1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Average Monthly Spending for Satellite TV Service Drops Below Cable Service

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by rjruby, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjruby

rjruby AllStar

Dec 29, 2002
  2. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    And the satellite viewers likely are getting more channels for their $$$ too.

3. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    My bill is about 101.96 a month. I compared it to my local cable for comparable service and here’s what I found.

Dish net AEP 79.99
    Network pack 11.99
    2 addt receivers 9.98

Galaxy cable Non digital cable
    Expanded Basic cable 49.99
    All movie channels 49.99
    3 Box leases 14.97

That’s 114.95

Their package was less the distant nets and only 12 movie channels.

Oh and they hope to have digital cable available some day but not any time soon.

4. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Digital Cable from Cox Omaha is $74.85 for everything plus 26 movie channels, unless you want the TeleLatina tier. Plus 6.95 per box for the outlets you want digital, no charge for other outlets where the analogue is good enough. Of course it is less if you do like I do and also get your internet, local and long distance phone through them.

Not to mention I get to deal with the company which was the 2003 Recipent of the BBB Business Integrity Award for Service Excellence.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    I can't even get a straight answer from Comcasts web site on how much it would be to get similar service.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The report fails to disclose that substantial increases in cable rates are a factor.

7. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    What substantial increases? Haven't noticed any in two years. Cox has been increasing revenue by offering additional services, not by raising rates. In fact, by subscribing to the additional services, like phone and internet, my cost has gone down.

8. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    According to the article in the Deseret News (local Salt Lake City paper) today:

Since 1998, the average monthly cost of satellite TV service is up 8 percent to $48.93 a month.
    During the same period, the monthly cost of cable surged 41 percent to $49.62

41% since 1998? Seems a bit outrageous to me.

Comcast (the cable company in my area for now) costs $53.49 for the same package as Total Choice Plus on Directv, which is $39.99. Add to that no PVR box as of yet, and a pathetic TV Guide guide system, and there is no comparison here.

9. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The Cox in your areas behaves differently than the Cox in my area. I pay $70.99. o get comparable service from Cox would mean about $85.00----and that is before the application of franchise fees which my Cox CSR could not possibly estimate for me. I would get Oxygen and two additional HBOs. But I would lose a few channels too notably the supers that re significantly viewed in my house.

I guess if you have a good cable provide go for it. I never cared for the one here.

10. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    So its not just an increase for the same service. This is an increase in price which has a direct relationship to upgraded service. And now cable is a whole 69 cents more expensive, with upgraded service. WOW, stop the presses. :lol:

Cox is now testing DVR's in two areas and I hope they hit Omaha by the end of the year. Isn't it nice when a company takes the time to work out the bugs before they release equipment that frustrates many of its customers. Plus, Cox Omaha offers HDTV. I understand from another thread here that the poor slobs who subscribe to Dish still don't have HDTV. What a ripoff.

This is the business plan my cable company uses. My answer to both long distance carriers and dish salesmen is, "Can you give me TV, internet, and local and long distance in one package?" Shuts them both up quick. If I was having problems with any of these, I would go back to DBS, but right now I have no reason, because...
    Not only that, but in Omaha, Cox is 2003 Recipent of the BBB Business Integrity Award for Service Excellence.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "...in Omaha, Cox is 2003 Recipent of the BBB Business Integrity Award for Service Excellence."

[sarcasm mode/ON] Oh, wow! I'm impressed. :rolleyes: [sarcasm mode/OFF]

Integrity award? :lol:

Since the BBB is a self-serving, mutual-benefit, paid membership organization (club), I place exactly ZERO confidence in anything that any BBB anywhere has to say. Cox cable in Omaha probably received the nebulous 2003 award because it was their turn. Car dealerships are members of BBBs. That should tell you something.
    Get a clue.

Self-congratulation doesn't impress me at all.

12. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Nick, have you ever reported a company to the BBB? I have. The BBB in New York got a company there to stop harrasing my church over the unethical business practices they were using. The BBB keeps track of complaints. I also feel they deserve the award due to my own experience in dealing with them. I suppose the J.D. Powers award ranks higher? The one that kept giving its award to Primestar year after year. The cable owned DBS company. And the one that places Cox highest among all cable companies. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.