1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basics of HD connections

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by flaguy, Jul 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. flaguy

flaguy AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    I know, this is a mighty simple question, but I can't seem to find the answer. I'm on the verge of going to an HD DVR after many happy years with my trusty TIVO. What I'd like to know is: Will the new DVR come with an HDMI cable or do I have to supply it.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Most likely it will not come with an HDMI cable, although the installer may be able to supply one at no charge if requested. It's not a bad idea to go to monoprice.com ahead of time and get one.

3. Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot Legend

Oct 11, 2007
    My folks recently got two H20's and they did not come with an HDMI. Neither did my last to HR24's. But the installer that brought mine, gave me a couple. While I can not say for sure, it seems they are no longer in the box. If you get an professional installation, they may give you one.

4. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    Stuart (and others) are dead-on suggesting Monoprice. I have saved a small fortune by purchasing all sorts of cables from them and have never had any product fail or not work as expected. I highly recommend them for cabling.

5. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    http://www.meritline.com/hdmi-cables---c-7737.aspx

Check their Daily Deals section. I've seen a 3pk of 6ft HDMI cables for $6 (and free shipping). They go on sale once a week or so.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV has two types of packaging: Retail and HSP. Retail-boxed receivers will have a full set of cables, so if you lease your receiver from a retailer, you'll get them.

If you order through DirecTV, and a tech brings the receiver, the box will have only a power cable in it. The tech will have a supply of cables on his truck and will use the best-quality cable your TV can support. The installer will generally NOT leave "extras."

The DirecTV-supplied cables work fine, but are definitely low-grade cables, and are only 5' long. They are included for free with your install, though.

If you need something longer than 5', or you want higher grade cables, then http://www.monoprice.com is your solution.

7. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I can't count how many extra HDMI's I've left to hookup xbox 360's. It's a crying shame to see a 360 hooked up using RCA!!!

8. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    Another vote here for Monoprice. They have HDMI in whatever length or even color you could want, they are built like tanks (I've NEVER had a Monoprice cable fail or be DOA) and their prices are ridiculously low compared to almost anybody else I've checked, especially the "premium" cable manufacturers like Monster.

And don't fall for "premium" digital cables, which nearly every retailer will try to push on you. Hey, I've got premium cables for my few remaining analog connections (a DVD recorder and my subwoofer are about all that's left) but digital is digital. Any well-built cable will either pass the signal 100% correctly or will fail so thoroughly that you'll probably not be able to make the HDMI handshake.

9. flaguy

flaguy AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    Thanks for all the info. Now I'm ready to roll.

10. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I think that if the receiver is new then it will come with an HDMI cable, all of mine were new and the DirecTV gave me an HDMI cable for my HR24 but I already had one in place where my cable box was installed so he just told me to do whatever I wanted with it.