1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automakers begin trimming their lineups

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Steve615, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    From Yahoo and U.S. News & World Report:
    According to the following article,6 vehicles have been targeted for elimination from automobile production lines.

Honda S2000
    Chrysler PT Cruiser
    * Saturn Sky
    Hummer H3
    Lexus SC
    Dodge Viper

More cuts are expected to be announced as this year moves along.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/844/6-cars-on-death-row/

* In regards to Saturn,it appears that not only the Sky is on the way out,but the entire line of Saturn products is "on the chopping block".

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Rather a shame about the Sky, as I thought it was better looking than the Solstice, but c'est la vie. Couldn't care a whit about the rest.

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    This would be a mistake!

Saturn is a great car. They made a few mistakes trying to fit in with today but in general there cars are probably the best I have ever owned and driven.
    The biggest thing which sold us on our 2003 Saturn L-series was the fact that the motor was manufactured by BMW.

4. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    I'd hate to see the S2000 go...not that I can afford one, but it is the very definition of "sports car", and I love those.

5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    I sat in an S2000 once, just to see if I could, then decided to get out, that time hoping I could. :D

While I'm no fan of GM, it's a bit sad to hear Saturn's future may be in question so soon after they learned where the instrument panel belongs. ;) The timing is also odd given that the market is moving away from SUVs. And it would be a shame to lose a car as fine as the Sky.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I thought the PT Cruiser was a good seller. I see them all the time.

7. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I have one, been a good vehicle. They have been in production for 9 years and sold well over a million of them, I suppose it is time to move on, you can't really restyle it and keep it's uniqueness.

8. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    lmao :lol:

9. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The original Saturn was an experiament in dealing with two of GM's biggest problems. The UAW and its dealer network of sons and grandsons who inherited the old man's franchise and did not care.

Originally, the cars were only built in one plant, in RTW Tennessee which had a seperate contract with the UAW (no contract with the UAW, would have, of course, been better) that allowed some reasonablness in labor management.

The dealer network was all new people, set up with a much smaller group, with one dealer in an entire regional area. And a "no dicker sticker".

Now Saturns are just rebaded Chevys. Made all around the GM system, with Spring Hill being just another plant making all kinds of GM cars under the same master contract that pays people to work cross word puzzles. And the dealer network is now bloated and linked with Chevy and other brands.

GM would do well to dump the brand. It serves no purpose. The experament failed.

10. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Exactly, they have kept the same body style for all this time with only minimal refreshes. I assume the cost to retool was too big to risk losing lots of sales if they missed the mark like you said.

11. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    I have a 2004 S2K

Great car and always one of consumer reports recommended cars to buy. It definitely will make your pulse increase when you drive it. 240HP out of a 2.2L engine, top speed of 150MPH and gets 28 MPG to boot! Sad to see it go and glad I got mine when I did.

Attached Files:

12. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    - Convertible
    - Aging retro car
    - Convertible
    - Expensive, limited appeal SUV
    - Coupe
    - Aging niche car

All are pretty much cars that filled a niche of some sort. The H3 had more utility than the others but came late to an already crowded market. Some, like the PT Cruiser, S2000, and SC saw virtually no freshening over the years which further limited their appeal.

I really would like to see the Sky stick around. It's one of the best looking cars wearing an American nameplate.

There's a rumor out there that the Saturn nameplate will go away and it's lineup merged into Buick. This makes sense to me. Most Saturns now are rebadged Opels from GM's Europe division. And with Saturn moving upscale, it was beginning to cut into Buick's territory. Perhaps the Sky will live on under another brand name.

13. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    I recall a friend of mine characterizing the H3 as "the pretentious SUV for pretentious assh***s who can't afford one". I'm still laughing....

14. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Honda S2000 - I hate to see it go. A nice little sports car.

Chrysler PT Cruiser - I drove one as a rental. It wasn't bad at all, except they cruise control would not set higher than 85MPH and it was a bit noisy. And the trunk was small. I liked the retro look, but it is getting tired. And the problem with making these retro cars, is what to do for a "2nd generation"?

Saturn Sky (and possibly all Saturn) - The Sky is a nice looking car, but Saturn has become just another GM sibling that's not worth the sum of its parts. Saturn's no-haggle pricing is probably their biggest problem right now (or do they still do that?)

Hummer H3 - :lol: The entire Hummer line needs to be scrapped.

Lexus SC - I am sure my opinion won't be popular, but I cannot stand Lexus. They make horribly overpriced "appliances".

Dodge Viper - Aw! I hate to see this one go, too! These are horrible cars as daily drivers, but it's the closest you can get to a real race car for under $100K. They were really only meant to lure people into dealerships. It's a shame Chrysler didn't put some real effort into the Viper. I always thought that once Daimler bought them, they'd bring in AMG or Maclaren to help turn it into a real world-class sports car.

More cuts are expected to be announced as this year moves along.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/844/6-cars-on-death-row/

* In regards to Saturn,it appears that not only the Sky is on the way out,but the entire line of Saturn products is "on the chopping block".[/QUOTE]

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What do you think the Caliber is? PT Cruisers (and conventional Neons for that matter) are getting pretty scarce around these parts.

The Chevrolet HHR pretty much closed the book on the PT Cruiser.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Toyota probably also has some trouble on their hands with such a confusing mass of SUVs (in ascending order of adverse environmental impact):

Rav4
    FJ Cruiser
    Highlander
    4runner
    Sequoia
    Land Cruiser

Not that Jeep is any better positioned with their finely divided plethora of cartoonish replicas...

I firmly believe that we won't make any progress on fuel economy until they class all of these rigs as cars for CAFE purposes.

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Good. Sales of the H3 were cutting into the H2 anyways. It was basically a hummer for the mini-van crowd.

A hummer should be a hummer!

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    A Hummer should be on the sands in Iraq...not on the street. :D

Guzzle guzzle guzzle...

This first of several lists we'll surely see in the months ahead is made up of niche vehicles...which had their day, but not in the future.

19. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Real Hummers, of course, are.

A brief history. The term "hummer" was a nickname for the Hum-Vee, which was the military replacement for the Jeep.

AMC owned the factory, but had to sell off its military division to raise cash and permit foreign investment in its ultimatlly futile quest to stay afloat.

So the Jeep Military Division of AMC became AM General, a division of mega-giant defense contractor Teneco. AM General made the real Hum-Vees.

After the First Gulf War, the vehicle became a cult deal, and a civialianized version was launched, the H1. Then Teneco liscensed all of the name to GM, which makes the H2 and H3. Which are rebadged Chevys. There is not one part on a Chevy Hummer that is common with a real Hum-Vee, and the US Army and Marines do not own H2s or H3s. Its a plastic replicar glued onto a Blazer.

20. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Not exactly true. The engine, transmision, drive axles and most major components on the Hum-Vee are all GM, which many are shared with 1 ton FWD Chevrolet trucks. I sell parts to the Navy motor pool in Gitmo.