1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gregftlaud, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 #1 of 36
    gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    I know this is way off topic but i wanted to get other opinions/feedback on audio receivers from other people that own DTV HD DVR's.

I currently own a very old Sony STR-DE845 audio receiver that has 3 optical audio inputs but I think it's going bad and i've been searching and searching online for another audio receiver with optical inputs and I'm not having any luck. All the receivers they sell now seem to do HDMI passthru. But i'm not too keen on running hdmi thru an audio receiver then to my TV. Not sure if that downgrades the picture any.

I like separate audio and video connections. I prefer to run my HDMI cable directly from my DVR to my TV and not having an in-between. Anyone know of any good audio receivers out there with optical inputs or is just a thing of the past? I found my receiver on ebay .......but i really dont want to buy used (and very old).

Thanks

2. Apr 5, 2011 #2 of 36
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You'll find that optical inputs are slowly going the way of the dodo bird. That being said if you get a good quality A/V Receiver, like an Onkyo, there's no degradation in Video if you go HDMI from your HR to the AVR then to the TV.

I use an Onkyo TX-SR606 and love it. There's no way you can tell a difference in video if you go thru the Onkyo or straight to the TV. I'm looking to upgrade to a TX-SR609 soon so that it will pass 3D thru.

Oh, and the Onkyo's still do have at least 2 optical inputs.

3. Apr 5, 2011 #3 of 36
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Upgraded my Sony STR-DE945 to a Pioneer 1020 several months ago and couldn't be happier.

Of course, one of the reasons I upgraded was so I could eliminate optical and go all HDMI.

It doesn't degrade anything, BTW.

4. Apr 5, 2011 #4 of 36
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I just checked and Yamaha's $379 AV receiver, the HTR-4063, has four digital inputs, two optical and two coaxial. If you want to use all optical, optical to coaxial adapters are $17 from Amazon.

Agreed with RunnerFL and spartanstew, though. I seriously doubt you'll see a difference running the HDMI through your receiver. If I was going to spend $34 on optical to coaxial adapters or HDMI cables, it would be a no-brainer for me.

5. Apr 5, 2011 #5 of 36
    gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Thanks for all the good info.

Runner, what brand of HDMI cables do u use? I use the high speed Monster cables and they are really expensive if i went with an HDMI passthru audio receiver i'd have to buy 3 more HDMI cables for my entire setup (dvr, blu-ray, roku player).

6. Apr 5, 2011 #6 of 36
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Can't say what he uses, but most of us get cables from monoprice. They usually are about $6 to $10 and work just as well.

7. Apr 5, 2011 #7 of 36
  8. Apr 5, 2011 #8 of 36
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Monoprice.com, very inexpensive.

9. Apr 5, 2011 #9 of 36
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Please don't ever buy Monster HDMI cables ever again. :) www.monoprice.com

10. Webini

Webini Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    HDMI is a digital signal. It won't degrade with HDMI passthru.

Same with HDMI cables. Monster is a complete waste of money. Go to Monoprice. It's all 0s and 1s - it either works or it does not.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I don't know you from Adam, but I will tell you that buying the Monster cables is probably the biggest waste of money you've probably ever spent.....:lol:

www.monoprice.com for all your cable needs...

12. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    Agreed, I have the same receiver....and HDMI switching is a really convenient feature for older HDTVs like mine that have only 1 HDMI input.

Oh, and another vote for monoprice. :)

13. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    CCarncross no need to try and be "above" me and laugh at me for "wasting" money on monster cables. I can afford to waste my money!

14. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I can afford to waste money too...but I certainly don't waste it on Monster Cable HDMI cables. Unlike analog interconnects, HDMI cables carry only digital (1's and 0's) information so you are not deriving any benefit whatsoever by wasting money on Monster Cable HDMI cables. I buy my HDMI cables on Amazon for around $3 for a 6ft cable. They work perfectly.

As to your original question, most high end AV rcvrs have quality video processing chips built in that will do excellent upscalling but most also have the ability to do straight HDMI pass thru as well which is essentially the same as a direct connect. I use an Onkyo TX-SR875 which does all it's video processing via a Silicon Optix' REON chip. More recent Onkyo models are just as good if not better at video processing but also offer HDMI pass thru as well.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I like Sony AV receivers and I have a Sony STR DH800 that has four pass-thru HDMI ports on it and I see no degradation of PQ. I don't remember how much I payed for it, but it works quite well.

What all the guys are saying about Monster Cables is true. I buy all my cables at amazon.com where I don't have to pay shipping and I pay very little for my HDMI cables, about the same as Monoprice, but without shipping charges.

Rich

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ah, but they are such a ripoff. The only thing I ever buy from them is the occasional small spool of wire for speakers. I like the flexibility of the wires and don't care how much it costs. Most of the Monster products are really not worth the money you spend for them. And their prices are outlandish.

Rich

17. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Just a quick question about audio receivers with the hdmi inputs and the one hdmi output that goes to your tv. Ok let me see if i have how this works correct before i go get one. All your receiver's (dvr, bluray, roku) hdmi's go into the inputs on the back of the audio receiver then just one hdmi cable goes out from the audio receiver into an HDMI input on your tv. I have a Panny Viera HD TV and it has 3 hdmi inputs so i would only need to have an HDMI cable plugged into one of those HDMI inputs right (let's call it HDMI 1)? And each time u change on the audio receiver which video receiver u want to use then the picture will change on that same HDMI 1 tv input to whatever box u want?

The reason i ask is b/c i have a Logitech Harmony One remote and for each "activity" say watch tv, watch dvd, etc when u set up the activity it goes to a section where it asks what HDMI input u want your tv set to for that activity. So basically since the a/v receiver controls which video receiver u will be using..............for each activity, be it watch tv, watch dvd, etc u should have the logitech to always use HDMI 1 , right?

Thanks

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Correct

19. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Your understanding is correct. Once you configure your Harmony remote for your new rcvr it will set your rcvr for the correct inputs. I have the Harmony 900 rather than the 1 but same principle. Letting your AV rcvr handle all the audio/video switching is the way to go.

20. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    The sort of mini debate here about connecting directly to your TV or passing everything through your receiver raises a question for me. (I'm not trying to hijack this thread, and your answers may add some answers to the OP's concerns).

I have 4 devices connected directly to my TV. (DVR, BD Player, WD Live Plus and a Wii)

I have each input on my TV calibrated a little differently for each source....

What happens to that flexibility if I, or the OP, sends everything through our receivers?