1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bamboom -- it will let you watch live broadcast TV anywhere you can get a Web connection

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by rmedeiros, May 31, 2011.

1. rmedeiros

rmedeiros New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Wall Street Journal -- All Things Digital May 29, 2011 at 5:20 am PT

Your iPad can do lots of things, but live TV generally isn’t one of them. With a few exceptions, the TV networks don’t want their programming going out live anywhere but your big screen, under their supervision.

Here’s a start-up that wants to change that: Bamboom says it will let you watch live broadcast TV anywhere you can get a Web connection, on whatever device you want.

We’ve seen versions of this before. FilmOn and Ivi both offered something similar last year, and both tried to argue that they had the same right to distribute broadcast TV signals that cable companies did. And both have been slapped down by the courts.

But Bamboom has a Rube Goldberg-like approach that might hold up to the inevitable legal challenge: The company will assign a tiny broadcast antenna to each customer, and will move the TV signal from the antenna to the cloud, where it can move it to any device with a browser. One customer, one stream.

That seems laborious and expensive, but it’s the same legal construction that Cablevision has used to provide a remote DVR service for its customers, and the Supreme Court has signed off on that idea. (Not coincidentally, that one customer/one use idea is the same one Amazon and Google are using to provide cloud-based music lockers without sign-off from the big labels.)

Read more here: http://allthingsd.com/20110529/heres-how-you-might-be-able-to-watch-live-tv-for-free-on-your-ipad/

2. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Nice find.

Here is Bamboom's video explaining their service. I found it tough to watch (boring). It's like someone's daughter did the narration. ;)

I know - I know, I'm being picky, but their web site and video leave a little to be desired. I like the idea however, and I hope it works.

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Interesting twist on the idea. Hope it works out for them.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Sounds good.

In market? Out of market? Select stations/channels? Distant nets?

Bada bing bada boom!

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Interesting, very interesting. Assuming that I could get say Fox or CBS from any market in the country "on demand" so to speak then if my Bears aren't on my local Fox station then I could fire up Baboom and watch Fox out of Chicago to get the Bears game. Again assuming that is how it works (very little actual information on their web site).

I tried to sign up for the beta but it's only for New York City at this point.

Thanks for the info, I have bookmarked it for sure and will keep tabs on it.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wouldn't let me do the beta testing and I can see the City from my roof. Disappointing.

Rich