Attaching Slimline dish to brick fireplace?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by MONSTERMAN, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 12
    MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    Crystal Bay...
    Hey ,
    I have an old dish secured to my solid brick (8" X 8" brick) fireplace via drilling holes and sinking anchors in it and then attaching bolts. This was a PITA to do and get level years ago.

Now I will be getting a new slimline HD dish and since I can't use the same holes was wondering what the best option was? Would the best option still be with using those sinking anchors drilled deep, then screwing in the bolts?

Are there any other options for attaching an HD dish to the side of a solid brick fireplace? BTW, this is the only spot it can go because of surrounding trees. Also, is this a typical install an installer would come across? Would they be able to handle this, having all the tools and bits for drilling into solid brick and attaching an HD dish? No standing on ladders involved, only about 3 feet off the roof.

Thanks

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 12
    Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    Do you have a picture of your Dish setup now?Post it here. dont zoom in to much.

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 12
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If the bolt patterns are different, you could always go to a welding shop, and have them fab a square open box, with the original bolt pattern on one side, and the new bolt pattern on the other side. The Slimline will also need two new holes drilled/anchored, for the monopole braces.

4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 12
    Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    or use the same Mast that the dish was attached to?

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 12
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Masts are different sizes, and I doubt DirecTv's installer would do that (although *I* would just fab an adapter pipe if I were doing it myself). Id probably just put a SL3SWM lnb on the current dish if I didnt have much rain fade problem.

6. Aug 1, 2010 #6 of 12
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    To prevent future problems, I'd find a spot to do a pole mount.

7. Aug 1, 2010 #7 of 12
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I've put a number of dishes on brick chimneys, and those are the most secure dishes I've ever installed. I have *never* had to repoint a brick chimney-mounted dish because there is nothing to come loose or move.

There are some important points when mounting a dish on a brick chimney, though:

- Mount the mast LOW on the chimney, so that the dish itself will be below the top of the chimney, and its heat and soot. It will also keep the foot more secure and give you room to mount the support arms.

- Mount the dish on the south side of the chimney.

- Drill into the BRICK, and NOT the mortar.

- Use a 1/2" diameter masonary bit, 1.25" lag shields, and 1.5" long 5/16" lag bolts.

If you do this, your dish will NEVER move.

8. Aug 2, 2010 #8 of 12
    MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    Crystal Bay...
    Thanks for the suggestions. Battlezone, that is exactly what I did 10 years ago with the current dish. I guess I should just have the installer re-drill with a masonary bit and lag shields, b/c the old dish's mounting plate holes are different and having a plate welded on the new one would be way too much trouble. DIRECTV installers will be able to do this, hopefully?:rolleyes: The installer won't be too happy anyway since he will have to drive 2 hours just to get here.

How about covering up the holes left by the old dish? What could I use to fill in these holes?

9. Aug 3, 2010 #9 of 12
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Mounting a dish on a chimney (basic or KA/KU) is an immediate QA/QC fail. I don't know why.. I Guess chimneys deteriorate faster than normal brick?

Either way, if you have it professionally installed he might tell you he can't put it on the chimney and he's not lying. (Unless that is the only place to put it)

It's funny how rules are made but then allowed to be broken just to get an install in.

10. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I prefer to mount on brick myself; rather then the commonly seen roofline installations. It makes for a studier mount, not to mention a ZERO % chance of the possibility of a leak down the line in terms of the roof.

I only use concrete sleve anchors such as this:
    [​IMG]

They come in a variety of sizes (I use the 5/16" size) and take a 7/16" socket or wrench to tighten (which is a common size wrench for coaxial fittings, etc). The least amount of tools I carry is better for me in the long run in terms of unloading and reloadign my truck.

You'll find a clean and effective mount this way.

Attached Files:

11. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010

That dish isn't grounded >_<

12. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Actually it is; just not in the picture I posted as I took the shot right after mounting and alighning the dish and it was no where near the main house ground. I had to sink a 5/8" copper gound rod at the dish location and had to go to home depot to pick one up as I was out. That's why I left a tad more slack in the coaxial line needed so I'd be able to finish up after lunch. :grin: