Barrel connectors

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TAK3210, Dec 17, 2011.

1. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    I bought some barrel connectors on eBay that were described as "Cable Barrel Connectors RG6 DirecTV Approved" and from the picture for them they looked to have a blue insert. But, now that they've arrived, they actually have a somewhat opaque looking white insert. So, how hard and fast a rule is it that DirecTV compatible barrel connectors have a green or blue insert? Any way to tell if what I received are actually "DirecTV approved"?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    You didn't get what you bought, so if you have a problem with them, set up a return with the seller or file a complaint with eBay.

D* does have *approved* connectors, but I used Ideal connectors for my wire runs.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  4. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011

Ok, the picture in the link you provided looks exactly like what I received. Question, though...ProSatelliteSupply also sells a blue barrel connector (see link below) that they say is for hi-def and SWM. Are those not really necessary?

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/f81_hi-freq_barrel_connectors.htm

Thanks,
    Tom

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I tend to think these are all merely marketing.
    You really can't change the performance without making them physically different, and then they wouldn't fit the coax, "or" would have an air dielectric.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You will see no difference nor your measuring will show it.
    In case you have professional equipment, then perhaps you will see 0.1 dB variation.

7. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Cool. Thanks guys.

8. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Blues out guys. Get with the times. The new D* approved barrel is orange! They changed it because orange boosts signal much more than blue or white. :lol:

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Damn colors!

10. dkouz

dkouz AllStar

May 5, 2007
    I disagree.

There is a reason that on every job we replace those white and clear barrels.

I have run into over a hundred cases where a white or clear barrel caused whole home DVR to not function. In a few of those cases, the SWiM didn't work at all at that outlet.

Sir, you got screwed.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What you've seen is a "bad barrel".
    Whole Home runs at 525-575 MHz, "so if anything" would work with the lowest "rated" barrel made.
    If you have any doubts about the colored connectors, take a look at the connectors DirecTV's suppliers use on their hardware.
    The WB68 is a good example of the crappiest connectors, yet they work fine above 2 GHz.
    Look at any receiver, splitter, or PI and what color do you see?
    There are just too many "installer myths" being passed around. :nono:

12. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Well, color me :confused:

But, I've rearranged my original plan, so I hopefully won't need to use any anyway.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You don't have to be. Just check all connectors to see that they're in "good condition", as it doesn't matter what color it is, if it's a "bad connector". ;)

14. TAK3210

TAK3210 Legend

Dec 11, 2011
    Well, I got a bag of ten for around 5 bucks, so if I end up needing one, I'll have plenty to choose from. :D

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This is kind of a pet peeve of mine, like "Monster cables".
    The color of the dielectric doesn't change the performance of the connector. Monster would have you pay a fortune for a cable that isn't any better than a "reasonably priced" one.
    The color of these connectors is there for merely color coding, and Red is used for marking the DC ports.
    The F81 barrel is a higher quality [manufactured] than some really cheap, crappy, barrels for use with either RG59 or RG6.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I just spent about a half hour searching Google for F81 barrel connector colors. I did not find anything that suggests the insert color has any significance.

There are some barrel connectors that are certified to some frequency or another. Typically what that means is that they are tested to meet that criteria, whereas other (less costly) connectors that are not tested are not certified. But that does not mean the less costly connector isn't just as good, it simply means it hasn't been "proven" that it is as good. The incremental manufacturing processes to have that "proof" add to the cost.

Some manufacturers may use different color inserts to differentiate their products, but there does not appear to be a standard involved. So brand x may be green while brand y may be blue, etc.

Looking at several retailers, they clearly state in their product listings that "insert color may vary" for their high frequency rated barrel connectors.

So the conclusion I am drawing from all of this is: You may purchase a high frequency rated barrel connector and find that it has a blue or green insert, but the fact that a connector has a blue or green insert does not mean it is high frequency rated.

As to whether or not using a high frequency rated barrel connector makes a difference (regardless of what color insert it has), my personal experience is that it makes no difference at all. That is based on use in both conventional and SWM systems, and in DECA and non-DECA systems. I have specifically tried both types of barrel connectors and found no real-life difference in how they perform. That isn't to say someone with a $5000 service monitor might not be able to measure a difference, but it would not translate into any difference in day to day operation of a DIRECTV system.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    With my background in using network analyzers and measuring things like this for years, "I doubt" any difference can be measured. Any slight differences would be the same as measuring various connectors "from the same batch".

18. dkouz

dkouz AllStar

May 5, 2007
    I'll buy that.

I don't buy that there is no difference between the 'DirecTV approved' connectors and the clear ones. If it's testing or manufacturing quality I don't know. What I do know is that in the thousands of homes I've been in, clear barrels are a common problem source. This is why when I go into a house, they get replaced.

That's no myth.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While you didn't reply to me, your "no myth", suggests you are directing this at me somewhat.
    You should be commended for changing out all the wallplate barrels. Contractors use the cheapest parts they can get away with.
    The manufacturing process doesn't electrically test connectors. They insure the process yields a level of quality only.
    To test connectors would increase costs by factors of ten. I know this from doing this type of testing, when the customer was paying for it.

You're not getting paid to do a failure analysis of these "bad connectors", so it makes sense to merely change them out for known good connectors.

"The myth is" all clear and white connectors are faulty [by design]. The simplest proof of this is looking at approved DirecTV equipment, where both clear and white connectors are used.

20. satman85

satman85 New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    I contract for Dish and I'm required to change out all barrels with blue color this means they are rated to 3 ghz.