AV cable for Genie Mini?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mirak, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1 of 22
    mirak

mirak New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I've got two TVs on Genie Minis that don't have HDMI. I didn't think to tell the installer, and the TVs weren't unpacked yet, so he just left me HDMI cables for each.

One TV needs component connections for HD. The other is just a SD tube!

1. What do I need?
    2. Can I get it free from DTV or do I need to buy it myself?

Thanks!

2. Aug 4, 2014 #2 of 22
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  3. Aug 4, 2014 #3 of 22
    kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Wow, kind of surprised. D* guidelines require installers to complete the install, then activate each receiver.

:/

-=K=-

1 person likes this.
  4. Aug 4, 2014 #4 of 22
    coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    In addition to the one litzdog911 mentioned, you will need one of these for the SD tube TV. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=10pincompos

As suggested, call D* and see if they will send you them free since they should have been provided on the initial install...

5. Aug 4, 2014 #5 of 22
    mirak

mirak New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks. Called DTV and the two different cables are on their way, free of charge.

6. Aug 4, 2014 #6 of 22
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This points out why following those guidelines is so important. Then again, if DIRECTV doesn't make it absolutely clear that the TVs must be unboxed and in place, what's the installer to do?

7. Aug 4, 2014 #7 of 22
    mirak

mirak New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Right - those TVs hadn't even arrived yet. I suppose the installer should have asked me what connections I needed, but DirecTV made it right.

8. Aug 4, 2014 #8 of 22
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What is not completed????? The other option was to reschedule the install. Which one is better.?????????

9. Aug 5, 2014 #9 of 22
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The better option is:

1. Make it clear to the customer that the TVs (or a truly representative proxy) need to be in place prior to the installation. It seems like this used to be a thing.
    2. Ask the customer on the reminder call if everything is ready and wave off if it isn't.

Customers are under-informed but what is expected of the installer (per the SPIG) is pretty clear so prepare the customer better and avoid putting both in a bad position.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I used to work for Dish network, never again! And this is no different over there. So what was your point?????

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    My point is that somehow the TS hadn't even unboxed the TVs and the install took place anyway.

Too often an installer takes (and someone else allows it) an exception and it shouldn't happen on either side of the aisle. For DISH's part, the Joey at least offers composite as an option.

DIRECTV has made it non-trivial to handle non-HDMI TVs with their newest equipment, specifically the GenieMinis and the H25 (not that it wasn't a problem before absent modulators) and leaving a new customer with an HDMI cable when their TVs require a proprietary adapter is obviously not a complete install.

12. mirak

mirak New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    It was my decision to proceed with the install even though the moving truck had not arrived yet. We're in the midst of a remodel so I was sleeping on an air matress in the house. I had one small LED TV with me at the time that I bought for a guest bedroom, so that's what was used for the install.

I should have had the foresight to ask for component/composite cables for the old TVs, and the installer should have asked me. But anyway, I had the cables in hand, free of charge, less than 48 hours after calling DirecTV.

13. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    And Dish has made it non-trivial to hide their STBs by including ports of the back of the units (which necessarily increase their size) to support connection types no longer required by any TV manufactured after 2008. Both the Genie Minis and the H25s had, as their design goal, the requirement that they be as small as possible. Eventually, I wouldn't be suprised to see a "Genie Stick" developed that does what a C41W does, but in a form factor that resembles a Chromecast.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So then according to you, the tech should have left the customer with no TV, and have them reschedule the appointment AMAZING!!!!!!!

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is exactly how the "book" describes the process should work, and in your case, it worked!.

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    He is so proud of his bulky receivers that he wants to display them for every one to see that he has inferior service.... !rolling

17. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Dish Network isn't an inferior service, they just have different priorities than does DirecTV. For example, they seem to not care much about the northeast as a market since, having already written off the NY DMA by not carrying the local RSNs, they seem prepared to write off the Boston DMA as well. Dish's strategy with equipment has never been to be leading edge. They were behind DirecTV with a single tuner DVR, dual tuner DVRs and they still only have a maximum 3 tuner DVR. For years they supported composite or RF distribution to a remote TV in lieu of multi room viewing. They have, however, been far more aggressive than DirecTV with streaming support to alternate screens. They focus on innovation in places other than the STB hardware. Which isn't to say they don't do anything (the Hopper/Joey design is up to date) but they would rather do something like PTAT or commercial auto-skip than do a 5 tuner DVR.

1 person likes this.
  18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    And because I live there, they are in inferior service.

19. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You say this as if DIRECTV hasn't flagged on its "Ultimate Sports Leader" claims in the #2 DMA.

Somehow it always comes down to the NYC RSN argument whether the issue is programming, pricing or hardware.

The TS appears to be sufficiently astute to describe what they needed but imagine a CSR trying to figure out what kind of special cable is needed when the customer envisions only nondescript RCA connectors.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Because this is a HUGE market. It matters!!!!

1 person likes this.