1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic HR34 questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BlackDynamite, Feb 20, 2012.

1. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    So I know there are a bunch of threads on the HR34, but none of them seem to tell me what I need to know. Maybe they do if I read all of them from start to finish, but that is several hundred pages and I don't have time for that.

What I am wondering is:
    1: Dot you need some kind of converter or adapter or something to make your TV compatible with the HR34? If so, what is it called and how much is it? My TVs are connected via HDMI right now. I'm assuming this will have to change with the HR34?

2: Also, what type of cable is used to carry the signal from the HR34 to the converter/adapter box at the tv?

3: In addition to that, what is the box called that lets you view over the air broadcasts and how much does that thing cost?

4: This HR34 records 5 different channels at the same time, is that correct? And does this mean I can watch 5 different channels at the same time (if I have 5 separate TVs connected to it)?

5: Is it possible to have a few HR34 units stacked on top of each other in a closet with cables run to the TVs (or the adapter boxes, which would sit right next to the TVs) and the remotes still work?

6: If it is possible to do this, would the box that allows for local channels sit in the closet with the HR34 or would it go next to the TV?

7: How many simultaneous over the air channels can you view simultaneously if you have whatever box enables the over the air connected to the HR34? And can these over the air channels be watched on different TVs simultaneously (different channels)? And how many over the air channels can it record at the same time? And if you are recording/watching over the air channels, does that reduce the total number of channels that can be recorded/watched if they were all satellite broadcasts?

I'm going to be moving soon and when I do I want to upgrade to the HR34. When I call to place the order I want to tell the rep exactly what I need so I don't have to worry about any future issues. The answers to these questions should allow me to figure out what exactly I need.

Thanks in advance.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    At its most basic, think of it as an HR24, though it requires SWM. I connect mine to my Denon via HDMI.

AM21, $50 I believe.

Only if you have Samsung RVU TVs. Otherwise, you'll need receivers on each TV. In that mode, the HR34 can record 5 things at once. Without RVU, the most live tv you can do at once is PIP on one TV. it can serve more via whole home than a normal DVR (3?), but that's recordings.

I don't use the AM21, so don't know e other answer to that. RF remotes work, and you can set multiple codes.

3. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Isn't there some sort of RVU adapter you can put on a regular tv to make the HR34 think it's connected to an RVU tv, and then get the 5 simultaneous viewings/recordings? If not then there should be.

Also, what the heck is RVU? lol, does it use an ethernet cable or HDMI or how does an RVU tv connect to the HR34?

4. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    There is no Directv RVU adapter box at this time. If/when such a box becomes available, it is thought that the HR34 will still be limited to 3 simultaneous outgoing RVU streams, plus the one or two channels being watched/buffered on the "main" TV directly connected to the box locally.

For more general info about RVU, do a search here at DBSTalk (there's lots of good info but it's scattered around) or check out the RVU Alliance page here:

http://www.rvualliance.org/

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    At this time the only RVU clients are the Samsung TVs. Eventually we will hopefully see some more TVs with it built in, stand alone RVU thin clients (like the C30/C31 that we hope comes out some day), and the one I'm really hoping for which is a Blu-Ray player with a RVU client built in.

6. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Oh dang, I thought you could get the local client adapter boxes already. So much for that, lol.

So without the boxes, what can you simultaneously watch with the HR34? Is it limited to only 1 tv, but 3 simultaneous recordings?

7. Skiman

Skiman Cool Member

Nov 19, 2008
    dpeters is accurate on most of his answers, let me further clarify.

1. Again, dpeters is correct. Think of it as a DVR on steroids ;) Instead of 2 tuners, it has 5, and instead of 500GB of storage, it has 1TB. It also offers Picture-In-Picture. HDMI or component to the TV it will be viewed on.

2. Standard RG6 coax run to the HR34 is a must, but most newer homes already have this (RG59 is inferior as we all know: it can and WILL lead to problems)

3. See dpeters response.

4. This needs some clarification (and this is going to get a little technical, bear with me). Since it has 5 tuners, it can stream recorded content to 3 Whole-Home compatible receivers simultaneously (such as H25s), but no more than 3 since it needs to keep 2 dedicated to itself.

RVU clients are a different story. Those are defined as Smart TVs (currently only provided by Samsung on their 6000 series) which can hook up to an HR34 with merely a coax cable run and BB DECA at the TV and allow full-featured HD/DVR capabilities without the need for a receiver at that location. The HR34 can support up to 8 different clients (Smart TVs); however, only 3 can be actively streaming from the HR34 at one time.

(Hope that didn't confuse you more!)

5. The short, simple answer is Yes, that would work. But I think you're picturing a scenario where only two RF remotes work all your TVs throughout the house and both HR34s, am I right? If that's what you're asking, then the answer is Yes, but with an asterisk and requires a more thorough explanation of how you would have everything set up, what other receivers would you have, any RVU-compatible TVs, etc.

6. The AM21s must be in the same room as the HR34. They connect to each other via a USB port.

7. The answer to all four of these questions ;) is the same: it doesn't matter whether the signals are OTA or DBS. It can only stream a particular feed to 3 other receivers or clients simultaneously. So if you include the TV that the HR34 is directly hooked up to, then the answer is 4.

You're asking a lot of great questions. It's hard to give you definitive answers on all of them because you're leaving out crucial information. How many receivers do you currently have and what kind are they? Are you looking to add the HR34 into your existing system, or are you going to buy RVU-compatible Samsung 6000-series TVs?

Hope this helped a bit more.

8. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The AM21(N) supplies two OTA tuners. Only two OTA channels can be viewed live/recorded simultaneously. If both OTA tuners are in use, then only 3 Sat tuners are available.

9. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Thanks for all the info guys. I think I understand now.

I have HR 21s right now (3 of them). I've been wanting to add a few more receivers though (somewhere between 3 and 5). Then I found out about the HR34 and thought it would let me share a receiver but still watch different channels on several devices (guess I was wrong). I figured since I am going to be moving soon, and the HR34 is available now, this was the time to plan my setup so I know what I need when I make the call to Directv.

None of my TVs are the Samsung that has RVU. I would be connecting via HDMI or component. But I do want to future proof this when I set it all up. So if there is some advantage to using RVU over HDMI, I want the cables ran so that I may someday buy an adapter box that adds RVU to my TV, or even get a new TV that has RVU someday.

Basically, I have 6 TVs and 2 Slingboxes that I want to have access to a tuner. Ideally they would each have their own tuner without interfering with the operations of any of the other TVs. Right now I have some of them sharing the same receivers, but that is something I have been wanting to change for a while now. I was just holding out until I move and hoping the new HR34 would be available at that time (which it looks like it's available now so that is not an issue).

I'm not under any contract with Directv and have never been late on a bill in my approximately 6 years of having their service (with the premiere package or whatever it's called), so hopefully I can get the new customer price. If not, I'll just cancel my service and then reorder it as a new customer.

Thanks for all the info guys, you've all been a great help. I think what I need to do is just treat the HR34 the same as the HR21 except it can record more shows at once. So I need one for each TV, with an AM21 on each one, and then I'll be good to go.

One more question though. If I have an HR34 and an AM21, I can record 2 OTA channels and 3 satellite channels at the same time? Is that correct?

10. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    On the HR34 you can only record up to 5 programs at the same time. This includes the OTA feeds, etc. So the answer to your question is yes; you can record on both OTA channels and then 3 other channels at the same time.

Just remember; even though the HR34 can support up to 8 RVU televisions, only 3 at one time can access the HR34 remotely.

11. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Awesome. Thanks again.

12. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    However, you can ALSO simultaneously download/record an On Demand program through a broadband connection, serve up to three outgoing MRV or RVU streams to other boxes, and watch one more incoming stream recorded on a separate DVR. I've had one of these longer than most (all?) in this thread and I'll tell you, it's a superbly capable box. :)

13. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    Black Dynamite was asking about how many live feeds could be recorded at a time... not how many plus On Demand or what other existing recordings from another DVR you could watch while it was recording. I was only answering the question he posed; not going into other features that were non-related.

14. rpiotro

rpiotro Mentor

Apr 29, 2008
    Why not just get some additional HD receivers for those other TVs? With MRV you can stream from any of your existing DVRs. No additional DVR fees and lower power consumption?

15. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Isn't there only one DVR fee!!!

16. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    MY point, however, is that the box is much more capable than just the sum of how many simultaneous programs can be recorded - a point that is sometimes lost in these threads.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, one DVR fee per account. On a monthly fee basis, there is no price difference between other boxes being DVRs vs receivers or even RVU TVs/clients.

18. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    I can accept that - LOL. I love my HR34 and in my opinion it's the best DVR produced to date by any provider. Sure there a few bugs that need to be ironed out, but that's going to be the case with any new equipment.

19. rpiotro

rpiotro Mentor

Apr 29, 2008
    @jagrim

I dunno. I have been on prepaid lifetime for so long I don't follow the current state. At least you get the power savings and they sure respond a lot better than the DVRs. I have three DVRs here and two receivers. I like the how it all works.

20. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    When you have a setup like that, can you set programs to record from the regular (non DVR) receivers? And do you select which DVR it records to if that is the case? I don't have whole home DVR setup right now so I am not sure how that works.

If the non DVRs are faster to respond and you can record and watch recordings from them, then I may want to go that route too.

Are the non DVRs are faster to respond than the HR34 too? Or are they only faster to respond than the older HD DVRs?

If you can schedule the recordings, watch the recordings, and do everything you could do with an HR34, then I will probably only get 2 or 3 HR34s and the rest just regular HD non DVR receivers. Might save some cash that way. I can't imagine I would ever need to record more than 6 or 9 shows at the same time.