1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B-Band Converter Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Cobra5wood, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Cobra5wood

Cobra5wood Mentor

Aug 17, 2004
    I already pay for and receive HD from Directv for my 2 HD-DVR's. I just replaced my SD kitchen TV with an HD model. I also replaced my older Hughes SD receiver in the kitchen with a Directv H21-200 receiver. Do I need a B-Band Converter to receive HD thru the newer receiver. I cannot get HD with or without the Converter. Perhaps it was a CS Rep error when they activated the new receiver.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yes. Since you were using that old Hughes box I am going to venture a guess that you aren't using SWM, so you need BBCs if you want to see any HD.

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    When you went through the sat setup, it should have told you right on the screen that it needed one.

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I have a stupid question - was your kitchen receiver connected to the same dish that your HD DVRs are? Just a long-shot, but if you had just a standard dish feeding your kitchen equipment, that could be your problem. If connected to your HD dish, there are no splitters or anything like that in the line, right?

The other guys covered my other thoughts.

5. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Unless you are using SWiM, the only receiver that does not need the B-band converters for HD is the HR23-700.

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Also the H23.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Another common problem: a tech who installed, say, a 3x4 switch to feed those SD receivers. Unless you know for sure, don't assume that your sat lines are home-ran to the switch.