1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bad week with D*...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bjlc, Apr 14, 2012.

1. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    so I had to move my D* to some where other then my roof.. I called D* and made an appointment.. I had the day off on Tuesday.. and I had scheduled it a week in advance.. I had inquired to what it would cost me to move my dish.. for a simple move NOTHING.. meaning not one on a pole.. if a pole mount was needed $75 bucks.. okay.. agreed upon..

so two guys show up.. not on time, but in the time frame.. no big deal.. however.. this guy gets right in my face.. saying, you want a pole.. $150.. cash.. now.. WHAT? what are you saying? $150.. that's it.. the quote was, its the difference between a Directv guy and an independent contractor..

I had gone right to an Atm to pay these guys.. and even gotten extra if needed for a tip.. but I wasn't prepared for this..

now this guy wants to put my dish in the direct middle of my yard like a statue.. I explain to him, where I can have the dish.. NO Way he says.. there is no clearance there.. none.. you won't get any signal.. maybe 50.. at best.. I know my land, I am an expert on maps and map reading.. I know true north on my land and south southwest.. the area where I picked out was perfect.. no he says.. I say try it.. so he brings the dish.. and while holding it in his hand gets between 60 and 75... so now.. he has to move the cables.. stomps on my wifes flowers.. and finally mounts it.. all he did was point it south west.. and no adjustments later.. right from the roof.. I get high 90's.. . and he stayed being a jerk the whole time..

now later in the week, I put a different tv in my bedroom.. a sony trinitron .. it has red, green blue, rca plug adapters.. So I try to hook my D* box to the tv.. the picture comes out twisted , like in the old days with a bad horizontal or vertical twist.. I call D*... the little girl in tech support.. doesn't know what it means when the vertical or the horizontal is not working.. ( it only does this on the green , blue and red cables, and not the other input.. ).. so I am on the phone with her.. she claims she is going to run a "system check".. 10 minutes. I realize that she has hung up on me.. because she didn't know what I was talking about.. I call again.. this kid.. a good kid.. says.. I will have some one come over tomorrow.. TO FIX THIS.. either its a bad output from the box or something.. instead.. the local D* guy doesn't come over.. he calls and claims he will talk me through the fix.. so I come home from work.. he doesn't answer.. and he told my wife to call him.. so another night with out that working correctly.. all he had to do was show up.. what if the receiver was bad? if it could be talked through. then come and fix it.. I am paying for the service.. and pay for the emergency service.. FIX IT..

other then that I still like D* picture and sound.. their product is great, their installers SUCK.. at least the guys that I have had recently..

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Cant help you with the installer attitude, but from the description, you need to google your Sony TV, specifically the component input, and find out what signal it requires. Older Sonys with component only allowed 480i on the input, I think there were some that only allowed 480i or 1080i but would not accept 720p.

While watching the squigglies, hit the RES button on the front panel until you get to 480. If that fails, hit 204 on the remote. That channel is not HD. When you are on 204, if the 720 or 1080 light are on, you will need to hook that box up to an HDTV temporarily, and DISABLE NATIVE, and select the resolutions your Sony accepts. I would start with 480 only, and then test each one with the box. If you get squigglies, then wait until it switches back to 480, and try the next one.

I really think the box is OK. The green cable carries the sync, so if you have issues after doing the above, replace the green cable only, with a spare yellow one to test.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I would make sure to send feedback to DIRECTV about this contractor, someone needs to have a talking to.

4. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    huh?

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    So it was working, and you hooked it up to a different tv? And you want D* to fix what you screwed up? 1st take Devenlr's advice and check to see if your tv is fully compatible, and go from there.

6. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    It's a Sony Trinitron, right? Then it's a standard definition TV that has a component input. What you are seeing is the TV trying to sync up to a 480p, 720p or 1080i signal. The more diagonal lines on the screen, the higher the resolution.

The solution? Turn off ALL resolutions other than 480i. That's the only one that will work with your TV. But be prepared-all DirecTV HD receivers output 480p while in the setup or reset menus..

Better solution? If your TV has it, switch it to a S-Video cable and input. You still get a superior component input but no 480p issues on reset.

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You might want to consider taking the Sony Trinitron to a antique dealer or pawn shop and upgrading to a compatible TV.

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I would Upgrade my TV to an HDTV and Enjoy True HD in all it's Glorious Splendor. :)

9. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    My old analog tv had the same problem with an HD box.

Solution. The tech had to use actual rca cables from the box to the tv. The yellow, white, and red. Do not use the converter cable from the box to the red, blue, and green connectors on the tv.

Set the box to send 480i signals.

You can, however, set the box to view HD channels which will have a black bar at the top and bottom on your tv.

10. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    If the guy was being a dick, then why did you even let him do the install? I've sent more than one contractor packing. If you're not happy with the install, call DirecTV and have them send out a supervisor to inspect.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    While there may have been an issue with the install appt., please check the OP's posting history, it will give you a much clearer picture of this situation.

12. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    well no.. I don't post every day.. or many times a day.. I come here every day.. I don't feel a need to post or give an opinion.. however.. if I have a problem, which I do here and now, I post it..

this should be a place where you deal with problems..and not get ripped, or have a personal dig..

I post here when I have a need.. and not idle pratter..

13. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    as for upgrading my tv.. I am trying to live within my means.. and that means NEEDS and not wants get taken care of first.. I am not going to go into debt, to buy a tv, when I have one that works very well. its fiscal responsibilty.. and I am trying to hold to that.. at this point in time.. we live in a state that is last in the economic recovery. and due to the same governor.. not only have our family gone with out raise, we have taken a severe pay cut..

14. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Did you even try the suggestions?

15. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1

16. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You experienced a "isolated" incident with the installers that were sent to your location. You're entitled to your "opinion" but stating all DirecTV installers SUCK is far from being fact. Service calls are given windowed time frames (08:00-11:00, ect.). If the installers were at your location within the "agreed" window how could they not arrive on time as you stated? As for your situation with the CSR are you sure she hung up as you stated or were you disconnected?

17. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    Makes sense now. I was confused with "not on time, but in the time frame", since if the guy was within the time frame, he was on time.

While I'm just speculating, I suspect that the installer's attitude may have been caused by the demands of the OP. I know I've annoyed installers and even one asked me to go away (and I did). I know that I don't like someone breathing down my neck when trying to get something done and my attitude quickly deteriorates when someone starts making demands.

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All someone wants you to do is correct the settings that are incorrect for that tv and change cables....NOT D*'s responsibility, its all on you.

19. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    if you read my post.. I had no problem with the TIME FRAME.. its the $150 DEMAND to put my dish on a pole.. and TWO.. to tell me that I don't know where true north or south is.. like I said, I am an expert at reading maps.. and have been my whole life.. I also have an inert feel for north.. and south.. in fact the only place I don't have this feeling is at Disney World.. or leaving it.. and I have discussed this with my wife..

why.. is my dish now signal reading.. 100 on one channel setting? meaning, that my place for the dish was fairly spot on.. so to one , try and cheat me out of $75 dollars and two to decide to tell me that I don't know my own property enough to know true north and south.. that's my complaints.. and trust me, I wasn't anticipating anything like this.. in fact brought extra cash to tip , if the install went well. I don't know how you can rip me on this , but I am sure that one or two of you will certainly try..

20. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    WHERE are you, and what is the magnetic variance for your locale?