Backing up Programs from a Dying (?) Reciever

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ReggieA, Jul 26, 2016.

1. ReggieA

ReggieA New Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hollidaysbur...
    Folks, I have a problem that may be odd. One of the 5 tuners in my HR44/500 receiver is apparently dead. When I go into the menu item which lets me test the tuners, 4 of the 5 show excellent signal strength; one shows none. It's #3, at the moment; but they seem to be automatically renumbered if the preamp looses power (and something resets?). The bad tuner started out as Tuner #1, but following my technician's advice I unplugged and replugged the preamp; and it reset so that the bad tuner is now #3.

As to symptoms: If I am recording two items (on Tuner #1 and #2), I can not watch or record anything else. The unit would try to use Tuner #3, but that reports it can't see the satellite, so instead of programming I get the "bad cable" error message. The cable is obviously good; I'm successfully recording and watching other programming! It's just that the one tuner acts disconnected.

I wouldn't mind swapping this receiver for a good one from DirecTV, but the hard drive is 95% full of programs which I don't want to loose. And there doesn't seem to be a official way to back them up; let alone watch them after I have a new receiver.

Now, this is a "Genie" unit, and I understand that I can stream the contents to another device (using the GenieGO ap?) Would it be possible to connect my laptop (and backup storage) to the receiver via Wi-Fi or the Ethernet ports, and get the contents off that way? I do not have high-speed internet at home, but I could connect straight from my laptop's Wi-Fi to the receiver's Wi-Fi, and with my laptop connected to the internet (via dial-up) spoof the high-speed connection "required" while bringing the programming over to my laptop for storage. I have the Hauppauge hard- and software to watch and record TV on my laptop, so if I could save the programming in an acceptable format I could watch it on the laptop.

Or is all this impossible, and I'm SOL?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm not so sure it is your Genie; tuners jumping around like that sound like an issue I had with my SWM16 years ago.

What other equipment do you have and what kind of SWM is in your system?

3. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Directv isn't the company to go with if you want recordings forever. My understanding harddrive content is encrypted and married to receiver.
    Dish Network I believe is different and possible to keep recordings.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The only practical way to "save" recordings is to play them and manually record them on an external device. There is no way to move the files themselves, or the hard drive, and be able to read/view the recorded programs.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think TRH is on to something. Problem reads like a system issue, not a Genie issue.

Learning more about the other receivers and SWM etc. would help.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah reads like swim or even a bizzare cabeling issue that you honestly have not actually ruled out per se.

But more importantly what else is in your system? You don't happen to have to hr2xs of some sort or other receivers? And are all Unused ports terminated?

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What is the verbatim of the error message

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You also said in another thread that your Genie was 96% full. While that should be unrelated to this, you might want to clear out some space on that hard drive.

And I probably wouldn't install or try to use the MobileDVR system when it becomes available in your state. The shows are stored on your Genie's drive.

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What receivers/DVRs do you have aside from the Genie? If you have four other tuners in use with your other equipment, perhaps it isn't a bad tuner, but a lack of SWM channels.

10. ReggieA

ReggieA New Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hollidaysbur...
    I have a "modern" oval-shaped dish, with one LNB. Cable running in, to a "OUO" SWM with connections to 120V power, dish, and a DirecTV spliiter, which connects to the HR44 Master and one slave unit. The distance to the Master is maybe 20', to the slave is maybe 10'. Each of these has an HD TV connected to it. There are no unterminated outputs.

11. ReggieA

ReggieA New Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hollidaysbur...
    Well, it's a tuner that says it's not seeing an input signal. As I said, I only have 2 TVs, one each on the HR44 Master and Slave units. I may be able to get my laptop's tuner card connected to the RCA plug output, on the back of the Master; and capture a screen shot of the tuner test screen. I think I could post that here, right?

Where, physically, are these tuners? Are they part of the SWM unit, or are they in the receiver box itself?

12. ReggieA

ReggieA New Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hollidaysbur...
    Do tell. if only I could siphon some shows off onto another drive, you know, like a backup?

And I've tried setting up a GenieGO DVR on my laptop; on the theory that I could put the shows onto a thumb drive or something. I would have to watch them via the GenieGO application, but at least they'd be off the HR44's hard drive. Unfortunately, I've yet to get the receiver's wi-fi to connect to my laptop's wi-fi. I set up an ad-hoc network, the receiver sees it, I tell it the password correctly, but there's an error logging in. (I haven't "seen" the receiver, on the laptop's network.) Yes, I had the laptop on-line, and permission granted for other things to use the internet connection. It's only dial-up, but I'm not streaming video through it; just allowing it to ping or log in to DirecTV's site to register itself. I'd hoped at least to run the video over the wi-fi directly, which I think you're allowed to do *once connected*. (And there's the problem.)