1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Sync

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vman100, Sep 16, 2009.

1. vman100

vman100 Cool Member

Sep 15, 2009
    We are new to HDTV and just got an HR20 last week. The picture is great, but we are experiencing major audio sync issues. The video is significantly ahead of the audio. It is much worse on HD channels, especially locals (and most especially our NBC channel) - but all HD channels seem to show it to some degree (and even some SD channels show it, especially when getting audio from the TV rather than receiver).

I have the HR 20 unit running via HDMI to our Sony receiver, then running through HDMI to the Samsung 52B750 TV, and also running directly to the TV through component. Interestingly, the audio from the TV is slightly delayed from the audio from the receiver - when both audio are going it gives a neat echo effect. So the receiver sound is closer to in line with the video, but still behind. My receiver has a sync feature, but it only delays audio, so this won't help me.

I love the HDTV, but this audio sync makes watching shows like watching a Bruce Lee action movie - mouths are moving completely independent of sound! Is there some sort of fix? We have a few unwatched (SD) shows on our old Directivo unit, and watching one of them the sync was fine. So it seems to be related to the new HD DVR.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Is there a delay when HDMI is directly to the TV? Have you tried HDMI to TV with optical to the receiver for sound? Or have you tried component to TV with optical to the receiver?
    It may be your receiver can't handle the HDMI's video & audio processing.

3. vman100

vman100 Cool Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Haven't tried HDMI direct to TV but can tonite. Don't have any optical currently set up for audio (well, I do for Apple TV but not for the HD DVR) and will try that. But it still seems odd to me that I do have video component to TV (with composite audio connection to TV), and this provides even worse sync problems than when going through receiver (through HDMI). This happens on both live and recorded programs.

I would like to have the ability to watch general programs without the receiver (especially for my kids' shows, etc), as well as through receiver.

By the way, this is all a very basic setup with just two bookshelf speakers being used - setting up surround sound will happen at some point in the future.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Your components may *already* have some synch delay set up, so take some time to go through the menus on both the TV and the AV receiver and verify that any delay is zeroed out before adjusting anything further.

5. DIELES

DIELES New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    For what it's worth, I had the same problem with my H23-700 HDDVR over the weekend and I solved it by toggling between a SD channel and HD. You might try this if you haven't already.