1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio dropouts du jour?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by spiketoo, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Nov 8, 2018 #1 of 14
    spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Been having issues of late with CNN and a couple CI 770+ channels. Also some pixelization on MSNBC. Anyone else or just me?

Did a hard reboot and even a clearmybox to no avail. Rebooting again...

2. Nov 8, 2018 #2 of 14
    bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Noticed this on cnn....but since I rarely watch them anymore didn't try to fix, just changed the channel.
    So its probably not at your end....

3. Nov 8, 2018 #3 of 14
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I saw it starting this week on CNN, MSNBC, NBC Sports Boston, ESPN2, a couple ST channels, and more. I was giving it the benefit of the doubt since it has been raining. I know the difference between rain fade and the annoying dropouts we got last year and this is very similar to the dropouts that happen when it's clear. I saw it last night, too, when it wasn't raining.

What software are you on?

4. Nov 8, 2018 #4 of 14
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I've been getting a lot of pixelation on HGTV 229 the last few weeks. It happens on both my HR54 and HR24. It's been happening all times of day and even when there's clear blue skies.

5. Nov 8, 2018 #5 of 14
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yeah, you're not alone. Seeing on this (yet again) on many channels. Most likely not your equipment.

6. Nov 9, 2018 #6 of 14
    I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    It is a continuation of what has been happening for months.

7. Nov 9, 2018 #7 of 14
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Contacting support has been useless, even with proof of this thread and multiple threads on ATT's forums, even the succesor to the office of the president refused to accept that this is an issue that their engineering team needs to address. I gave them a link to about 20 threads from here and ATT's forum going back to 2017 complaining about dropouts, all reporting the same thing, watching live with Dolby Digital enabled, the audio frequently drops out on a bunch of channels, and that it doesn't happen if you're watching a recording, from the buffer or with PCM audio. Including a bunch of threads of people reporting that technicians were sent and it was a complete waste of time as there was nothing technicians could do to address it.

They're so clueless that their final response was to just turn off Dolby Digital and I'll still be able to get 5.1 surround sound, even though the only thing you get with Dolby Digital off is PCM Stereo audio.

I suggest people start notifying the affected channels about the issue, maybe their engineering teams will have more clout.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  8. YOLOdactyl

YOLOdactyl New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    If you get the DD5.1 audio clipping thing, just pause the channel for 1 second, and then press play.

The crazy thing is, on 204 when I'm watching Forensic Files marathons as background noise (don't judge), their commercials will frequently be two channel, and the show will come back as DD. I'll have to pause the show each time it comes back from break because the audio will start skipping again. It's 100% in their software/firmware. Maybe they can't actually fix it?

9. YOLOdactyl

YOLOdactyl New Member

Sep 17, 2017
    The problem with NBC Sport Boston was different though. This was... some sort of signal issue prior to the STB/Genie. Like the bitrate would just drop out, reset, and then repeat every 6 seconds or so. Then the Revolution lost, and I stopped watching the channel, so IDK if it's still happening.

10. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    It's been hit and miss on NBCSB lately. Sometimes the channel is perfectly fine while other times it's video pixelating or audio drops or a combination of both.

11. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Agreed. It got better for a few weeks it seems but now it seems to be happening again.

12. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Same problem here with CNN and a few other channels

13. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
  14. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007