Bad Storms; PI or SWM ODU LNB?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by smiddy, May 23, 2008.

1. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Hi All,

Last night we had a storm rip through our area which brought with it lightening. One strike sounded as though it hit our neighbors' house. We had a breaker pop for our master bedroom. I subsequently turned off all none essential equipment, including the DVRs, computers, audio/video, etcetera. I dind't turn off the PI however. This morning in my limited time scurrying around getting two kids ready and Mrs. Smiddy saying the screens are blank, nothing is working, hectic manicisms [Smiddy-ism], I was able to turn all the HD Receivers on and none where getting the satellite (the initial sat). I then went to the PI to see, since I forgot about it last night and it was cold (it is usually fairly warm to the touch). Looking inside I didn't see any lights, so I assume it bit it last night.

BTW, I am now at work, so I am probing for ideas. Does anyone know if there is a fuse inside the PI that I can swap out? Is it possible to remove the PI from the equation entirely if my cable runs are short enough?

That is all I can think of at the moment, I need to get working on a fire here and I am interviewing a person today the help me out. I will check back by noon-ish my time.

-smiddy

2. jcrandall

jcrandall Godfather

Jun 18, 2004
    I think you will need a new power inserter to even find out if the LNB still works. I don't think there is a fuse inside, at least not that I can see.

3. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks for checking!

4. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007

Hmm Smiddy,

If the PI is fried then a surge protector is going to be necessary. Mine is not on a surge protector. we can get fairly bad storms here. Sounds like you will be swapping the LNB's tonight!

5. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Actually if he has three receivers and puts in a 4 way power passing splitter, it would work well enough until he gets the PI working.

bob

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Oh dear smiddy,
    I currently have a PI waiting for a SWMLine LNB.
    Hope you don't need a SWMLine LNB, as the wait is..... [I still don't know as I haven't gotten my replacement yet]. :(

7. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    hmm.,,,,,,,will be nice to know if swm-lnb is smoked too!

8. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    It was on a surge protector along with an OTA Amp, the Amp is still functional, I think. I will check when I get home, perhaps the surge protector died and saved the two. The light for the surge protector was on however, so I assumed it was good (I turned it on and off). :(

9. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Consdiering the power of the 2.3 MHz signal I figured it may work without the PI and my cable runs are reasonable short. My setup is as you describe. Though I won't be home until around 1700 local. :rolleyes:

10. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Yeah, I wonder if the LNB got struck . . . so it is possible it fried too.

11. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Keeping my fingers crossed that the LNB is ok.
    I live where lightning is a daily occurence six months of the year so I worry alot about lightning.

From your description and your own breaker popped, you had a strike dang close. The static field from the strike probably hit the LNB, and fried the PI since it was connected via coax. And the OTA amp survived on a surge protector means it probably didn't come in through the AC.

Doesn't mean the LNB is necessarily bad but it provided a path.

A few years back, I had a direct hit on an antenna about 30' from the 3LNB. The 3 LNB was fine, the multiswitch died as did one of my Sony receivers. So it's possible your LNB is OK. Let us know.

12. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    Oh Smiddy, All that hard work you put into the First look and you get this in return!! Just not right!!:nono: Hope things work out for the best.

13. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I'm hip man, where's the love?

OK, here's the deal the PI is hosed. I put the connection to the PI onto the 4-way and guess what? The H20-600 right away was receiving a signal. The HR21-200 saw the satellite. The HR20-700 however doesn't so while doing the CE this evening I may have to remove a few tuners to get things done. The bottom line is I need a new PI, I think. I have the cover off, but between this forum buzz and the kids, I am not getting to it and since I have a stop gap in place for now I will leave it at that.

Tom, I may need your help getting a new PI.

14. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    It does seem karmically wrong. Unfortunately, a group hug here won't get you a working PI. :(

Hope you get one quick!

15. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I can always put the four port LNB on fairly quickly but I would be without the use of the H20-600 since I use the HR20 and HR21 daily for recordings and the H20-600 is a spare HD source...man I love HD (read, in every sense fo HD). :)

16. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah, at least you have that. Could be worse!

17. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I'm going in (PI-28 opened up), I don't see a fuse though...humm.

18. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Do you have a 4 port power passing splitter handy ( Ideal from Home Depot). If so, you may get back in business. Mine did when I was doing the original testing. I had 3 receivers hooke up, and everything worked correctly. Apparently there was enough current to power the SWMLine from threee receivers.

Bob

19. jcrandall

jcrandall Godfather

Jun 18, 2004
    That's something good to remember if I ever have my PI go down :)

20. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I have that Radio Shack 40 - 2175 MHz which appeared to work at first, one IRD got information from the sats, but once I rebooted the others all three went down (not receiving sats). I then barrel one connection to one IRD, so one direct line to one IRD and got nothing again. I will relook this morning when I'm less frustrated. I will have to get a true 4-way with 2 - 2175 MHz all power passing too.