1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Tuner?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by CobraGuy, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    I had to move my dish. Mounted it, ran new RG6Q cable....two cables from the dish directly to my HR-20...no splitters or multiswitches...and realigned the dish. My reception is outstanding...better than it was when the installer did the job. But I'm only getting a signal through Tuner 1. Nothing from 2. I hooked my signal meter to the cables at the receiver and both receive an equal signal. I have swapped the cables between the tuners. I have swapped the filters...and even eliminated the filters...still the same. Nothing on 2. D* says I've lost a tuner...which I believe....and they are sending me a new "refurbished" receiver. But that means I will lose all my recorded programs...which really sucks.

I guess I don't understand how you can lose a tuner simply by unplugging the receiver, moving the dish, and plugging it back in. It just doesn't make sense. Am I missing a step somewhere? Do I need to flip a switch somewhere in the software? I've tried multiple boots by unplugging the receiver and plugging it back in. Nada. Zip.

Any suggestions you can think of?

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I'd say that sounds like a bad tuner since you've switched everything and still have nothing. I guess it could have been on the verge of failing and just went out once it lost power.....

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Or you didn't unplug the receiver before you played with the wiring and shorted out the tuner by accident. You do know there is 18 volts on the coaxial cable.:)

4. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    Yep. I knew that. But you can use the meter with the receiver powered up and use the meter as a pass through. But you're correct...cutting coax, improper handling, etc of the cable with the receiver powered up will cause a short.

However, last night I gave one last attempt at this thing. I removed both filters and plugged the cables directly to the receiver and rebooted. Bingo! I have both tuners! Then, I removed the cables and installed the filters. I'm still good to go. I have no idea what was going on. I don't know if it's a tuner or a software problem. But it works again.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    RF cables can drive you crazy each time you connect them, you can get a different result. What might have been it is the BBCs [what you called filters] as they have shown to be bad with some installs. FWIW you might want to "play" with them until you can prove they are good or bad, as you will need them for the new SATs [but don't need them now].

6. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Plug both in and reset the IRD. If you reset it with either one out it will boot with only with one activated.

7. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    I did that several times....both BBC's connected. (thanks veryoldschool...I couldn't remember what they were called other than "filter") Nothing. Only when I rebooted with neither of them did it work. Then, all I did was unscrew the cables and install the BBC's (without a reboot) and it worked fine. I have no idea.

Thanks for the info though on rebooting with only one installed. I didn't realize that.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    So when you have time, I'd reboot with the BBCs installed and see if both tuners still are on line. If one of them drops off line again, I'd have D* replace the Bad BBC, so everything is set for the new SATs. You can imagine how many people will be screaming about not getting their new HD...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.