1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bar with weird H24 issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Tallgntlmn, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    A buddy of mine has been adding TV's to a bar. He is having a strange issue with his H24's. The H24's do not tune channels in 1080. Those channels come through as SD. He has checked CBS, NBC, their respective sports channels, and 306. None tune 1080. Another weird thing is channel 649 will not tune.

The setup is not optimal. There is a SL5 on the roof feeding 3 6x8 zinwells. Those feed home runs to the TV's. He knows he should go SWM but the owner is balking at cost.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm fresh out of thoughts on this. Thanks guys. If you guys say SWM is the only way that will help.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Has he gone into the Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences and chosen to Show All Channels or Hide SD Duplicates ?
    Then change the Favorite to All Channels I get,
    then choose the HD version of the channel.

It is possible that he has made a Favorites list and chosen the SD version of the channels.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    A buddy of mine has been adding TV's to a bar. He is having a strange issue with his H24's. The H24's do not tune channels in 1080. Those channels come through as SD. He has checked CBS, NBC, their respective sports channels, and 306. None tune 1080. Another weird thing is channel 649 will not tune.

The setup is not optimal. There is a SL5 on the roof feeding 3 6x8 zinwells. Those feed home runs to the TV's. He knows he should go SWM but the owner is balking at cost.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm fresh out of thoughts on this. Thanks guys. If you guys say SWM is the only way that will help.

How exactly are those switches hooked up?

And dd he go into the menu and make sure he checked the resolutions?

Are the tvs hooked up component or hdmi?

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Assuming the receivers and TVs have the proper connections and settings, my first hunch is that maybe he forgot to add the BBCs, thinking that the H24 worked like the H23 and didn't need them? Another possibility would be if the 6x8 switches are cascaded instead of being fed by splitters - that might cause some problems, especially since a bad port or bad cable could affect all the receivers hooked up to the switch cascaded below it. Cascading is also more likely to be a problem the greater the distance between the dish and the switches, especially if the cascaded switches are some distance apart. Hopefully he's tried basic troubleshooting like swapping ports with a working HD receiver on a different switch?

I do wonder, how is cost a concern for SWM? I assume it is the labor cost being quoted that is making the price too high for him, and/or the markup on the hardware? I upgraded my bar to SWM early this year from a WB16/WB68 legacy setup. I bought a pair of SWM-16s off Ebay for $60/ea, then 4 dual power passing diode steered satellite splitters for about $3/ea off soldsignal.com. Only took a few hours to do, most of the time was climbing ladders to remove BBCs and redoing satellite setup on the receivers.

Everything has been so rock solid since I upgraded, it would have been worth it to me even if I had paid $1000 for someone else to do it. Wish I'd done it a few years ago, but I hadn't taken the time to educate myself about this stuff until then to know what an improvement it would be and how cheap/easy it was to do it myself (and I have to thank VOS and others on dbstalk.com for answering my stupid questions when I was learning this stuff)

While there's no reason a legacy install can't be just as reliable as a SWM install, there are a lot more things that can go wrong with a legacy install than with SWM, and those legacy problems are much more likely to be intermittent and hard to diagnose.

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    If more than one Zinwell is being run from one dish, each 'port 1' needs to be on the same LNB output, same for 2, 3, and 4.

You are essentially 'locking each of the 4 ports on the LNB to 101 odd, 101 even, etc because you can't have one port output two different streams at the same time.

{if somebody wants to post that diagram I can't find, feel free. It is way better than me trying to describe it}

6. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    not really sure why you guys are trying to diagnose the switch install when he is not having signal issues, hes having channel problems

So either its the resolution setttings not checked, the channel display to hide hd, or lastly its on directvs side, a bar i installed didnt have HD yet was supposed to be activated on account, it was something on directvs end

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The only reason resolution settings would be 480i only or the guide set to hide HD would be because someone deliberately set it that way. The only reason for that would be if they were originally hooked to SD TVs.

Maybe I'm assuming too much, but based on OP using the words "adding TVs" rather than "replacing TVs" I assume these are new HDTVs and new H24s, and thus would not be set to SD only. I also assume if he's an installer he's smart enough to double check that. Finally, I assume there are other working HDTVs that display in HD, which is the source of his confusion. I base that final assumption on the "what bar that has enough TVs to need 3 WB68s would be getting its first HDTVs in 2013??" factor :rolling:

8. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Well it seems my buddy has called it a day on this install. The 480i issue was resolved by changing the resolution via front panel if I recall correctly.

The switches in the bar are not cascaded. They are connected to splitters. The issue the now is that on a H24, channel 649 does not tune. On any older receiver on the same drop, it does tune. Since he has called it a day, it's now more of a wonder than a need to fix. I do t recall if it was a 721 error or other. The H24's are mirrored off the other boxes in the bar so the access card should be correct. That's the weird part to me is that the newer receivers won't tune that channel.