite delivered service with the streaming version, they are different. The streaming services were under priced and are now being normalized, that is the reason for the frequent, large increases.

compnurd and SledgeHammer like this.
  6. Nov 9, 2019 #6 of 30
    Patrick Joy

Patrick Joy New Member

Nov 9, 2019
    I have seen just one 5 dollar increase in one year, far less then the multiple increases from DTV. Sorry you are dead wrong. I was a customer for DTV from its beginning. AT&T is screwing everyone of it’s customers. No more for me. You should try YouTube TV. It’s great.

Rich and icr2002 like this.
  7. Nov 9, 2019 #7 of 30
    Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Orby TV if I am not mistaken is only about 40 channels? Me & my family like LIVE Sports and will probably stick with DIRECTV.

SledgeHammer likes this.
  8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Enjoy those low Orby prices while they last. I'm sure when their contracts with content providers expire and need to be renegotiated we'll see pricing on par with other providers.

SledgeHammer likes this.
  9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    And you are going to see more. You think the good ole google is going to continue to lose money. Lol.

SledgeHammer likes this.
  10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Orby Essentials Package 44 channels for $40.00 a month, Orby Extra Package 68 channels for $50.00 a month. No sports channels, no PPV channels, no 4K channels. Local channels via OTA attached to the Orby satellite dish. :eek:

longhorn23 and SledgeHammer like this.
  11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yup. What I've been saying for months.

PlayStation Vue already collapsed under the burden of content & hardware costs and Sony has deep pockets.

Netflix's stock price has collapsed as it loses all its popular content and continues to take on piles of debt for garbage content.

Another streaming provider, I forget which one, recently jacked up their prices by 25% was it?

And for those who think its company specific issues, you probably don't want to log into your Robinhood accounts or you might have a fatal heart attack. Even a provider agnostic platform like Roku had its stock price collapse -16% this week as it reported a widening loss as customer acquisition costs skyrocket. Which brings its to date stock collapse to a staggering -32%.

Meanwhile, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that DISH just reported a subscriber net add this quarter.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Orby is probably priced appropriately already. It has lower prices because it doesn't have locals and sports channels, which are the most expensive channels.

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I thought that was interesting. Obviously they are currently benefiting from Directv's subscriber losses - everyone leaving Directv who lives in an area where cable/streaming aren't options really only has one other choice (well technically two if you include Orby, but I'll bet 95% of the public doesn't even know they exist - I wouldn't know if it wasn't for dbstalk)

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Dish satellite had net losses but Sling picked up enough to give them an overall gain. So I don’t know if I’d say that ATT’s satellite losses went to Dish, hard to actually know.
    But it should be noted that Dish and Sling added together showed a net increase in subscriptions and that without HBO and most RSN’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

espaeth likes this.
  15. Patrick Joy

Patrick Joy New Member

Nov 9, 2019
    It is not logical to pay DTV high prices. True prices will go up. All prices go up. But I am saving 80 a month for a service that does not care about the customer. If you have not used YouTube TV, you can not understand what I am talking about. They have come up with a product that works better then DTV for lower cost. Right now I am getting real value for my money, something I can say that I stopped getting a few years ago from DTV. I WAS A LONG TIME USER OF DTV AND THEY SHOWED NO REGARD OR RESPECT FOR A LOYAL USER. So I hope you enjoy paying excessive high charges for a service that has become like cable.

16. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You know DirecTV has a loyalty program right? YouTube has well documented DVR "issues". And if you cancelled DirecTV, why did you just sign up for a DirecTV forum? lol

compnurd likes this.
  17. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    They have been cutting back on the loyalty offers. Been with Directv over 20 years, never missed a payment, and they said I should wait 3-6 months and maybe the "system" will allow me to get my loyalty offer back. The one I was able to renew for over 10 years.

So much for loyalty. Its all computer generated and you have to check back with them every few weeks.

18. Patrick Joy

Patrick Joy New Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Yes, worthless..... if you were properly informed you would find that YouTube’s growing pains are now well resolved. I fact DTV for extra cost, free on YouTube TV is free and unlimited. In fact when you command a program to record, it will include all available episodes, so one can easily catch up.

19. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Really? Can I delete a program from my DVR yet without waiting 9 months? Can I watch CBS shows without forced ads if I wait more then 24 - 36 hours after they air? And why would I want to watch every episode of a show when I ask to record just one? Sorry, but that's idiotic. Two and a Half Men has over 200 episodes. I want to watch one. I have to sift through all 200 to find it?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    compnurd likes this.
  20. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I have mine falling off early next year. I'll see what happens. If they say no, then I'll go somewhere else and wait for a win back offer. I doubt it'll be streaming though.