Bad HDMI Port On HR-34?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Justin23, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    We had some bad storms this past week in the Central Florida area, and I'm wondering if this somehow fried the HDMI port on my HR-34.

I've swapped out the HDMI cable and used a different HDMI port on the TV.

The same cable on the same port works fine with my Blu-Ray player.

What is odd is this storm didn't fry the receiver itself, because the DVR Playlist is visible on my H25.

All lights show on the receiver front and it responds to the remote buttons

As with all of my electronics I have them hooked up to a surge protector. I also noticed that after the same storm that my internet modem isn't working either.

I guess if it is just the HDMI port I'm surprised the whole receiver didn't die with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a System Test and see if it reveals anything.

3. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Sorry I should've mentioned that the HR-34 can't be displayed in my TV.

Keep seeing a message to "check the source", which is why I'm thinking its a bad HDMI port on the HR-34.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try a set of Component Cables. They work for all but 1080p PPV movies.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You can try component cables as Jimmy indicates or even as a test use composite cables to get to the menu screens.

6. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    I had a Router fried (behind an UPS and Surge Protector) on Sunday 4/18 as well so I feel your pain.

1) Switch the HDMI input connector to a secondary one on your TV. It could be the TV's HDMI connector that was fried.

2) Switch HDMI cable. They can go bad.

3) Connect your HR34 to another TV in another room via HDMI. Even if the HR34 is not connected to the Dish. You should be able to see it start up on screen -even as it boots to where it cannot find a satellite signal.

Between those 3, you will find out where your issue is.