1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basement Viewing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HiDuck, Dec 31, 2012.

1. HiDuck

HiDuck AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    We are pretty much a two TV house, one in the TV Room and one in the Master Bedroom. We have a spare TV down in the basement and this is where the question lies. My wife would like to use the spare TV in front of the Treadmill during her daily workouts to catch up on all the shows she has recorded. What options do I have either from D* or Homebrewed? Funds are tight so just looking for the most inexpensive option.
    Equipment:
    HR24-500 – TV Room
    HR21-200 – Master Bedroom
    Whole-Home DVR Subscription
    Extra Info:
    From the TV Room I have an extra Coaxial and Cat5 port running down through the structured wiring to the basement.

2. HiDuck

HiDuck AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    Sorry I thought I posted in the installation area so if this needs to be moved please do so. Thanks.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The easy thing to do would be to add an additional receiver or DVR downstairs. If you contact DirecTV, you might be able to get one for free. If so, the only additional cost would be the $6/month for the receiver. In that case, I would try to get a DVR. That would get you additional recording space and 50 more Series Lists that you can create.

Another option would be to use the coax you have from the family room down to the basement. As all the outputs on the HR21 are active at once, you could use the composite output to an RF modulator to put the signal on the coax cable. In the basement, you would have another RF modulator to convert back to composite. You could then use an RF remote so that the remote would work down in the basement for the HR21 in the TV room. With this method though, the same thing would have to be viewed on the TV in the TV room and basement.

- Merg

4. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    If the TV in the basement is fairly close to being below one of your other DVR's, here is another option. You could run a long composite or component cable from one of your existing DVR's to the TV in the basement. Then use the RF option for your remote, so you can control the DVR. (FYI, all outputs on the DVR are active. So provided you aren't using that output for your TV upstairs and you have a way to fish that type of cable to your basement, it would work)

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There are also ways to send hdmi over cat 5, but it may not be the most cost effective solution.

6. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    I have a "Hybrid" of this arrangement, that has worked well for over a year.
    My situation...TV in basement,HR21 in the Office,which is directly above the TV location in the basement and a bedroom TV, which is directly above the Office. With the wife's approval(LOL!!) I drilled holes in the ceiling and floor of the Office, ran Component cables to the bedroom and HDMI cable(30') to the basement. Using RF remote I can watch programming and control everything from either location. PQ is just fine for us at either TV. Only expense was for 30' of HDMI cable which I got for about $16.

Hope this helps.....

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    That's actually what I have, but it is a bit more expensive. I have about a 75 foot cat5e run though, so a long HDMI cable was out of the question.