bad audio and video on voom

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by ibooksrule, Jun 14, 2004.

1. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    i just had voom installed today and i have to say im not happy with it at all. he said that would not work and that the dish was to big. then the antenna he put up for my OTA wont pick up but 3 of my locals and only 2 are all the time ther other takes awhile when you tune to it for it to show up. I told him since the voom dish is really close to the house to put the antenna on top of the E* dish500 that sets out from the house further but he wouldnt do it. BUt my worst problem is that the audio and video on most of my channels cut out mostly the HD channels i can get the SD channels fine but i cant watch the Sd movie channels they seem to have audio problems too then i can watch them for a little while but then after 10-15 min i will have audio/ video cut outs again and its often like it cuts out every 1-2 minutes which can get very annoying. help someone who knows what i can do let me know please. Oh my signal from voom is about 89-91 so i cant see that being the problem. my off air channels are 19-30 even the ones i cant get are in the same range now im also curious that i get a signal from off air antenna and yet i unplugged it. what i mean is i un did it from the switch and then i looked on the guide system info and it says i still have a 15-17 signal.

2. mrdectown

mrdectown Legend

Apr 10, 2004
    Not sure where you are located But i am in Decatur City Atlanta. so i am in the middle of all the OTA air waves. so its like all the locals are surrounding me but they are not all in the same place so i had to pic a direction yo have him point the OTA anttena in to get the most channels.( also before purchasing voom i went to the OTA anntenna site to see where i was in ajacent to my locals) my guess is you didnt do that. SO sorry bout your locals. As far as sound my problem with sound is the complete opposite. See i have E* 811 and my voom box hooked up to my TV, And when i am watching E* i have to put my volume at like 13 out of 30,but lets say i switch to voom the volume is super high i have to put it down to get this: 3 out of 30. There sound is the best feature. I am gonna have to move because my tv is too loud with too much bass for my apt. Anyway i love voom there SD channels look better and the PQ has inproved 10 fold sense i had it. So in the words if AMW from NWA:TNA wrestling which airs friday @ 3pm "Sorry Bout Your damn Luck"

3. Steve8978

Steve8978 Guest

No problems here. Great sound and great HD pictures. Much better than other services. Probably your equipment...not Voom.

4. bryan27

bryan27 DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

Apr 1, 2002
    ibooksrule, has things improved? When V* is installed it has an older sofware version which is very buggy. You have to put the receiver in standby overnight (pressing the SAT button on the remote) and download the new software. Version 5.68 is the most current software.

For OTA call V* and request a larger antenna be installed. This will probably help. One thing to remember with OTA many stations are at very low power, so unless you can actually see the tower you might not receive it. Also there are 18 different OTA standards, some decode faster than others. I also get a signal reading when disconnecting the OTA antenna this is just a bug in the program.

A signal level of 89-91 is okay, but it really should be higher than 91. There are probably some TPs that are comming in lower than 89 which could be causing the audio/video problems. Call V* and request the larger 30" dish.

I don't know why the installer didn't install the dish near the E*500. They are supposed to put it where you want it (provided it can get signal there), or ask you if it is okay to put it somewhere.

When calling V* press 1, if you press 3 you'll never get anybody.

Hope this helps.

5. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    well i put voom over on my E* 500 dish that i have for sky angel but with just one lnb in it and now i jump up to about 95-96 but i dont think its going to be any highere i dont get any more with sky angel then that and it hasnt helped it any i dont think its a singal problem or every station would do it but i wil see today after its been in standby for the night how things go. as far as the OTA antenna well the towers are in the direction on the front side of the townhome not the back and well thats why i said put it on top of the E* dish it will be away from the house and part of it wouldnt even be blocked by the roof line where as now its up aginst the house and theres a big chimney and stuff blocking it. but he didnt listen he also tryed charging me for a flat rg6 cable i was like ok. then he didnt have anyway of mounting the dish other then screwing it into the deck and i told him that the townhome doesnt like that and it has to be clammped or on a tripod or something but he said if he had to get that stuff that i would be chanrged for the price of the tripod or the clamps or any other hardware. He was really rude and his daugheter would call on the phone and he yelled at her and cussed her out which i thought was very un professional. But i will call voom and see whats up with getting a differet OTA and as far as the dish i think ill just keep it when i go take it down today unless they will want it back if i cancell voom at any time later on.

6. bryan27

Apr 1, 2002
    I would ask for a different installer, some are better than others, and you don't have to stay with the same one.

All transponders have different power, but if it is now 95-96 your lowest will probably be 92. The signal is now better.

I would take the VOOM dish down and put it away somewhere incase you ever cancel service. It also appears the OTA antenna should be about 5ft higher.

My installer used the E* dish I already had pointed at 61.5 and my existing OTA antenna. He left the VOOM dish and mountings, and he left the mounting hardware for the OTA antenna. I used the OTA mounting hardware yesterday for an extra OTA antenna I had and connected it to my OTA STB in the bedroom.

If the problems don't improve overnight it would appear you would need to call VOOM to have the receiver replaced. Just kill 3 birds with one stone, get different installer, larger antenna, and replacement receiver. Hopefully those 3 things will cure all the problems.

7. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    well i called voom and they are giving me a month credit for the problems of missing an appointment and for the audio and video problems. Now the audio is always out of sync with the video and i told voom and the guy on the phone told me i didnt know what i was talking about and it was because i had dish and it was interfering with the voom. but i did try using a directv switch and running 2 cables from my SA 20" dish and ran it into the directv switch and then one cable out into my sw21 and into the house and it works just fine even though the installer told me it wouldnt work and that i didnt know what i was talking about. They are coming out next week to give me a new receiver and a bigger off air antenna and check everything for me

8. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    how do i ask for a different installer?

9. bryan27

Apr 1, 2002
    Good, on getting a month free. I'm not sure on how the switches work, but I assume the D* ones will work as they are standard and the V* box is a standard receiver.

CSRs aren't very technical, so disregard what they tell you. When I ordered V* the CSR told me an E* or D* dish wouldn't work with V* and I had to use their OTA antenna because the dish and antenna was more advanced :lol:

If you haven't already open up an account at the V* site http://www.voom.com click the "use it" and then click "Login to MY VOOM" there you can log in or create a log in by using your V* acc# or home address.

Once you get all signed up and logged in click on "Installation" this will give you your appointments.

When you sign up at the V* site everything you do is supposed to get e-mailed. All installs and service visits will be e-mailed with the name of the installer. If the installer is the same one you had last time you would call Installs Inc. and ask for a different installer. You could probably call and ask Installs Inc. who will be showing up for the service call and if it is the same guy ask for someone else.

The number for Installs is 1-800-344-4856

I had a really good installer, he left his number if I need anything in the future and left me his e-mail address. The thing is he started out installing OTA antennas and then moved up to DBS, KU-Band dishes, and phone lines. He prefers the customer call him first instead of calling V* as it could be something really simple. Only if more installers were as serious, dedicated, and professional.

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I had a great Voom installer. He came back after the initial Voom install to reconfigure my 'dish tree' so all three dishes (110/119+61.5 for E* and 61.5 for V*) could coexist on my 8' pole (6' out of the ground), and put in a new 100'+ outside run for Voom plus two additional 100'+ runs of RG6 for my two Dish receivers. It took him about two and a half hours in the middle of a very hot and very humid Georgia day. All cabling was buried or secured along the foundation just below the bottom edge of the siding. When he was through, he cleaned up his debris and left everything neat and well secured. He told me to call him if I had any problems. I gave him a $100 tip for a job well done.

11. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    what does satellite signal power/snr and off air signal power/snr mean?
    im running a signal quality of 95 on voom and off air of 54 on one channel and 19 on all others myu sat signal pwoer is 94/14.16 and my orr air is 64/0.00 on most channels
    any help on this

12. bryan27

Apr 1, 2002
    It really isn't anything to worry about. SNR means Signal To Noise and is represented in Decibels (dB).

Signal Quality is the actual signal strength.
    Signal Power is the signal strength minus any noise from the LNB (and interference if there is any)

You want your SNR to be as high as possible. There isn't anything you as a consumer can do to make it higher and is a reading used by techs.

0.00 SNR on your OTA means you are picking up a lot of interference. There isn't much that one can do about that either.

As long as you have a picture there isn't anythnig to worry about.

My current reading is:

Satellite Signal Quality: 95
    Off-Air Signal Quality: 30
    Satellite Signal Power/SNR: 76/14.91 (we have clouds and some sprinkles so I would expect these to be a little low on a sunny day it is usually 92/18.??)
    Off-Air Signal Power/SNR: 37/18.57 (for the station I am on that is a good reading)

13. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    SNR = Signal-to-Noise-Ratio. It is the mathmatical relationship of received signal strength to random RF interference, or "noise" level. The higher the signal strength and/or the lower the noise level, the better.

...other than making sure your dish is precisely aimed for peak signal strength, and that all connections from the lnb to the receiver are clean and tight, and 75 Ohm RG6 coaxial cable is employed rather than RG59, and the coax is in good physical condition and is not longer than recommended length.

Other than that, there is nothing you can do to improve SNR. ;)

14. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    2 questions here
    1 does an inline amp help any for satellite or ota broadcasts? i had boughten 2 a couple years ago and never used them so i was curious and if they do help what exactlly do they do?
    2 my voom audio and picture were great and loud except when it would cut out but when id get a good time and it would work for awhile it would be great but today my picture quality on the HD channels looks like anything i see on dish in SD or just slightly better. and my audio was louder and much cleaner and clearer then dish but today it has been horrible all day i could barley hear things had to crank up the vloume and then it wouldnt be as clear the voices were more muffled. but when i go back to dish its just like it always was its not worse and when i play a dvd its normal and they are all coming through the same amp and speakers so any idea on whats wrong? anything i could do to make it better?

15. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The problem is that you have problems that are unlike the problems others with dissimilar problems are having. If you could get problems that are similar to the problems others have, perhaps those that have those other types of problems could help you.

Personally, I have no problems with Voom.

16. bryan27

Apr 1, 2002
    You explained it better than I could :)

I'm going to say that there is a problem with your STB. Just hang in till the tech arrives for your service call.

In line amps are for long cable runs and just boosts the weak signal caused by the losses in the line. You might see slight improvement to OTA, but not much. I wouldn't recomend them for anything other than long cable runs (over 150'). They only amp the signal very little about 10dB.

Are you running two lines one for OTA and one for the dish or are you running the OTA and dish through one line and using a diplexer? I'm only familiar with running two lines so I don't know if this will work with a diplexer.

To get better OTA you need a pre-amp. Plain and simple. The amp is mounted near the antenna, mine is about 4 ft. below the antenna. Inside, behind the TV is a good place, you put the power "injector" and then connect the output to your TV (or in this case to your VOOM STB). I'm using a Radio Shack pre-amp that has 36dB gain connected to a Winegard antenna (I can't remember the model number but it is UHF and the length is over 100 in). It is enough to pull in a 50Kw station 46 miles away.

An FM trap is also another good thing to have. The Radio Shack pre-amp has one built in and is enough for most instalations, but if you live close to an FM tower (I have one next door) you might need more. I have an additional FM trap placed outside between the antenna and the pre-amp.