1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad SWiM power supply

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jacksonm30354, Apr 3, 2013.

1. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    Since this weekend, I have been getting intermittent 775 messages. If I unplug the SWiM power supply it seems to work okay for anywhere from a few hours to a day.

Coincidentally, I have reset my cable modem several times close to the times these 775 messages appear.

Tonight, my Internet is down and I am getting the 775 message and unplugging and rep lugging the SWiM power supply is not having an effect.

I would not think the Internet and 775 messages would be tied together, but it's odd that its happening at the same time the cable modem is being rest or Internet is down.

Correction: replugging in did work, there was just a delay.

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    It could be the power supply but my guess would be something else. LNB maybe.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    have you checked the connections to the power supply? specially those outside by the splitter and/or ground block?

4. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    All connections are good and are inside. I have a SWiMline dish not an actual SWiM, sorry for that omission.

5. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    You have either a slimline dish with a SWM LNB or you have a slimline dish with legacy (4 lines) LNB and a SWM module. Either way you have most likely a bad connection somewhere or you have a bad SWM LNB or SWM module. Or bad power supply but not as likely.

6. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If you have a swm power supply you must have a swm lnb or swm switch, like a swm8.

7. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    Sorry for the incorrect terminology. My understanding is the common terminology for a Slimline dish with the SWM built in (1 wire coming into house) was the SWiMline. The Slimline without the builtin SWM has the standard 4 lines coming into the house and a separate SWM. I have the former.

Connections have all been checked and have worked fine and no issues in the past 14 months. Power inserted during the 775 still maintains a green light.

I find it a bit odd these messages started in the same timeframe I was resetting the cable modem or Internet service went out. But I guess that's just a coincidence.

I'll put in a service call to DirecTV.

Thanks

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Before calling, check that the connections to the power supply and to the dish are tight. I had an intermittent 775 after replacing the carpet and it turns out the line to the power supply was simply loose.

If you did the wiring yourself, did you use solid copper core wire between the dish and power supply? Using copper-clad steel can cause issues.

If you do need to replace the power supply, or at least if you think you do, it is a simple operation and the power supplies are easy to come by through reputable online directv dealers.

It could also be the LNB as others have said, but that is a bit harder for a DIYer.

9. racermd

racermd Legend

Dec 17, 2006
    I've had a similar problem to what you describe and it turned out to be an unstable ground connection.

I, too, have a SWMLine LNB and I have a bunch of other equipment on the board where all the lines run to (including the ground block) in the basement. Much of that equipment is plugged into my consumer-grade UPS so I don't have any problems with short-term power drops. One of the other symptoms I was trying to resolve was an oddly-behaving home server connected to the same UPS as the other equipment.

In the course of troubleshooting, I was able to find a VERY noisy ground connection from all of the grounding points on everything connected to the UPS to where the actual house ground is located. My ground block for the coax lines was bonded to the house ground while everything else was grounded through the power line on the UPS (which is connected to the electrical panel, which is grounded to the house ground). Turns out the UPS wasn't providing a solid ground through it's own power cable and needed a separate ground cable that's bonded (separately) to the house ground.

I did this by using a basic digital multimeter set to continuity check and using the buzzer. A good ground gives a solid tone. What I was getting on everything but the ground blocks was a growling tone. Once I added a separate ground connection to the UPS's grounding port (a screw with a locking washer), I got solid tone on everything and all the symptoms went away.