backlit remotes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by eletric chicken, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Jan 5, 2020 #1 of 43
    eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    i wish DTV would make the backlit remotes default!!! what do others think about this???

2. Jan 5, 2020 #2 of 43
    techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I do as well I love my blacklit remotes.

About 3 years ago I managed to find 2 Detroit Lions and 1 Cincinnati Bengals official D* NFL remotes on eBay for cheap and brand new still in box with the batteries that came with them lol. I also have 1 backlit Genie remote that I purchased from D* in 2015. As long as I have D* I will never use non-backlit remotes again.

3. Jan 5, 2020 #3 of 43
    Tritron

Tritron Member

Dec 7, 2019
    What is the point ? I use alexa cube with my tvs and I have logithech remote app on my phone.

4. Jan 5, 2020 #4 of 43
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I still have a couple Jets remotes. I'd try selling them but who would buy them? Not easy being a Jets fan.

When I got the 44 some years ago it came with one of the original remotes, wasn't backlit and all the buttons were black on a black background. Had to have a flashlight close to hand. The backlit version is a lot better.

Rich

5. Jan 5, 2020 #5 of 43
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Everybody has their own way of doing this. YMMV is the point. I do have Cubes and I do use them. And I prefer dedicated remotes but I do have a Harmony. Nobody uses it.

Rich

HiDefRev likes this.
  6. Jan 5, 2020 #6 of 43
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    litzdog911 likes this.
  7. Jan 5, 2020 #7 of 43
    ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Cable company remotes have been backlit for many years. Why DIRECTV'S aren't are beneath me. I have a suspicion that they are trying to make money from sales of the backlit remote. What other reason could there be? Why are they not standard? Any response AT&T?

8. Jan 6, 2020 #8 of 43
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    RC7XB_medlrg.jpg RC7XB

eletric chicken and AZ. like this.
  9. Jan 6, 2020 #9 of 43
    techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    A friend got me an Amazon Echo Dot and during Black Friday Walmart had this Chromecast/Goggle Home Mini bundle that cost the same as a standalone Chromecast so I picked it up. I still haven't set them up. I just like each TV having its own remote tbh.

I'm not really a sports fan and I have no favorite team lol. At the time I saw the 3 I got on eBay I grabbed them because blue and orange are my favorite colors and I liked how they looked. Plus my friend has the Steelers remote and it seems the official NFL remotes strangely have a better build quality than the standard Universal remote & standard backlit Universal remote that D* puts out.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've used backlit D* remotes for many years, usually have to buy them but they have existed for a long time.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I dunno, I keep reading about the wonderfulness of the rather expensive universal remotes and thinking I should have one. I've tried to use them for years and I just prefer the dedicated remotes. I have yet to see any universal remote that is better than a D* remote or can do things a D* can't. Just an opinion.

Rich

eletric chicken likes this.
  12. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    i wish they made em the default remote instead of having to buy em. they make those things in the millions how much would it really hurt there wallet to make backlit remote the default remotes

13. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    i have a google home hub that won't work with the genie only alexa will. and that's the last thing i want is 500 things to talk to:D:confused:

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    In business the name of the game is profits. On the other hand the backlit remote is very handy to have and worth every penny.

eletric chicken likes this.
  15. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    They have them. I bought two of the long candy bar ones. They were backlit too. I paid a modest $25 bucks each. I felt the Genie remotes should have came standard as a backlit remote. They were to replace the candy bar ones. DIRECTV is kind of keeping it a secret that this remote is available. Some reps act like it is not in their inventory. Some people can back me up. What is the big deal? Give them to your customers for "FREE".

Rich likes this.
  16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    What is more, the cost of a better remote or the cost of losing the customer? The math seems simple. Too many people are looking for the last straw. Don't give customers excuses to leave.

17. longhorn23

longhorn23 Active Member

Jan 19, 2019
    So can you buy the backlit remotes directly from Directv? And if so, for how much?

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Next time you have an installer in your home ask him for a new remote. They usually have them on the trucks. Or you could call D* and waste some time. When I need a remote I buy them from Solid Signal. Path of least resistance.

Rich

longhorn23 likes this.
  19. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I prefer the rectangle remotes. Hate the new "hotel" remotes. The rectangle ones are backlit too. Why bother going through DirecTV? You can buy them new anywhere for $10-$15 or less.

longhorn23 likes this.
  20. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I had a non-backlit remote go bad and the one D* sent me was backlit. I didn't request the backlit remote. Just recently I had to replace the backlit remote and I requested a backlit remote when I had D* to send me a new one. It arrived and it was not backlit. If you get it from D* I think it is just the luck of the draw.

longhorn23 likes this.