1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basketball HOF ballot announced

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by John Corn, Apr 25, 2002.

1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    The nominees
    Players
    Magic Johnson
    Maurice Cheeks
    Adrian Dantley
    Bobby Jones
    Chet Walker
    James Worthy

Coaches
    Larry Brown
    Lefty Driesell
    Lute Olson
    Bill Sharman
    Eddie Sutton

Contributors
    Jerry Colangelo
    Tex Winter
    Junius Kellogg
    Harlem Globetrotters

Veterans
    Earl Lloyd
    Forrest Anderson
    Grady Lewis

Women
    Cathy Rush
    Kay Yow
    Harley Redin

International
    Dino Meneghin
    Drazen Petrovic
    Pedro Ferrandiz

Lefty DEFINITELY deserves in. So does Larry Brown and Lute Olson. Johnson and Worthy are locks, and I'd love to see Mo Cheeks get in, too. Globetrotters would be a nice addition as well.

2. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Drazen Petrovic

At the risk of being morbid... What did he ever do?

3. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I know what you mean James, (good point) just remember they only fall under the International Catagory......that would be the only way I would vote them in. :)

I think he deserved it.
    Apart from posthumous reasons, Drazen and Arvidas Sabonis can be easily considered the all-time best european players.

Regarding Pedro Ferrandiz:
    For those who hasn't ever heard of him (most of you, I guess), he's one of the brightest coaches and basketball knowledgeables in Europe. He nowadays has a great basketball foundation (like a basketball museum)in Spain.

Just for curious, he is one of those who made a rule to be invented. It was back in the 60's when he was coaching Real Madrid (at that time the best european team) in a playoffs matchup against a Russian team, I think. The eliminatory consisted in two games (one home and one away) so not only winning matters but also the points difference. In the first of these games (away) and with about 5 seconds left the game was tied. Real Madrid had the ball and Ferrándiz ordered one of his players to do something nobody had seen before. The player obeyed and scored in his own basket!! Why?? Because many of Real's best players were fouled out and if the game would've gone into overtime (the tie would force it) their opponents would've won by more points.
    Then, in the second game played in Madrid, Real came back from that 2 points deficit and reached the next round.
    It was considered like a genious movement by many and others called him tricky.
    But it was due to him that the rule that says it won't be valid to score deliberately in one's own basket.

ok , Im done boring all of you with this.

4. Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    :D

Magic and Worthy from your World Champion Lakers, Lute and Colangelo all deserve it.

Magic and Worthy, that's obvious. Just look at the banners at the Forum and now the reprints at Staples.

Lute is a darn good coach with the Wildcats.

Jerry has done a lot in Phoenix not only with the Suns, but the D'Backs (even if the team is in money problems). He's built new stadiums in downtown Phoenix and just totally revitalized a once run-down neighborhood.