1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic reliable OTA tuner - DVR support not needed

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by dlee1964, Apr 5, 2017.

1. dlee1964

dlee1964 New Member

Sep 6, 2015
    United States
    Looking for a good quality OTA tuner for the sole purpose of watching local OTA broadcast in my basement during severe weather events. I already have antenna and coax to the basement but when I upgraded my equipment with Dtv I lost support for OTA. Don't need DVR or even DVR support. Just coax in and HDMI out. Thanks for the help.

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Just guessing what you might need. I would suggest a battery powered TV with an ATSC tuner built in.
    You can find many used ATSC tuners from the digital conversion but they didn't have HDMI outputs.
    Do a google search for ATSC tuner and HDMI see if anything suits your needs.

inkahauts likes this.
  3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Since you want HDMI out, I assume you have an HD TV.
    If yes, just screw the coax to the TV and let it scan the channels and you are all set.

4. dlee1964

dlee1964 New Member

Sep 6, 2015
    United States
    Sorry guys - I clearly left out some detail. Basement = existing HT with projector which has no tuner. Not looking for power out solution. Just need the OTA in the event of heavy rain and loss of Dtv signal.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You might have to use a 2 box solution. All of what I found converts Digital to Analog signals and that is not what you need.
    I have a Channel Master DVR that connects with Coax in and outputs in HDMI.

6. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    The link provided by Jim148 is to the iVIEW 3100STB digital tuner that says it includes:
    • Video Resolution: 1080p, 1080u, 720p, 576p
    • Built in HDMI output

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It does for sure. For some reason I thought it was a different box.
    Good catch.

8. RetFireReg

RetFireReg New Member

Saturday