1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attempt to get free HD for 24 months...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by camattin, Oct 19, 2010.

1. camattin

camattin AllStar

Feb 6, 2003
    After reading the multiple posts in here about existing customers getting the HD fee waived for 24 months (with autopay on their account), I figured I'd give it a shot.

My first call was disconnected 5 minutes into it. :nono2:

My second call lasted 22 minutes and I'm not 100% sure what this second CSR did. The first CSR I spoke with said I qualified (as long as I remained on autopay and at the choice xtra package level -- no problem there). I spent a lot of time on hold with him because every time he did a refresh on my account, it kept giving him a different answer as to whether I was already enrolled in autopay (which I have been since the first bill). He then had to transfer me and the next CSR had a very, very heavy accent (Indian call center?). I'm not sure what she actually did... it sounded like she was trying to get me approved for free HD for life (instead of just the 24 months I was shooting for). Through the accent I think I heard that the request has to go to some other department and they'll approve or deny the request in the next 8-10 business days.

What the heck? Well, 10 business days is still before my next bill, so if they deny me, I'll just call back in and do the CSR roulette and see where I wind up!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    First I heard you had to have choice extra to qualify. They just told me I had to sign up for auto bill pay. Since I just downgraded to Choice, my next bill should be interesting.

3. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    There is another qualification you might not be aware of.. you can't currently have any base package discounts on your account (such as a $10 discount for 6 or 12 months, etc) or free dvr service, as these will make you ineligible for this offer

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I thought the "free HD" offer ended long ago. DirecTV is only featuring it in ads to new customers who take ULTIMATE and NFLST!!! But, of course, that is free HD "for life".

However, DISH network ads keep advertising "free HD for life" for new customers with their lowest package which is only $25 a month for a year and $40 thereafter. Hmmm...

5. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    When I called it was taken care of in about 2 minutes, no big deal, no big list of things I needed to qualify for it.

6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Same here. I even got a free second HD DVR without even asking for it. I did have to agree to two more years.

7. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    Well, there are qualifications for the offer, and the CSR's check for it.. (or are supposed to) before they offer it. I'm just citing a few examples as to why they weren't able to add it for him.

Btw, in no way shape or form would it ever take 8 days... if you're eligible, it can be added in a few minutes... if you're not, you're not..

8. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Godfather

Feb 17, 2006
    We just got it yesterday. We have autopay and the Select package.

9. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I can confirm that, since I received free HD last year because of the VS fiasco. I was told to call back after it ended and I could get the free HD for this year. So when it finally ran out, I called and they still denied me and said its because of my $20/6mo discount on NFL ST. I went to retention and finally convinced them to give me a one time $120 customer satisfaction credit.

10. camattin

camattin AllStar

Feb 6, 2003
    I currently have the at&t employee discount along with the 2 xtra discounts ($5/mo rebate + $24 month 1-12 rebate). I wouldn't think those would interfere, but who knows...

11. jab5325

jab5325 Cool Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I was still in my first year discounts when I signed up for the HD credit. Plus, I got free HD+Extra Pack for 3 months.

Bottom line is you don't know until you call. If you don't get the answer you want, call back. The first time I called, the CSR had no idea what I was talking about and said I wasn't eligible. The second time, the CSR said I was eligible but to call back in an hour because their computers were down. Third time, CSR said I was eligible and set it up. When it didn't show up under "Recent Activity" online, called back a fourth time and the fourth/final CSR put it through. It was a bit of a hassle but to save $120 a year, it was worth it.