1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backlit DirecTV Remote Control

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 1953, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1 of 41

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Has anyone purchased the backlit DirecTV remote control? Does anyone regardless of having purchased it have an opinion or comments about this alternative to a aftermarket remote?

2. Jun 3, 2010 #2 of 41
    drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    I like them. I have several. I use them strictly as a D remote so I can't comment on multifunction use on other equipment. They are all programed to operate each of my DVRs. The backlight feature works well. It can be turned on and off easily. The NFL remotes are backlit and are available for about $20 on the D website. I use them in RF mode and they work very well. No complaints.

3. Jun 4, 2010 #3 of 41
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Agree. I like my backlit remotes.

4. Jun 4, 2010 #4 of 41
    codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I do to, they light up nice especially when the power goes out. :lol:

5. Jun 4, 2010 #5 of 41
    Fabuloso

Fabuloso AllStar

Jun 13, 2009
    worth getting cause you can change channels in the dark and in RF mode under the sheets :D I got mine for free just by calling and asking a question about it

6. Jun 4, 2010 #6 of 41
    codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    What kind of question?

7. Jun 4, 2010 #7 of 41
    cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    The backlight goes off during each button push, which I find very annoying and distracting, so I usually leave the backlight turned off (luckily it's an option).

8. Jun 4, 2010 #8 of 41
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I've had backlit remotes for quite some time. I find that my fingers know where to go without the light.

9. Jun 4, 2010 #9 of 41
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got three and prefer them to the normal remotes.

Rich

10. jford951

jford951 Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    I just got an RF/IR one about a week ago and I think it is great

11. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I like my back lit Harmony 650.

12. tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
    I got a NFL Bears one when they went on clearance on the directv website and they were the cheapest remote, it also lights and and is RF. I love it. It's a good aftermarket remote but it doesn't understand more complicated setups (eg. I can't set the TV Input to control my audio amp input)

13. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    We use a backlit remote in the bedroom and it is nice to see the buttons with the lights off.

I will say I wish they would make the backlight work a little differntly, since the button on teh side enables and disables it as well as turning the light on. Once its on, you have to hit a button to make it light up. SInce you can't see, you have to either hit the backlight button twice to light it (once, which turns the light off, then again to turn it on) or hit a random button on the remote, which depending on what screen you are could be different, so it is not easy to always do.

They should have an enable disable button in the back with the battery (theres room rfor a DIP switch right on the baord beside the bottom battery) and have the side button just function to light the remote each time.

14. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    My favorite backlit remotes have a motion sensor to turn on the backlight when you pick it up. The ideal solution would be to also have a light sensor to disable the backlight during the day, as well as a switch to enable/disable at will.

15. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Yeah, we use a Harmony in teh Living room because the system is much more complicated and I do like the motion sensitive backlight and it would be awesome if the DirecTV remote had that too. But at the cost , I can see why they don't.

16. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It's great. I have used one for several years. The only issue I have is that the battery life is short (as would be expected) and if the battery is a tight fit it's not that easy to change.

17. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    whatever you do, if you buy one get it from from directv!, best buy sells the backlit D* remote for $49.99!!!.I think directv sells it for around $25.00.:eek2:

18. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My Sammy came with a motion sensor for it's backlit remote and it has the worse battery life of any remote I have ever had. 2 AA last about 3 weeks and then are completely dead.

I have 3 DTV backlight remotes and they are nice but my finger just know whrere the buttons are anyway.

19. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    We use the Directv backlight in our bedroom. It's ok and pretty easy to use.

Biggest issue is switching between some TV and Directv functions are a little bit of a pain because of the switch on the top of the remote. IE.. using Sleep on the TV.

Also.. it's annoying having the Directv box constantly remind us that we switched modes... thanks but no thanks..

20. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin