1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by miggo, Aug 4, 2012.

1. miggo

miggo AllStar

Feb 28, 2007
    I just reactivated my service with Directv. I turned on my trusty OWNED (Important note here) HR20 and tuned in several channels. Everything worked great for about 10 minutes. Then the picture locked up and nothing worked. I waited about 15 minutes before doing anything and then pressed the reset button. Now when it turn on I get a message shortly after the receiver self check starts that states "A problem has been detected in the storage device" blah blah blah ... I have tried to reboot a few time with no luck. It there a more complete test to help identify the issue? Since this is a owned receiver I may try to swap drives but I don't want to ruin my drive if the problem is elsewhere.

Thanks, Mike

2. miggo

miggo AllStar

Feb 28, 2007
    It has been a while since I used this system. I forgot I had connected a 2TB esata drive to this when I used it last. I did not connect because of a failed internal drive though, I just wanted the storage. Anyway, I just hooked it up and the trusty HR 20 formatted the drive and it is booting. Looks like I do have a failed internal drive. I may just install this drive in the device now. Or not, the esata setup has been pretty solid.

Thanks again, Mike

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You used to be able to his SELECT when it first pops up the Receiver self test message, and have access to a slew of options.