1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banner pop up when a timer fires - Not a Bug

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by David_Levin, Jul 8, 2005.

Do you like the Banner that pops up when a timer fires?

1. Yep, I like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, never - it distracts me

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Only Sometimes, it really should be an optional feature

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  1. Jul 8, 2005 #1 of 10
    David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Banner pop up when a timer fires...

I thought this was a bug, but apparently its was an added feature with L211.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=43753
    Comments?

2. Jul 8, 2005 #2 of 10
    Rovingbar

Rovingbar Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    How about option 4, it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

BTW, one nice thing about the banner is that it is a signal that the timer actually DID fire. Are there any known cases of the banner showing up without a proper recording?

:)

3. Jul 9, 2005 #3 of 10
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    If that is a feature it has to be about the stupidest thing they could have done.

4. Jul 9, 2005 #4 of 10
    tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    I never see it. Not sure if its because I turned off timer popup on menu 4 2.

I do see the standard channel banner popup, timer or no timer, on the hour.

5. Jul 9, 2005 #5 of 10
    boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    At first it bothered me but I got used to it just like I got used to all the different stations identification logos/icons located at the lower right corner of picture. At least the banner flash isn't recorded to DVD!

6. Jul 9, 2005 #6 of 10
    AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    If it popped up to describe the event (timer function) that was occurring then maybe it would be okay, but it pops up to tell you what you’re already watching (hmmm, I think I already know that) – And it sure messes up transfers. Whenever I want to backup some recordings to DVD, I have to go in and interrogate the timers to make sure that one won’t fire during the transfer (which goofs up the copy.) If they want to leave it in, how about making it a user setting – better yet, making it a user setting that shows some worthwhile information. :grin:

7. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    If it is working as intended that makes it a "design flaw" rather than a bug. Either way it doesn't need to be there. I find the red light on the front panel to be an adequate indicator of a recording in progress.

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Why do you think that?

ANyway, for those in power - check this poll and the other one (in bug forum), and take the bleeping thing out!

Thank you!

9. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I am not sure if you are talking about the pop up that menu that shows when a recording started. If that is what you are talking about, then I like the idea, I just wish it would tell you what you are cording, not show you what you are watching

10. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    oops I mean DVR not DVD :eek2: My BAD.