1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autocorrect

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Greg Alsobrook, Oct 17, 2007.

Would you like the option to disable autocorrect?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Would you like the option to disable autocorrect ??

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    If DirecTV adds a option to disable it that is fine with me but I voted no because I don't really care.

Coming from TiVo that is the #1 thing I missed before it was added to the HR20.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I know, it makes no sense to vote against an "option" but I sincerely feel the reason the option was taken out was to keep trickplay from getting very flaky.

4. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I totally agree. I like options; but I don't remember anyone asking for the option to remove autocorrect from TIVO.

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    You should have stopped there although I see the vote is going against me. Oh, well. I also like brussel sprouts.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I voted no...

Why? What if I forgot that I turned it off... I might get pretty frustrated when it doesn't work when I want it too.

And with multiple people in the house, that like it different ways... it can get frustrating when one persons turns it on, the other off.

We have just learned on when to hit play, to adjust properly for our reflex time (same as we learned when on TiVo).

7. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    i voted no...i kinda like it

8. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    I'd rather they just turn it off on the slowest FF speed, but I guess I'm not opposed to having the option available for those who want it. But it's not high on my wish list if it means waiting longer for another feature.

9. tombet

tombet Legend

Sep 27, 2006
    I'd like it to just not be active at 1X FF, and then work at 2X - 4X. It can do that consistently, without any user options, and I would be happy.

(There isn't really a voting option for that - I abstained.)

10. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    I think it goes back too much, but I don't see the need for an option. I now know to take my time when I see the show come back on after commercials.

I would rather have automatic commercial skip as an option, but I know that ain't happening.

-mk

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I voted "no" as well. I like AUTOCORRECTION and I don't want someone else in the house disabling it, since my muscle memory has adapted to it.

I do wish D* would revisit OTA AUTOCORRECTION, though, so the values are the same as those for SAT. Right now, they are too short by comparison. /steve

12. TigerDriver

TigerDriver Electronics Engineer

Jul 27, 2007
    I voted no because I find that it doesn't back up far enough for me. Since sound takes a long time to return after FF/RW in Hi-Def, I now have to press skip-back after pressing play. (Thank god for Harmony 880 macros.)

13. tooloud10

tooloud10 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    Why would one NOT want the option to disable autocorrect? I always appreciate a choice.

14. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    I voted no as I'd rather they spend their time on more valuable improvements. I can't figure why anyone would not like it, but its all personal preferences with stuf.

But personally I'd rather they use their time on other stuff.

15. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Everybody wants an option on the feature they don't like.

This is a mass market machine. It should have the fewest options possible while still performing its job.

More options means more places to have software problems. More options means more confused customers means more support cost. More support cost means my monthly rate goes up.

That's why this particular person would be against this option, as I am against most of the others that people have proposed.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I don't know how to vote. I personally would not disable it (although I am not a fan of it for 30 second slip or FF1) but I don't want to force someone to want something *my* way but I really don't care if the disable is there or not if it doesn't break anything else.

17. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Your post got me to thinking... I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up before or if it's even feasible... But think about this...

What if when you first turned on your HR20... You could pick a "user" to "log on" as... Similar to a PC... that way each household member could have their viewing preferences and favorites list customized to how they like it...

18. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Works fine for me leave it as is

19. sdicomp

sdicomp Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    MEEE TOOO!

20. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    When there are multiple users in the house who might change it. Put in an option, and the next thing people will want is a "one button" toggle for AUTOCORRECT, similar to the problem now with CC's.

As was pointed out earlier in this thread, millions of TiVo users aren't complaining they don't have an option. They just adapted to it, because there was never an early period (like with the HR20) when there was no AUTOCORRECTION experience.

And ya, I know there's a TiVo backdoor option you can hack, but few know about it. :)

D* is in the process of removing AUTOCORRECTION for FFX1, so they're addressing the major complaint sports fans have with it. And it never existed on ADVANCE, if you use that feature as intended and let it complete naturally.

Just my .02. /steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.