1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auburn/Ole Miss blackout on ESPN2???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Bowtaz3, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Ummmm why???

2. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    This is insane. I'm about to go ballistic.

3. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    It makes no sense!

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Is it being shown on a local ABC station, that would cause a blackout.

5. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    But it's not. Iowa and someone is on ABC in Birmingham.

6. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    No

7. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    And I know people in Birmingham are watching the game. On cable I think, I have feelers out to see if anyone is watching it on Dish. But the only complaints about it are regarding DirecTV

8. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I got in on here (just outside Memphis). This is an ESPN2 exclusive game, and should not be blacked out anywhere. The game currently is on so it's not an issue with a previous game bleeding into the broadcast.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Odd...it's on in Texas.

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Being shown here.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Call DirecTV and b*tch if it's not on a local station anywhere in your DMA.

12. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    It's on now

13. BamaDawg

BamaDawg Cool Member

Jan 12, 2007
    On

14. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I was watching it from the get go in Mobile, no issues.

15. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    I was told there were technical difficulties from a friend that called them. But it kept sayinng blackout

16. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    D must be a sleep at the wheel someone I was talking to other online said Goalline was blacked out for him.

17. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    This happens. The O N L Y blackouts of college football on ESPN or ESPN2 is the "reverse mirror" realtive to the Big 10.

Any other blackout is a screw up. ABC does not even HAVE rights to the SEC, CBS does.

DirecTV screwed up. It compounds its screw ups in cases like this by having its untrained CSRs look in The Big Book Of Why The Customer Is Always Wrong and find an incorrect and out of context reason.

Its need to develop a group of "advanced users" and give us a special phone bank of CSRs to deal with so it can fix its problems when they arrise.

18. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    If everything was perfect, nothing would be perfect. Why does eveyone say it's ALLWAYS the fault of DirecTV. Yes, maybe it was the fault of DirecTV. But, they have rules and regs they HAVE to follow. When a local station says they will boardcast one game then change to a different game (this has happen to me) and does not tell DirecTV . Who's at fault?

19. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Actually, the CSR I got was able to look up notes related to any given game. He said that the notes showed a large number of calls in the previous 15 minutes and that the engineering team said that they were looking into the issue and would have it solved 'soon'. I assume if it had been a valid blackout, the notes would have explained what areas were blacked out and why. The trick is, though, to put in the extension 727 when you call. Otherwise you might not get a CSR that handles blackouts.

But it was DirecTV's fault. No other broadcast station had the rights to the game. The game was on ESPN2. Only three entities broadcast SEC football: CBS, ESPN, and the SEC Network (which is really just ESPN Regional). Early SEC Network games are syndicated, and in Birmingham are broadcast on the local CW station. Late SEC Network games are broadcast on Fox Sports South if they are not picked up by the local broadcast station. ESPN does not have rights to broadcast their SEC games on ABC--they can only show them on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU. The local ABC affiliate in Birmingham (which apparently is the only market this happened in, others said they had no problem in Mobile) was showing Michigan State/Iowa. People had also complained that ESPN Goal Line had been on DirecTV and was incorrectly blacked out as well. Since they turned it back on in the second quarter, it wasn't blacked out and there wasn't an alternative feed on cable customers in Birmingham, and it wasn't blacked out on Dish one can only assume that it was DirecTV's fault--probably when they were screwing around with the Goal Line channel.

20. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I am glad you got a good CSR in CSR roulette.

And, yes, this was DirecTV's fault. There are NO college football blackouts on any ESPN channel other than the "reverse mirror" situation relative to the Big 10 and ABC local stations, which will NEVER involve the SEC since ABC does NOT have rights to the SEC at all and ESPN does NOT have the rights to SEC games that start after 1 ET and before 5 ET.