Basic Recording Technique with Hopper 3

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by SDWC, Nov 21, 2017.

1. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Hi All,

Hopefully this is simple, I searched threads and could not find an answer.

I have had a DISH DVR since they were first released. I have always used a technique for recording something "after the fact" that I wanted to save. If I'm watching a program and see a scene I want to keep, I hit skip back or rewind, then hit pause, select Record, then skip forward or FF to Live.

Every DVR I've ever had successfully recorded the program from the time I paused until either the recording stopped or I manually stopped it. With my Hopper 3 when I try this it always seems to start only from Live until it ends. It allows me to rewind but won't capture that part of the recording.

Is the technique different with the H3, an I doing something wrong, or is it a bug/defective device?

As always thank you in advance for any assistance.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    new internal technique/rule

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    H3 is it's own animal. Some times it seems "DISH" is the only thing they carried forward.

4. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    So you wait until the message in the lower right of the corner pops up about recording settings or do you immediately skip forward? I have a Hopper/w Sling (earlier version, same OS) and this seems to work for me but I always wait until the recording settings message appears.

5. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Thank you The Grove, I can't say for certain that I wait for the message but I will try that going forward.

6. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Thank you again TheGrove, that worked.

7. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Glad to help!