Bad Tuner/LNB??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by drpjr, Feb 13, 2012.

1. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    I recently refered an older couple to D/Tivo. They have had stand alones for 6-8 years so the HR's are a non starter. The install was last Thursday 2/9and all went well with the install and the D installer. The install includes one Tivo and one H-xx. Yesterday 2/12 they called me and reported several "blank" recordings. After troubleshooting a bit the result was, with anything recording no live channel was available on the other tuner and when recording two shows one is a blank. My first guess is a bad tuner
    Questions:

1. Is there anything in the swim/PI wiring that could cause the issue?

2. Any way to isolate tuner/LNB issues?

They called in yesterday and were cut off twice and could not understand the CSR on the third try and hung up. Needless to say they are ready to "send back" the dish. Is there anything to try before a service call? Any input would be appreciated.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It could be a bad tuner. With SWM there's only one satellite cable to feed both DVR tuners. Have they tried resetting the DVR? Is this happening on both the Tivo and the H-xx?

3. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Thanks for the response. The new Tivo was indeed defective right out of the box. It took a couple of days and a house call for a replacement. Had they not been three day old customers the wait was reported to be a week. They ordered an extra Tivo remote during the process and D sent a standard one.:nono2: 0 for 2 with a new customer and that's not including the CSR shuffle. Fortunatly we are close friends as they chided me about being so high on D and the referral. Thought maybe I was just high.;)