Banner and progress bar, etc. but no video or audio...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by CenturyBreak, May 23, 2020.

1. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    This is a new hiccup for me.

My venerable, but otherwise bulletproof HR20 did this when I turned it on Wednesday morning. Menus etc. were fine, the banner and progress bar displayed as normal, showing the active channel and, well, progress... but no picture or sound. o_O

When I switched to any SD channels it was fine, and also with OTA local channels, but not on HD sat channels. Similarly with recordings, with the one difference that video would display for HD sat recordings and immediately freeze, while audio would play normally.

A menu restart/reset seemed to solve the issue... until it returned at lunchtime today.

Now, this is of course, an older piece of kit... and being bulletproof doesn't last forever! it also has a 2TB WD Green drive in an esata Thermaltake dock... and said WD Green has lasted longer than anyone could reasonably ask, but does this sound more like an issue with the HR20 finally getting flakey or the drive?

Right now, it's in the middle of another menu restart... let's see if it fixes it again, and for how long! :)

Of course, with a 73% full 2TB drive, a reboot of any kind takes nearly 30 minutes. :eek:

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    After it reboots and issue remains perform a System Test.

3. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    Thanks for the response, MysteryMan. Rebooting fixed the issue once again, but the same hiccup twice in 3 days leads me to suspect something is amiss.

I'm assuming the approach to take is that if it happens again, reboot and do the System Test anyway?

Edit... are you referring to the system test in the menu (somewhere...) or the one during the 'performing self-check' during the reboot?

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    To perform a System Test use MENU - Settings & Help - Settings - Info & Test. You can also perform a BiST (Built-in Self Test). Reset receiver. When you see Just a few more seconds.. on the TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BiST menu. Follow the prompts.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you have a swim setup or do you have BBCs on two coax cables going into the HR20? Have you checked all the coax cables?

6. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Sounds possibly like some sort of HDCP issue (there's no HDCP on SD channels).

We have an HR20-700 that used to do this exact thing on occasion, but hasn't in the last few years.

Never really ever did figure out why... It never got to the point of having to try different HDMI cable, or even connect to a different TV. It just cleared up on its own.

But that thing is still going, original HDD and all.

Only regular "maintenance" is what I call a "complete reset" (two menu restarts within a half-hour, the second one pulling the power when the lights go out and leaving unplugged for 20 to 30 mins) every six weeks or so.

(For whatever that's worth.)

Also, I don't really think the drive ever caused this symptom, but couldn't say for sure.

I do recall that having a nearly-full 2TB WD green connected to an HR21 did take exceedingly long to restart! (putting an SSD in the dock took care of that, but it needs resets much more often than with the HDD, every bit worth it though).

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  7. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    I have a SWM, and it's not a signal issue as there are no error messages about connecting to the dish or searching for signal, etc.

8. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    Thanks for the comments/ideas!

With a 'handshake' problem, I wouldn't see the menus and banner, just a completely black screen.

Mind you, that's with handshake issues I've occasionally had with other equipment like my Nvidia Shield...

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I had a similar problem earlier this week. My son's H24 ( not HR ) had a frozen picture in the top left corner, nothing else on the screen, but was sectioned off like the guide should be there, and no sound.
    None of the remote keys worked, not even to turn it off.
    I found the red button and pressed it. It started up, however it took at least twice as long as it normally takes after a reset.
    After it started up it performed like it is supposed to.
    If his does this again I will be calling them about a replacement receiver.

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually I’ve seen an Hdcp error where you get no picture but menus still work. It was weird. Some sort of bug...

The receiver is connected directly to the tv right?

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    HDCP isn't required for the menus to display, otherwise it wouldn't be able to display an error message when you tune to a channel that requires HDCP when you don't have it.

Try tuning to one of the test channels, or that preview channel (201 I think it is?) which should not require HDCP. If they work, but regular channels do you, the problem is HDCP.

12. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    I see. I guess it's how the box treats an HDCP issue, whether it's standard across the industry.

I take it that Directv's treatment is to block content rather than all video, which is different from my experience.

However... wouldn't there be an error message presented, like the occasional one we see telling us to use component video connections instead... you know, the one that pops up and disappears nearly immediately?

I'll try your suggestion first the next time it happens... which is hopefully never... but I won't hold my breath! ;)

13. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    I've only seen the content/component video error pop up on my HR23 occasionally, but this is new for the HR20

I can see how a handshake issue could occur, given that it's actually running through an HDMI switch before an A/V receiver, then to the TV! :cool:

I did try resetting the HDMI switch connection before anything else, tho'... perhaps I'll try resetting the A/V receiver as well before doing anything else (system test or restart) with the HR20.

Thanks!

14. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I think the "newer" (HR44 and above) actually do block all video with HDCP, whereas the older H/HR is by content.

Could be wrong, but it's been my experience (recalled after some thought).

Another thing I hadn't tried was disconnecting the HDMI altogether and using component (not practical for the installation of our HR20, but could've been tried experimentally if needed).

At least if that worked you could still view your recordings.

15. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    Thanks... I'm also considering that as a troublehooting step... but it'll be a last resort, requiring pulling apart everything to get it hooked up via component cables... assuming I can find the ones I haven't used in well over a decade! :cool:

16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok something to try... next time you have this issue and you see it’s repeatable on the same program over and over, temporarily connect the hdmi cable direct to the tv and see if that same program with the issue still has the issue. If possible of course...

Is it a powered hdmi switch? If not that is likely the issue.

17. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    Thanks... I'd thought of that and it's going to be step 2 (or 3) in my troubleshooting if/when it happens again!

It's not a powered HDMI switch... although it seems to be drawing some juice from the HDMI cable(s) as it has enough to power its indicator LEDs and switch via a remote control. Mind you, it can't be a result of the switch being essentially passive rather than active (assuming such beasts exist for HDMI) as this exact setup has been running fine for years. Mind you again, it could be a case of something with the switch or the A/V receiver going funky and screwing up the HDCP handshake... ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I think your switch is powered. Otherwise it likely wouldn’t have a remote. Are you sure it’s not plugged into power. I’ve never heard of a non powered hdmi switch with a remote. They absolutely exist, the majority of them are powered.

And if it’s really not then that absolutely most likely your issue even if it has worked in the past. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. Their is an issue with keys being properly used with passive switches. If yours has been working you fell into the lucky group. Not the norm. Plus software updates for any of your equipment could kill it too, which I have not seen happen with powered switches.

19. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    It's not externally powered... i.e. it doesn't have a wallwart plugged into an outlet. I suspected that, like USB, HDMI carries some DC power, and it does... just not anywhere near what USB does! As I understand it, it's a similar 5 volts DC, but a minuscule 50 ma. Enough to power the indicator LEDs and do the switching, of course.

20. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Then get that switched out with a powered one and I’d bet all your issues would go away.

I realize your argument of it worked before makes sense to you but the reality is you where lucky as heck because I can’t think of anybody who’s had a non powered hdmi switch work properly and consistently. Powered however no problem generally.

I’d get one of these... based on how many devices you switch.... unless you could use a matrix Switch. They sell those too... just go through the menu to av matrix switches.

AUDIO VIDEO SWITCHES - HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020 at 10:20 PM