1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autorecord Search & Extra Innings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bfranci, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bfranci

bfranci New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    I just got the HR20 installed. I created an autorecorded Search for the "Braves". I have MLB Extra Innings and usually watch the games on the 700 channels...but the HR20 looks like it wants to record from the 600s instead. Is this going to fail, and if so, how can I force it to record from the 700s?

2. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    There are a lot of problems using autorecord for sports packages. I believe it will try to record the first one it finds numerically, thus, the 600's. As of today, the HR20 does not know which channels it receives. Search "Channels I Receive" or "CIR" for more information if you'd like. DirecTV is working on getting this to work, but nobody has heard when it might be implemented.

Unfortunately, you'll have to set up each game to record individually. I haven't heard of any other workarounds at this time.

3. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Yep, I set up manual records once or twice a week for the week's games, partially so it doesn't eat up 6 unncessary hours on space on the DVR anyway...very annoying.

4. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    The only alternative for now is to use this workaround:

Autorecord Workaround (So That You Can Record Your Favorite Team's Games)

Yes, I understand that the workaround is complicated. For many users they would need to print out the instructions and follow them like a checklist. Further into the thread some great tweaks were also suggested.

Users have been asking for needed fixes for Autorecord in the Wish List threads for almost a year as a Missing Promised Feature:

Apply Current/Favorite Channels as a filter to Search for “just what you want to watch” - manual p. 31

Dish and the other competitors use have enabled the Favorite Channels Filter as the one-stop solution to fixing Autorecord. See:

A Simple Channels I Receive Solution

We have been told two other features will be coming soon that will help with some of the Autorecord problems:

CIR "Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package" - manual p. 33

- and -

HDTV channels/programs are not given preference in Search results as stated in 0x13d, 0x13e, & 0x17e.

There are two other missing promised features that also affect your ability to use you Autorecords:

The ability to edit "all the programs" in the Prioritizer (even when there are no upcoming episodes) - manual p. 28.

- and -

Title Search Autorecord - pp. 20 & 31 & release notes for 0x115, 0x119, & 0x11b

My family continues to use our 2001 Sony SAT-T60 as our primary receiver until DIRECTV is able to address the problems with the HR20 Autorecord.

- Craig

5. turls

turls Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    Yeah, until a game goes extra innings and you miss the end (which can still happen with "only" 6 hours). If you are around you can always stop the recording. And since they cut off the picture soon after the game ends, it can't be taking THAT much space (although it is making one tuner busy that otherwise could be recording something else).

There used to be a web page that you could view that did not give scores, but would let you know when the game was over so you could stop the recording and not risk missing part of the game. It was specifically for DVR users. Not sure if it is active any more or not.

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    And don't even get started on trying to pre-program to record the HD games. Often, we don't know until a day or two before what HD games will be on each night. No way to program this until its the same day, or sometimes, the day before.

7. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    That is the second big problem with trying to manually do your own searches.

First you have to be dilligent in remembering that the HR20 is not like DVRs made by other companies.

Second you really need to to it for each team every day. As you note, they change channels sometimes even a couple days before.

Someday soon, I hope Autorecord can work.

It seems at some point, DIRECTV would want to go after the Sports Enthusiast Market. Think how cool it would be to be able to automatically record your games! :)

- Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.