1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Back to You", Grammer/Heaton

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by SayWhat?, Jun 30, 2009.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I've never heard of this show, but it just appeared on Amazon on DVD. Comments on their page indicate most people liked it. Anybody remember it?

2. sacalait

sacalait Godfather

Aug 6, 2007
    West Palm...
    Short lived but I enjoyed it. I have always been a Grammar fan since back in the Cheers days and add to that Patricia Heaton (Hot) topped off with the witty dry humor of Fred Willard and it was a winner for me.

3. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    It was alright, but it clearly was a star vehicle without wheels. I have no need to see Grammer or Heaton just for the sake of seeing either of them in a program.

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    The program was a casuality of the writers strike.

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The show had potential. It had a few rough spots, but I think if it had continued it would have matured into a okay comedy.

6. bgartz

bgartz Legend

Jun 23, 2006
    We liked the show, but they were to quick to retool, and after the writers strike the show went downhill. It had potential.

7. Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    +100

The show had filmed I think about 8 episodes, and was right about at the point where they would start to tweek it based on the feedback. Then the writers strike hit. As could be seen by the decrease in screen time by some of the other characters.

The actress that played the daughter, left for something else. The one they got to replace her really didn't fit, and she was a fair portion of the first season's story line.

The show had plenty of potential to grow and solidify as it was a lot of star power in the top two slots and I personally thought they were starting to mesh well, until the long hiatus.

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Makes me wonder how many more of these sleeper shows are out there that got lost in all the fake-ality and game shows the networks have been pounding us with.

The info says it's a 3 DVD set, but if there were only 8 or 10 episodes, that won't be enough for any of the cable/sat networks to pick it up.

Talk about a great niche network -- one that focuses on these sleeper shows that got cut before their time. Could be interesting. Probably wouldn't pay for itself though, eh?

9. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    There were more than 8 or 10 episodes, that is just where the strike hit them.

I liked the show personally.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I think that's already been tried... I believe the channel was Trio and their slogan was "Great show, but cancelled" or something like that. Now that was a good channel.

- Merg

11. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    The show was pretty good - I liked the supporting cast, but my biggest difficulty was seeing Patricia Heaton as someone other than Deborah Barone. (From episode 1 Kelsey Grammer was clearly not Frasier, so I was OK with him.)

The other problem I had is they recast the daughter in the last few episodes - I liked the first one better.

Other than that, it was a funny show. I'd look to see if it was available for streaming on Netflix or on Hulu before paying for it though.

12. TJStaar

TJStaar AllStar

Aug 1, 2006
    I thought Fred Willard was the real star of the show. He was great in every episode. The one where they went to a party at his house was hysterical.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I feel the same while. The show itself was hilarious but Fred Willard stole every scene he was in.

14. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    The show was OK, but I was watching for Patricia Heaton.

15. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    Wasn't bad, I wouldn't buy it though, just get it from netflix.

16. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    ^ Agreed. I enjoyed those I watched, but wouldn't revisit them.

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Picked up the DVD. Watched the first 4 or 5 episodes. It's OK, but not quite as good as I expected. Nothing wrong with it either. Sort of an updated WKRP in some ways.

18. herkulease

herkulease AllStar

Jul 28, 2007
    The writer's strike doomed a lot of shows. Maybe some of it can be put on the networks for deciding not to promote shows that gotten their season's shorten by the strike after it was over or even bothering to try and get a few more episodes out. Most people have short term memory of shows.

Only the shows Chuck and Big Bang Theory that began their life during the strike season survived to see a third season. Chuck is barely hanging on. A mid season replacement, and may or may not get a full 3rd season.

Most shows in fact didn't even survive to see a full 2nd season.

19. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean that the shows that died wouldn't have died if it wasn't for the strike. We watched Back To You, but I remember saying to my wife that it wasn't good enough to survive.

20. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I've never seen the show but Fred Willard is a national treasure.