1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC America HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by xmguy, Dec 23, 2009.

1. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I just got a HD upgrade last week. I noticed that TV ads for Doctor Who on BBC America said BBC America HD on channel 264. I punched that in only to see the SD version. So I called D* up and asked if that channel was available in HD they said no. Strange WHY they show an ad for BBC America HD but don't carry it. I figured D* got the HD version when BBC America activated the HD version. Does any one know when/if BBC America will be HD?

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    This has been discussed to death, but what you are seeing is the channel, BBC America refering to itself as "BBC America HD" and then saying it is on channel 264.

The idiots at the BBC America channel went HD, without bothering to touch base with the carriers. When they rolled out HD they discovered there were no takers.. thats right, the first day of HD broadcast not a single carrier had the channel in HD.

To date, DirecTV and Dish have not added the channel, though we all hope D12 will bring it to us finally. Very few carriers have the channel in HD.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    When the new satellite launching at the end of this month gets activated....Maybe 3 or 4 months? Thats my guess.

4. schlagle

schlagle Mentor

Nov 22, 2009
    I used to laugh at people that had Time Warner, with their lack of HD programming, but they actually have significantly more non-sports, non-PPV HD channels than D* now, including BBC America.

It seems every time I visit friends with TWC, they have had new HD channels added, including Headline News, MSNBC, BBC America, ID, Fuse, TCM, AMC, Hallmark Movie Channel, IFC and the Travel Channel that are currently missing from D*.

I can only hope when the new satellite is operational, we will see these and many more added.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Problem with cable vs. satellite is that what you have on your TWC system is not what I have on ours, DirecTV still beats the lineup here.

6. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Not sure how you come to that conclusion! People on AVS Forum seem to rate Directv about number 5 or 6 in HD. Remove the Sports and the figure is even worst.

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Reread his statement...it varies by area and TWC is bad there. :rolleyes:

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I know that TWC in my area doesn't have any of those aforementioned channels. They have something like 10 national HDs and a few local ones as well.

9. juventuz

juventuz Legend

Oct 15, 2007
    Damn, that's horrible. My local TWC offers more national HD than DirecTV does, plus they have the entire HBO suite in HD. The were pathetic until this past spring, then they added over 70 HD in a matter of a few months.

10. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    People tend to forget (or perhaps don't realize) that most cable company offerings vary market to market. Comcast & TWC don't roll channels out nationally.

11. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Actually, the people on AVS Forums already don't count all of the sports.

12. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    I think ths Operative word is "All" I my opinion some of them should not be counted no matter who is carrying them.

13. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    My Bad :(

14. uncrules

uncrules Godfather

Dec 20, 2005
    And TWC adding a bunch of HD can come at a price. In my area TWC has recently been adding a fair amount of HD. But it has come at the expense of PQ. In my local market thread at AVSForum there has been a lot of complaints about PQ since new channels were added and several left TWC for Directv or Dish because of it.

15. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    I know. I'm just disagreeing that it would make D* that much worse since the extra channels already aren't being counted.

16. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    While I'm not happy about the missing channels, I am happy Directv kept their channel per tp limit where it did and held on to a pretty nice PQ.

17. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    With DirecTV having BBCA HD programming on The 101, I'm very confident that we will se BBC America HD when new bird is alive

18. seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    You have to keep in mind that the Top Gear that comes on the 101 is a compilation of various shows put together not the actual BBC shows.

19. juventuz

juventuz Legend

Oct 15, 2007
    In my area TWC uses SDV and the picture quality with their HD is excellent. Same goes for their SD digital channels.

20. TomJ

TomJ Cool Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    In North Texas, I think Time Warner carries the Travel Channel and Halmark Movie Channel in HD, the others in SD.

As things currently stand, after December 31, TW will drop the local Fox channel, the local My Networks channel, FX, SPEED, FUEL TV, Fox Movie Channel, Fox Reality Channel, Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports en EspaƱol, and Fox Sports Southwest. This is just in time for the BCS bowl games, the NFL playoffs, and American Idol. Each side claims the other is greedy.